Menu

Home laminators and label printers: Worth the $?

I have this $ to spend at Target.com. Do any of you have an at home laminating machine that you love? Is it worth the cost of the machine and then the refills? I can get an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet laminated at Staples for a little of $1 (like $1.50). Would it be worth it to have my own? It's sort of like those photo printers...I can print photos cheaper at Target (after taking into consideration the ink and paper, etc.). Would this be the case w/ a laminator? If you have one, which do you own? Do you love it? Why?

How about label printers? Worth it? Do you use them a lot? I just make my own by hand, but it might be nice to have the nifty little "toy" to play with, KWIM? If you have one, which do you have? What brand? Do you love it? Why?

TIA

I don't know about the label printer, but I use our home laminator a lot; I haven't tried to figure out the cost efficiency -- we do have places here where you can get stuff laminated, but to me the convenience of not having to drive over there, having everything perfectly ready and prepared, is worth it. I generally buy a 100-pack of the plastic sleeves, and I know that it isn't $100, lol, so I'm sure it's cheaper than taking the stuff somewhere to get it done.

I think it would depend on how much you really laminate -- I do lots of cards, mini-books, games, just a lot of things, lol. Maybe I've come up with more things now that I have the machine...:confused:

LOVE the label maker I have used - the Brother P-touch 1950 - but here's the caveat: I borrowed it from dh's office, and all I paid for was the tape that I used. I looked into buying one, but the price was a bit daunting. However, I LOVE having everything neatly labeled, and I am considering purchasing a smaller, handheld label maker.

Shelly

I answered you on email, but for anyone else: We have a Xyron 900 and I love it! I used it to make all my Accountable Kids cards, laminate homemade flashcards, etc. My boys are tough on paper--by which I mean they seem to destroy any sheets that enter their hands if said sheets are not protected somehow. It is an expensive machine ($120), but those 40 or 50% off coupons at JoAnn come out weekly, so you can pick one up for around $60. I use the coupons for refills as well.

I also have a Brother P-touch lable maker, and I used that even more. Craft drawers, office supplies, toy bins, shelves in my pantry, some bookshelves... are labelled. Otherwise my house would be even more messy and disorganized! They often have these at Costco, and that is definately the place to buy cheap cartridge refills.