Menu

MCT Lit users (or future users)

Targhee

I am just curious: do you plan to read the literature selections aloud to your student, have them read them aloud to you, or read them independently? I couldn't see anything in the description about which is expected, but I did think the language usage in the books (at least in Alice, Peter, and Mole level for 3-4th graders) is a bit unfamiliar, yet beautiful, for most children that age.

I plan to have DS (9) read them independently. I will read them ahead.

This.

Assigned reading and lit analysis are things we haven't done before, and these lit units seem just the thing for a first dip in the pond.

Edited by nmoira
clarity

I plan to have my ds read the books aloud to me. This is how we have always done it. Books my ds reads independently we may or may not discuss; if we do it's very informal, and I don't usually read the book. Books we talk about, look at the vocabulary in, etc. he reads aloud to me.

I think we will read aloud together, at least 1 book or half of it. Then we might take turns deciding who will read next.

I have a question.

When will you start using Literature books? I was thinking, I would start after going through Grammar Island book at least. What are you suggesting?:confused:

When will you start using Literature books? I was thinking, I would start after going through Grammar Island book at least. What are you suggesting?:confused:

I'm curious about this too. We will be in Island this year, but it appears that much of the notes and such in the books refer to things that they will learn this year in Island, so I'm not exactly sure how to work it?

My 9 yo will read on his own. I will probably ask him to read aloud some of the time.

I always have him reading a book for us to discuss, so this will just be more of that. We will start Alice next week and just keep on from there. My children listened to Alice and Through the Looking Glass on audio this past year, so I think it will go quickly. Peter Pan will probably be read aloud more often, and for the parts that my 9 yo is reading on his own, I'll be reading aloud to my first grader. Same with Willows.