Menu

Schooling in the evening?!?

Does anyone school in the evening? If so, how does that work out for you?

It happened yesterday that there was no time during the day to do our lessons. So, we sat down after dinner, and it seemed to work tons better than schooling in the morning or afternoon. We were more efficient with our time, our attitudes were better ... and DH was able to care for the little one that often distracts us during the day.

The unconventional-ness of it has me a bit timid about pursuing it on a regular basis, but it did seem to work well last night ...

Thoughts?!?

We often do our reading/phonics in the evening, after dinner - DS for some reason is better able to focus on that in the evening moreso than in the morning or afternoon - go figure? It definitely helps that DH can watch the baby while I concentrate on working with DS too!

In our house, DH usually isn't home until 6:30 or 7 and then we have to eat dinner and I have to clean up. That doesn't leave much time for us to school in the evenings. So for us it wouldn't work. It does sound interesting though! With homeschooling, I'm game for anything that will work. You could give it a shot....at least a few days a week.

We do! It started when we were afterschooling. Now that we're moving towards more full-time homeschooling, it's become a tradition. It's especially convenient during the summer. We eat dinner at around 6, then do our school work from 6:30-8:30ish. We always do math first (because I'm concerned they'll get tired). If my younger is feeling squirrely, I offer her the option to go to bed instead of doing work. It's never been taken up!

In the fall, our schedule will also include 3 days/week at home for my older daughter, so we'll get some work done in the mornings too.