Menu

Fairy Tales/Book Title?

Back in the 90s I took a course on fairy tales. The text used was excellent, a trove of unabridged stories (Pinocchio in serial; “Bluebeardâ€; Beauty and the Beast; a number of CS Lewis tales; the original Little Mermaid, The Snow Queen, and other Anderson tales; different versions of “Cinderella†and “Sleeping Beautyâ€; and much more). I can’t remember the title or the editor(s) but can remember how the book looked. It was a thick paperback of a dull, gold color with Cranach’s Portrait of a Princess of Saxony on the cover. I don't remember any pictures w/in the book. I have done a number of searches and have come up empty. I would love to know the title so I can obtain another copy. Does anyone know of this book?

Just a stab in the dark, would it be the Yellow Fairy Book by Andrew Lang? He does a bunch of the original Fairy Tales and uses very few pictures. I only own the Blue One so I am not sure what is in the Yellow One without spending some time.

Thanks for the try. That isn't it. The one of which I am thinking is a mammoth text, not at all kid-friendly.

Perhaps a book by Jack Zipes?

Maybe The Great Fairy Tale Tradition (with an older cover :D)

Norton books are often used in classes and it has over 1000 pages.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a Zipes. Norton is a good guess, but I haven't found it. This one looks pretty good http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Fairy-Norton-Critical-Editions/dp/0393972771

but still not it.

Thanks for the help!

Donna

I have this one and was looking in the bibliography but it is long - if you look through it on Amazon, from the back page, you can see the bibliography and maybe the name will be on the list? In addition to the bibliography, it has about three pages of anthologies listed.

Good thinking. I didn't see it there, but I'll try another book's biblio....

I ran across this and thought someone might be interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Loved-Folktales-Anchor-folktale-library/dp/0385189494/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311286894&sr=1-1#_

It is on my order list.