Menu

A good quote about Lutheranism, from a blog:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2011/07/21/those-dern-lutherans-an-interview-with-paul-t-mccain/

Excerpt:

I would say this: I think Evangelicals often find themselves searching for something they feel might be a bit “missing†in their Christian walk, and think that Rome or Eastern Orthodoxy may fit the bill, while all the while Lutheranism is there, right around the corner. Often when they find a traditional Lutheran Church they are surprised to find a robust, rich worship life, rooted in the Scripture (which is what the liturgy is, in its entirety). They find a rich focus on Christ and the Gospel–Lutherans are adamant that Christ is the heart and center of everything, and they also find a tangible experience with God, not based simply on feelings or emotions, but on a concrete and objective experience with God’s grace through the sacraments. And all this is wrapped up in such a vibrant passionate love for Jesus. We Lutherans combine the best of what is Evangelical, with the best of what is truly catholic about the Church, with the rich heritage of the Lutheran Reformation. I think it is a winning combination, but of course, I’m kind of biased.

A word of caution though: Lutherans are usually the ones most shy about Lutheranism. I suspect this is why you, Kevin, rightly asked, “Hey, where are the Lutherans?†You actually made a good and valid point. We suffer often from an inferiority complex and sometimes think that only Lutherans would care about Lutheranism and sometimes some of us are tempted to ditch our heritage to try to go with the “new†and “flashy†stuff, when all the time, the sturdy trustworthy Word of God is there, and it is from that inerrant and inspired Word that we know the Holy Spirit is working powerfully in our lives, as he is in your life!"

DH has played in the orchestra for several Lutheran Christmas Eve services. DD and I have fallen in love with the richness of the worship services. Growing up in a non-denominational setting, I was amazed at how close to God I felt while there. Blew my preconceptions completely out of the water. If I could reconcile some things, I'd be Lutheran in a heartbeat.

DH has played in the orchestra for several Lutheran Christmas Eve services. DD and I have fallen in love with the richness of the worship services. Growing up in a non-denominational setting, I was amazed at how close to God I felt while there. Blew my preconceptions completely out of the water. If I could reconcile some things, I'd be Lutheran in a heartbeat.

Easter is my favorite occasion of the Church Year, but Christmas Eve is definitely my favorite church service!

not the liberal mainline form of it that we find here in the United States (primarily with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America).

LOL! This made me laugh, my DH is an ELCA pastor and yep, they are a liberal bunch for sure :) I personally hate the services, I don't like the over-emphasis on music and preaching instead of word and sacrament but DH says I'm being silly. I never feel like I went to church that Sunday when I go to just DH's church, especially his parent's church in Georgia. I've been curious how different the Missouri Synod worship style is but as I can't quite get behind the theology and we already attend 2 churches every weekend I haven't bothered to attend one of their services.

Interesting article though!

Btw, who are the WELS Lutherans, I don't know that I've heard of them? Is it the Wisconsin ones?

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2011/07/21/those-dern-lutherans-an-interview-with-paul-t-mccain/

Excerpt:

I would say this: I think Evangelicals often find themselves searching for something they feel might be a bit “missing†in their Christian walk, and think that Rome or Eastern Orthodoxy may fit the bill, while all the while Lutheranism is there, right around the corner. Often when they find a traditional Lutheran Church they are surprised to find a robust, rich worship life, rooted in the Scripture (which is what the liturgy is, in its entirety). They find a rich focus on Christ and the Gospel–Lutherans are adamant that Christ is the heart and center of everything, and they also find a tangible experience with God, not based simply on feelings or emotions, but on a concrete and objective experience with God’s grace through the sacraments. And all this is wrapped up in such a vibrant passionate love for Jesus. We Lutherans combine the best of what is Evangelical, with the best of what is truly catholic about the Church, with the rich heritage of the Lutheran Reformation. I think it is a winning combination, but of course, I’m kind of biased.

A word of caution though: Lutherans are usually the ones most shy about Lutheranism. I suspect this is why you, Kevin, rightly asked, “Hey, where are the Lutherans?†You actually made a good and valid point. We suffer often from an inferiority complex and sometimes think that only Lutherans would care about Lutheranism and sometimes some of us are tempted to ditch our heritage to try to go with the “new†and “flashy†stuff, when all the time, the sturdy trustworthy Word of God is there, and it is from that inerrant and inspired Word that we know the Holy Spirit is working powerfully in our lives, as he is in your life!"

As an Evangelical, I disagree with the premise that this is a common occurrence or feeling. I take exception to the "often," and the implication that our experience is based only on "feelings or emotions." I feel insulted, though I'm sure that was not your intent.

• 3 weeks later...
As an Evangelical, I disagree with the premise that this is a common occurrence or feeling. I take exception to the "often," and the implication that our experience is based only on "feelings or emotions." I feel insulted, though I'm sure that was not your intent.

I don't think that it means what you read in it, but I'm sorry that you felt insulted. I think it means that often WHEN an evangelical starts to look for something more historic, or connected with historical ritual, or some of the various other reasons cited by evangelicals to move into investigating the Roman Catholic or Orthodox faith, that they miss confessional Lutheranism which might be a better fit than the other two. Or not.

It is challenging to affirm one's own faith without seeming to denigrate another. I try to do so, with mixed success.