Menu

"Consumables"

RachelFlores

Am I the only one who finds it hard to use consumable books as consumables? I've been know to copy pages out of $.99 store workbooks because I like them and want to be able to use them with other children and who knows if I'll be able to find them at that point. I bought the WWE pdf student pages because I didn't want dd to write in the actual book. I am currently copying Primary Arts of Language: Phonetic Games because I can't stand the thought of cutting up a book even though it is MADE to cut up. The only workbooks I let my kids write in are the cheapish ones that I know I'll be able to buy in the future (HWT, ETC) and the ones I buy the kids for fun at the $1 store (Disney and stuff like that). I'm sure I spend almost as much in ink and paper, but I just can't seem to help it. Tell me Im not the only one. :D

Just a warning--this thread will probably go downhill very fast. Copyright laws and all that.

I try to be very aware of copywrite. If I am only copying for myself and I do NOT plan on reselling these books isn't it ok? I just checked and at least in the PAL book it says a teacher can make copies for students, heck it says that in the WWE book, but I prefered to buy the PDF file of the student pages. I don't THINK I'm breaking copywrite law, am I?

I'm the same way. I buy the student activity pages because I can't bear the thought of tearing pages out of WWE or SOTW.

I can handle writing in math or handwriting books, but writing in any other kind of book seems...sacrilegious. :tongue_smilie:

Now, if I could only get my 2yo dd to feel the same reverence for books. :001_huh:

It depends on the book. With some consumable books, you can't make copies at all (mostly workbooks) even within your family. With something like Spelling Workout, they would want you to buy an individual text for each family member. PDF books you can definitely copy for personal use. Sorry if I misunderstood your intention--I've seen people casually mention copying their curriculum books and start a firestorm. I have certainly appreciated being able to buy the PDF of WWE and some other books myself! Esp since I can print for free at my library. :)

Sorry if I misunderstood your intention--I've seen people casually mention copying their curriculum books and start a firestorm.

No problem, It was a good reminder. I actually hadn't checked the copywrite page on the PAL program, but since it was intended for classroom use along with homeschool use I assumed I could copy (but we all know what they say about assumptions).

I have certainly appreciated being able to buy the PDF of WWE and some other books myself! Esp since I can print for free at my library. :)

Wow, your library is AWSOME, I wish mine offered free printing. :D

I'm the same way. I buy the student activity pages because I can't bear the thought of tearing pages out of WWE or SOTW.

I can handle writing in math or handwriting books, but writing in any other kind of book seems...sacrilegious. :tongue_smilie:

Now, if I could only get my 2yo dd to feel the same reverence for books. :001_huh:

:iagree: Yes, this is exactly how I feel and I forgot to mention we write in math books too, but other books, it just seems...wrong. My kids know one way to make me mad is to treat a book badly, ds could only "read" board books (for personal reading) for a while because he experimented with tearing pages out of a few books, big no no.

I am the same way. I have had to force myself to give in on somethings though so I have pages for the evaluations!

I figured I'd share my tip though, as it seems every time I tell someone new about it they kinda look at me with this "oh, I can't believe I didn't know that" look and get all excited.

Anyway, instead of copying everything, I just have those clear plastic things... page protectors of some sort really. I slip the page into them and the kids use dry erase markers, crayons or whatever will erase (even regular sharpies come off with alcohol). Then they can do the pages over and over without the cost or waste of a paper copy. My kids love it, easier than working with a pencil, and I love it because I can reuse the books AND still sell them looking great when we are done if I want!

I find myself doing this too. It's not unusual for my DS to need the same worksheet more than once, and that only encourages my tendencies. My husband is an artist, so I do try very hard to follow copyright as we would like anyone else to respect my husband's work.

I'm trying to do better this year and do more of a cost/benefit analysis before copying. At least when I have some hope that we won't need to do the same worksheet two or three times.

It is nice to know that i am not the only one who does not like writing in workbooks but ironically i will write in my reading books because i will never give them away. I think the reason i do not writing in workbooks is because i may want them to do the page again or that i want the books in good shape so that i may sell or give it a way.

I also tend to get ebooks (like math mammoth which gives permission to print out pages) because one I am very impatience and two it saves me having to find places for books.

I am the same way. I have had to force myself to give in on somethings though so I have pages for the evaluations!

I figured I'd share my tip though, as it seems every time I tell someone new about it they kinda look at me with this "oh, I can't believe I didn't know that" look and get all excited.

Anyway, instead of copying everything, I just have those clear plastic things... page protectors of some sort really. I slip the page into them and the kids use dry erase markers, crayons or whatever will erase (even regular sharpies come off with alcohol). Then they can do the pages over and over without the cost or waste of a paper copy. My kids love it, easier than working with a pencil, and I love it because I can reuse the books AND still sell them looking great when we are done if I want!

That's exactly what I was about to suggest!!

I focus on a few things to help me get away from that tendency:

Our son actually enjoys writing in the real workbook. There is no scanning, printing, and loose pages to deal with. No pages to put into his binder - I just save the whole intact workbook. It's usually less than $15 and really easier to just buy it again for DS2. Finally, down the road I will not be trying to figure out who I should gift with a ragged, possibly out of date workbook that has been through two kids.