Menu

Which nut tastes the least...nutty?

I'm experimenting endlessly with various low-carb and/or gluten free flours right now...and the fact that I (and the kids) don't like the taste of almond flour is really slowing me down. I know very little about nuts (because I don't really like them!)....is there a nut out there with a milder taste that I can make or buy a flour out of? Or is almond flour the go to nut flour because IT has the mildest taste, and I'm just out of luck if I don't like it?

Honestly? With a kid who complained for a few years about not liking nuts and then turned out to be deathly allergic (it's not unusual for people to eat X for many years -- sometimes well into adulthood -- before suffering a severe allergic reaction), I tend to think that if you and your kids don't *like* nuts, there might be a reason and you might as well just not eat them. I wouldn't say that about most other foods, but nuts make me nervous in that way. (And I happen to *love* nuts and I *do* eat them.)

I know low-carb and gluten-free baking is challenging. (When ds' nut allergy was first diagnosed, he also had to avoid wheat, eggs, and most other grains!) But given that you don't *like* nuts and neither do your kids... I'd probably just stay away from them.

Maybe just avoid typical grain-products anyway most of the time? On those occasions (birthdays, etc) when you really need a baked good, go for one of the mixes that uses rice and legume flours (not low carb, but probably acceptable on a once-in-a-while basis)...

If you still want a nut possibility, try cashew or coconut flour. They still have distinctive flavors, but they aren't technically tree nuts (though there's a risk of cross contamination much of the time because of the way they're processed) and the flavors are different than almond or hazelnut (which, along with walnuts and pecans, has a very strong flavor).

macadamia nuts are extremely mild in taste and they're not really a nut, but a fruit. I'm not sure how well they'll grind to use as a 'nut flour' - almonds are the go to nut for that due to the relatively low fat content, which makes them 'powdery' when ground. But you could always try with the macadamias and see how that goes?

I've recently had to go gluten free....and I have to eat low carb as well. I think almond flour is the least nutty of the bunch, imo that you can still cook with. I would just choose to eat from the other food groups or use brown rice or garfava flour (bean based). Some people don't digest bean based flours well, though, so um, choose the day you try it wisely. ;)

What kind of almond flour are you using? My personal preference is Honeyville Grain. The texture is much better in a lot of baked goods (IME) than Bob's Red Mill. I like Bob's, but I think Honeyville is a step above. In some recipes you don't notice a difference, but in others, IME it really does make a difference.

We also bake w/ coconut flour sometimes, but it is very thirsty and you usually have to use a LOT of eggs with it.

Honestly? With a kid who complained for a few years about not liking nuts and then turned out to be deathly allergic (it's not unusual for people to eat X for many years -- sometimes well into adulthood -- before suffering a severe allergic reaction), I tend to think that if you and your kids don't *like* nuts, there might be a reason and you might as well just not eat them. I wouldn't say that about most other foods, but nuts make me nervous in that way. (And I happen to *love* nuts and I *do* eat them.)

The thing is...I'm REALLY picky. If nuts were one of the only things I didn't like, I'd think there might be a good reason for it. But, sadly, I think it's just one more example of how my palate is more limited than your typical five year old's. But maybe...it's a good excuse to give up trying anyway ;)

macadamia nuts are extremely mild in taste and they're not really a nut, but a fruit. I'm not sure how well they'll grind to use as a 'nut flour' - almonds are the go to nut for that due to the relatively low fat content, which makes them 'powdery' when ground. But you could always try with the macadamias and see how that goes?

Thanks--I'll try it!

What kind of almond flour are you using? My personal preference is Honeyville Grain. The texture is much better in a lot of baked goods (IME) than Bob's Red Mill. I like Bob's, but I think Honeyville is a step above. In some recipes you don't notice a difference, but in others, IME it really does make a difference.

It's the kind from Trader Joe's. It's not a texture thing, though--the texture is actually really good with it; I make something, and it looks all yummy, and then I take a bite and that blasted almond taste hits me.

thanks everyone! I have tried lots of the non-nut alternative flours. My current theory is that I can mask the stronger tastes of some of them by mixing different kinds together. Right now my blend of choice is coconut, sunflower, and a little oat flour, and sometimes peanut flour depending on what I'm making. I just wonder if a nut flour would add some versatility and work better, taste-wise, than the peanut flour (or too much coconut) in more savory or bready (as opposed to sweet) stuff. I've got a trial batch of cinnamon rolls with the sunflower, peanut, coconut combo going right now...we'll see what happens.