Menu

Clothing question 1 - ironing

Do you iron?  

1. 1. Do you iron?

• No, strictly wash and wear. We don't even own an iron
    • I'll iron once or twice a year for an important event
    • I iron once or twice a season.
    • I'll iron if something needs it, but not really more than once a month or so
    • Someone in my household needs uniforms ironed so I do it weekly
    • I prefer my clothes to be ironed and do it weekly
    • A combination of option 5 and 6
    • I iron everything we wear prior to us wearing it - daily
    • I iron my clothes daily
    • Ironing - the best chore ever. I iron every single thing I can even the sheets

I don't starch most things. Sometimes a blouse that is particularly reluctant to give up wrinkles, or has weird body. But those items aren't normal wear. If it makes you feel better, I've had the same bottle of starch since my husband was in grad school... 2007? '08? And it's a quart bottle, so...

And it's less work than trying to pick the starch blech off your shirt. ;)

psssst, I also use bluing. In the laundry, even, not just to make awesome crystals grow on charcoal.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I love ironing. Really. It's therapeutic to me. I would iron more if I could, but right now it's just not on the list of weekly chores. Though when I break out the china, even the napkins get ironed.:001_smile:

I do wear linen in the summer so that gets ironed, and Dh's summer shirts, too. So yeah, weekly, but a few items. And I use Niagra natural starch.

Just the other day I was thinking of how my mother ironed sheets and PJs and put jeans into the these expandable metal frames. This was the 60s, and I remember "wash and wear" hitting our life in about 1968. I think that is when we lost the ringer washer, and got a drier, too.

I don't starch most things. Sometimes a blouse that is particularly reluctant to give up wrinkles, or has weird body. But those items aren't normal wear. If it makes you feel better, I've had the same bottle of starch since my husband was in grad school... 2007? '08? And it's a quart bottle, so...

And it's less work than trying to pick the starch blech off your shirt. ;)

psssst, I also use bluing. In the laundry, even, not just to make awesome crystals grow on charcoal.

I go through spray starch (well really sizing since it is lighter) like most people go through water.

What does bluing do? I've only heard it being used on little old ladies' hair.

Just the other day I was thinking of how my mother ironed sheets and PJs and put jeans into the these expandable metal frames. This was the 60s, and I remember "wash and wear" hitting our life in about 1968. I think that is when we lost the ringer washer, and got a drier, too.

I always thought my grandmother was the last person to get rid of the wringer washer. I remember visiting and I was 5, maybe 6 (that would have been 1971-72) and she still used it.

I always thought my grandmother was the last person to get rid of the wringer washer. I remember visiting and I was 5, maybe 6 (that would have been 1971-72) and she still used it.

I have a friend with collection in her basement. One is for clothes, and the rest are for the various stages of washing the carpola out of the wool she shears off her sheep. :D