Menu

For those that use the double rolling carts for workboxes

I use these with 8 of our dc. They are holding up fine. I do keep restaurant quality trays nearby, though. I require them to put the contents onto a tray without removing the drawers. The drawers are removable, but not sturdy enough for rough removal several times a day by multiple children.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

I have the exact same one as Misty has, but mine are all opaque white, no colors. I can tell they are the same because even the metal frame is the same with the top rounded edges.

The drawers do come off the rails if you have something heavy, ie like a full ream of paper. The frame is wobbly, again if you have some drawers that are heavier. I try to keep the heavier boxes towards the bottom. But mine tends to lean one way or the other, it will temporarily stand straight up, but then leans again. I'll have to try to tighten like Misty suggested and see if that makes a difference. (bought this one from JoAnn's)

My 3 boys have a different version. Same exact concept, but bought at Office Max for the same sale price. Their drawers are blacks, grays, whites. It is different because the frame is slightly different. The frame kind of arches in on each side, so more "style", but also on the top, each post just ends with a little nub, versus curving over to the next post (look at Misty's pics and pay attention to the top part, if I am confusing you, lol). I don't have any problems with theirs at all. No leaning, no coming off rails, etc. I much prefer theirs and will probably get rid of mine in a year or two, after I feel I got the full value, lol!

As long as you keep the hardware tightened, the drawers don't fall out and the frame does not get flimsy. I just went around and tightened all mine last night. You can see my set-up in my blog (see siggy)

Did you get these at Sam's? That's the only place I have seen this style. Please let me know and thanks for sharing!

My 3 boys have a different version. Same exact concept, but bought at Office Max for the same sale price. Their drawers are blacks, grays, whites. It is different because the frame is slightly different. The frame kind of arches in on each side, so more "style", but also on the top, each post just ends with a little nub, versus curving over to the next post (look at Misty's pics and pay attention to the top part, if I am confusing you, lol). I don't have any problems with theirs at all. No leaning, no coming off rails, etc. I much prefer theirs and will probably get rid of mine in a year or two, after I feel I got the full value, lol!

If I am understanding this description, they have the same or similar ones at Joann's called a X-Frame. I looked at those & would have ordered them, except the interior measurments of the drawers indicate they cannot fit binders. If you have time, would you look at the Joann's site and let me know if 1)they are the same & 2)if they hold binders? BTW, I am referring to a standard 3-ring binder, the exterior measurements from top to bottom & side-to-side, not the thickness.

Thanks ladies!

Sure!

Here is the one I have for my stuff, except my drawers are an opaque white:

http://www.joann.com:80/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_02348258a

Like I said, it leans and can not hold heavy loads (if you consider a ream of paper a heavy load) properly.

Here is the one I have for my boys:

http://www.joann.com:80/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_10024206a

..again, except the drawers are black, gray and white.

No issues with any of them.

I am huge fan of binders. I three-hole punch everything and put it in a binder (my DH often jokes I have a binder addiction, and if you can't find something in our house, look in a binder). I just love how binders keep the bookshelves nice and tidy,and organize the loose papers.

Soooo, that being said, BOTH types can hold a binder. Now, that being said, the binder does not lay flat fully in the drawer. It sits in at a angle. Meaning, I put the large side (with the rings) in first, and that goes down to the bottom of the box, but then the slim side (where it opens) sits up at an angle, poking just above the top of the workbox. But it is not sitting up enough to prevent sliding out/in. Since this position of the binder creates space under it, that is where I put the other supplies needed. I can fit thick textbooks under and it all still slides out fine.

To compare, my three DS have used their workboxes every school day, for 2 years and theirs is holding up perfectly (well, except for one wheel where DS8 insisted on pushing it and the wheel was locked. The wheel gave way and snapped off, but it still sits in to keep the cart balanced.). Mine on the other hand, keeps my "papers", ie one for copy paper, one for scratch paper, one for important papers, one for construction paper, one for photo paper, you get the idea. I use the "important papers'" and "scratch paper" on a regular basis, probably daily, but the other 8 drawers rarely get touched. And mine is the one with the issues I spoke about earlier. So I think that speaks volumes about the quality.

I have the same ones that Samiam linked, except mine are a rainbow color. The drawers sometimes slip off the rails, and I have had to tighten the metal frame more than once. They are on rollers, but to roll it across the carpet it feels like it will bend in half.

I bought a set for each of my daughters, and my older daughter refuses to use them. She does not like them at all. My younger daughter uses hers and as long as the rack stays in one place and she is careful to put them back on the rails properly they work fine. If you put something too heavy in it they will fall off the rails. But, they do look nice :)

That said, I would not buy them again. I would get the solid plastic drawers that do not ride on rails.

Did you get these at Sam's? That's the only place I have seen this style. Please let me know and thanks for sharing!

I got the clear ones from JoAnn's and the color ones from Mardel's. Then I mixed the clear and colored drawers together to give each kid their own color workboxes.