Menu

Who wants to tell me about HomeLife Academy?

I'm considering a switch to HomeLife Academy for this year...we've actually already started our school year but....well I just kept putting off re-registering with our old umbrella because I just wasn't happy with it.

Anyway, I'd like to here good experiences, bad experiences and if you have experience graduating a student from them I'd like to know how that went as well. Just anything you'd like to share to help me make my decision. Thanks!

This is our third year using Homelife. We switched when I realized our old umbrella charged a lot more.

I'm very pleased with it. Everything is all online -- registration and reporting. I simply have to tell them what I'm teaching and then report days and grades. Very simple. No testing is required and if I needed a transcript, they are easy to obtain.

Thanks! I've poured over their website and haven't found anything there that I didn't like. Cathie- I think I asked you about them awhile back (?) or maybe that was someone else. Anyway, I think I've made my choice...just wanted to see if any red flags turned up here before I sent them my money.

We're with HLA. The only problem I've found is that I can't do the online record keeping through Firefox-I have to go through IE or it locks up. Otherwise, though, they've been great to work with, especially compared to other umbrellas that require actually sending in physical records.

I also really appreciated that they were quick about sending for DD's records from her past school, because when I first decided to pull her at the end of K, I was getting, almost daily, questions about when we were going to register for 1st, despite my telling the school we were going to homeschool. When HLA requested her records, DD's prior school stopped complaining, because, after all, we'd officially transferred for the following year.

We're with HLA. The only problem I've found is that I can't do the online record keeping through Firefox-I have to go through IE or it locks up. Otherwise, though, they've been great to work with, especially compared to other umbrellas that require actually sending in physical records.

Hmmm. I am able to do the online record keeping with Firefox. No problems with locking up or anything.

Thanks! I've poured over their website and haven't found anything there that I didn't like. Cathie- I think I asked you about them awhile back (?) or maybe that was someone else. Anyway, I think I've made my choice...just wanted to see if any red flags turned up here before I sent them my money.

You did.... I'd forgotten I'd already told you my thoughts :)

Love them! They handled notifying our local school system that we were homeschooling and getting their records. They very much believe that you as the parent know your child better than anyone else. I'm not one to need much hand holding, but the couple times I have emailed a counselor, I've gotten a quick, helpful response. The online record keeping is a breeze. By the way, I use Firefox and have never had any trouble using the online record keeping.

I don't use them, but I did look into it. If I recall, There was a change a year or so ago where they were going to start requiring testing, at least at the high school level. Some people were unhappy about that, and were looking for another umbrella school. You may want to check into that if it matters to you.

If I recall, There was a change a year or so ago where they were going to start requiring testing, at least at the high school level.

As of looking at it yesterday they didn't require testing.

Thanks to everyone for your responses...no red flags so it's a go!

As of looking at it yesterday they didn't require testing.

Thanks to everyone for your responses...no red flags so it's a go!

It's not annual testing. They are starting to require the ACT for graduation. Some other umbrellas in TN are too. To lend validation to the diploma. I'm not sure if it's for all diplomas or the college prep ones. You can find it under their "high school" info on the website.