Menu

East Coast/Southern People- Help with this BUG BITE!

Oh dear. We just moved from Utah to Virginia. There are SO many bugs here!!!! I have never seen most of these bugs.

Two days ago we were at the pool and my leg itched. I scratched it and found what looked like a mosquito bite. I didn't think much about it because I've had lots of those bites. It was a little raised bump that was a whitish color and it itched.

Well, by that night there was a red, raised rash around the area, about 2 inches in diameter. I was a little concerned and took a Benadryl. It kept getting bigger yesterday, although the redness was getting lighter. Last night it was the size of the palm of my hand.

This morning it is still big, but much, much lighter and looks like it is going away.

Is this pretty normal??? We don't have an established doctor out here yet, which is why I didn't just pop on in. I also feel silly for going in for a bug bite.

Any advice? Does anyone else react to certain insects this way?? What could have bit me???

THANKS!

I had the occasional mosquito bite growing up in S. Calif. - in Illinois I used to get huge hives at the site of the bite for the first few years after moving here. It sounds like you got a hive. Topical anti-itch cream and Benadryl by mouth are about all that you can do.

I am not sure about the particular bug bite, but keep some afterbite in your purse. It is mostly ammonia and if you get it on shortly after getting a bite or a sting it makes a big difference. I do know that horseflies tend to hang around pools but I've never had a reaction that bad from one.

My mom really has major reactions to bug bites and the afterbite makes a big difference to her. She has to get it on almost immediately though.

It was probably a mosquito bite. I react to them in exactly the same way. Starts out small and then a huge red welt that is warm to the touch.

I never used to react to any bites or stings, but now I do. I don't know if it just me getting older or the bugs getting nastier!!

I am not sure about the particular bug bite, but keep some afterbite in your purse. It is mostly ammonia and if you get it on shortly after getting a bite or a sting it makes a big difference. I do know that horseflies tend to hang around pools but I've never had a reaction that bad from one.

My mom really has major reactions to bug bites and the afterbite makes a big difference to her. She has to get it on almost immediately though.

Yep. Virginia. Pool. Horsefly. Happens all the time here.

Wonderful! Thanks so much everyone. Yes, it was warm to the touch, too!

(No, not oozing or anything. I can't even see the bite mark anymore. There is no sore. I don't think it was a spider- fingers crossed!)

It's almost gone now. What a bizarre experience. I've never had a reaction like that to anything! At least I know what to expect now.

Thanks!!!