Menu

CC-ers, what else are you using?

amyinva

I just realized I posted this to the wrong board, oops! Here it is reposted:

This will be our second year in Classical Conversations (foundations & essentials ) and last year we learned a ton, but did not add a lot to History or Science studies. This year, I want to do more, at least for History. My kids read so much science on their own that I'm tackling history first. Science advice welcomed too, of course!

I've looked at the list of recommended books on CC connected. There are so many, and not clearly marked for age level. I've also thought about just trying to add SL Core 4 (can't remember what its called now- the 2nd US History one). I'm worried it its more than I will get done, though.

Anyone have a good plan?

I am going to do a one-year US history using some selections from SL 3+4, some from WP's American history programs, and some selections from my bookshelf. I don't know that this schedule is any lighter than a scheduled program.

We will be using America's History Land of Liberty as our spine. The black is the chapter title from America's History, the blue is a read-aloud and the green is a reader.

First semester weeks 1-18

Earliest People of the Americas North American Indians by Douglas Gorsline Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla (week 1 of 2)

Europeans Explore the Americas The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus by Betsy Maestro Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla (week 2 of 2)

Europeans Settle America Exploration and Conquest: The Americas After Columbus by Betsy Maestro The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds (week 1 of 2)

Africans in America The New Americans: Colonial Times by Betsy Maestro The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds (week 2 of 2)

The English Settle in North America Colonial Crafts by Bobbie KalmanThe Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (week 1 of 2)

Life in the 13 Colonies George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 1 of 4)The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (week 2 of 2)

The Road to Revolution George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 2 of 4)Meet Benjamin Franklin by Maggi Scarf

The American Revolution George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 3 of 4) Thomas Jefferson by Cheryl Harness

The Nation's New Constitution The US Constitution and You by Syl SobelNo reader this week. Read the raH together.

The Start of the New Nation George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 4 of 4)Phoebe the Spy by Judith Griffin

A Time of Growth and War How We Crossed The West: The Adventures Of Lewis And Clark by Rosalyn SchanzerMillie Cooper's Ride: A True Story from History by Marc Simmons

Growth and Sectionalism Amazing Impossible Erie Canal by Cheryl HarnessTrail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) by Joseph Bruchac

Working for Reform and Culture The West: An Illustrated History for Children by Dayton Duncan (selections from week 1 of 2)The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 1 of 3)

Americans Move Westward The West: An Illustrated History for Children by Dayton Duncan (week 1 of 2)The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 2 of 3)

North and South Disagree Last Safe House, The: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (week 1 of 2) The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 3 of 3)

The Beginning of the Civil War Last Safe House, The: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (week 2 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 1 of 3)

The End of the Civil War Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 2 of 3)

The Reconstruction Years Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 3 of 3)

Second Semester weeks 19-36

Growth in the American West Tracks Across America by Leonard Everett Fisher (selections from week 1 of 2) When the Circus Came to Town by Laurence Yep (week 1 of 2)

The Growth of Business and Industry Tracks Across America by Leonard Everett Fisher (week 2 of 2) When the Circus Came to Town by Laurence Yep (week 2 of 2)

Immigration and Labor Movements Change America Immigrant Kids by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) George Washington Carver by Matt Doeden

Reform and the Progressive Movement Immigrant Kids by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

The United States Becomes a World Power The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of Empire America (week 1 of 2) Wheels of Time by Catherine Gourley

The United States and Latin America The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of Empire America (week 2 of 2) The Wright Brothers by Quentin Reynolds (week 1 of 2)

The United States in World War I Hero Over Here by Kathleen V. Kudlinski The Wright Brothers by Quentin Reynolds (week 1 of 2)

America in the 1920s Children of the Depression by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) Ticket to the Twenties: A Time Traveler's Guide by Mary Blocksma

The Great Depression Children of the Depression by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression by Marissa Moss

