Menu

Garage sale clothing---am I too paranoid?

That's a good point. Problems can happen, of course, but they are rare, and serious ones are very rare. We've been thrift-clothing several people over twenty years, and never had a problem beyond an item with a cigarette smell that wouldn't come out.

When, for ds, I can get a pair of Banana Republic pants, a Ralph Lauren shirt, a Burberry jacket, and a Museum Artifacts tie for $16 total, when I couldn't buy even one of those items new (even in a lesser brand) for that price, I'm all about the thrift.

Wow, $16! You're my Thrift Hero!

Yes you're too paranoid! LOL :D

If you had any idea of how nasty new clothes were, you would be happy to buy something that had been prewashed!

I will buy used, but prewash it in hot before it is worn. You can get lice from a new item or chair, just as easily as a used one. You can get bedbugs from new stores, just like used items.

One of my most favorite things ever is shopping at the Just Between Friends sales. :001_wub: I dress my boys in nice, good quality clothing and I almost never pay retail. So, I am going to go with: yes, too paranoid.

But to each their own. I don't mind if someone else chooses to buy all their kids' clothes new at babyGap and Gymboree. As long as they keep donating them to Goodwill or selling them in practically new condition at JBF. :D

But to each their own. I don't mind if someone else chooses to buy all their kids' clothes new at babyGap and Gymboree. As long as they keep donating them to Goodwill or selling them in practically new condition at JBF. :D

:lol: Well, any clothes I may donate won't be from Baby Gap, that's for sure! Try WalMart or KMart, that's more in my price range!

And just so everybody knows, I washed them twice in hot water and dried them an excessively long time. Kids are wearing them today. We'll live.

Wow, $16! You're my Thrift Hero!

Not in the same trip, I hasten to add! We are lucky to live near a town where many folks buy quality, and pass them on promptly to the thrifts, which price things at $2 for kids' stuff and $3.50 for adults. Every now and again I'll go looking new for something we've had via the thrift, and I'm shocked at the prices. Those Banana Republic pants go for well over $100, and the RL business shirts are $80 new. I can't imagine how much the Burberry jacket was. I can see buying them new if you are a business person, though, and I'm glad those folks do!

I love the ties in particular - in various thrifts we've found Shakespeare and the Bayeaux Tapestry and ancient Egypt and math and Tintin and even one with microscopic views of a virus. But then we're geeky that way. ;)