The Beginning of World War II Ultra Hush-hush: Espionage and Special Missions by Stephen Shapiro, Tina Forrester (week 1 of 2) On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck (week 1 of 2)

The Fight to Win World War IIUltra Hush-hush: Espionage and Special Missions by Stephen Shapiro, Tina Forrester (week 2 of 2) On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck (week 2 of 2)

The Cold War Begins Spying and the Cold War by Michael Burgan In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord (week 1 of 2)

The Civil Rights Movement Freedom Riders by Ann Bausum In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord (week 2 of 2)

Americans Fight a War in Vietnam Vietnam War (DK Eyewitness Books) by Stuart Murray Leaving Vietnam by Sarah S. Kilborne

Successes and Trouble in the 1960s and 1970s Kennedy Assassinated! The World Mourns by Wilborn Hampton First Moon Landing by Thomas K. Adamson

The United States Faces World Problems Tensions in the Gulf, 1978-1991 by J. E. Peterson (week 1 of 2) The Backward Bird Dog by Bill Wallace (week 1 of 2)

The United States in Today's World Tensions in the Gulf, 1978-1991 by J. E. Peterson (week 2 of 2 )The Backward Bird Dog by Bill Wallace (week 2 of 2)

America in the New Century The History of the Internet by Josepha Sherman Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak: Geek Heroes Who Put the Personal in Computers by Mike Venezia

We will be listening to 2 books on audio each semester.

1st Semester

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham

Second Semester

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B Gilbreth Jr and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

We will also be using Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems and Great American Artists for Kids throughout the year.

HTH-

Mandy

For fall we are adding Barron's How Your Body Works pack and Dover's My First Human Body Book coloring book.

I have still not decided for sure what to add in the spring, but I own Fizz, Bubble, and Flash! and The Periodic Table Elements with Style!

HTH-

Mandy

We are doing LHFHG (Bible/ American Hx overview). We are using Little Otter's Science- free from Guest Hollow. They had version for the older kids as well. It lines up pretty well with CC. I hope to do a "Magic School Bus through the Human Body" kit (maybe for fun over Christmas break).

I also hope to pull out:

I found some easy American Presidents/States workbooks and flashcards in the dollar section of Target. We happen to already have the "Brainquest know the states" game.

I'm probably just going to look through the booklist you mentioned and check a few out each week for my dd to read on her own time. We have a couple presidents books and BF books (Pocahontas,Leif the Lucky, etc..) that I might also just set out during appropriate weeks.. Otherwise we will supplement with some of that when we get to the subject a few weeks later in HOD and hopefully DD will remember that we just talked about that subject. This is our first CC year, so I'm open to just seeing how it goes.

We did CC at home throughout my son's elementary years. At first, I thought I would just add in books that expanded on the CC memory work, but then I ran into the SL booth at a hs conference and that's where we've been ever since. I just treated the CC material as separate memory work and didn't try to integrate it with our studies and that worked fine.

Lisa

I took about a week and went through the CC history sentence list and recommended books with a fine tooth comb. I made my own list for each week of all the age appropriate books from the list that are available at our library. I also came up with a book corresponding to each science topic from our library. You can usually look up the book descriptions on Amazon and see if you think it will work, then do a quick view of the ones that are questionable at the library. My library also had a bunch of books that were not on the list but looked great to help my DD understand the weekly topics. We'll do copywork that ties into the science or history topics for that week to reinforce the learning. So- as long as I do my book requests on time I should have what I need.... It's a lot of work, but I'm going into this year with peace of mind that our time will be well spent. Last year we didn't tie it in and retaining the information was a big issue. It takes up a whole day of our week, so it can't be just an extra for us.

So, besides that, I got the Elemental History package for a spine, craft ideas, etc. We're also doing Phonics Road and Rightstart Math, and a little BFSU on the side. We've got flashcards and Scrambled States of America boardgame for learning the geography, as well as a capitals song to learn. I think that's it...