Menu

Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers - an admittedly petty observation

I have enjoyed several Francine Rivers books and wanted to read more (a highly unlikely genre for me to enjoy!). Many have notably recommended the Mark of the Lion Series (I believe many from here, even) which my local Half Price Books happened to have in brand new condition last week.

So far, the story has kept my attention, if not for the darkness of the historical subject manner and the peppering of Latin words and phrases, then the well-developed (if not overly so) characters and the mission of this series.

However, I just have to say, because it's so incredibly irritating and I have to get it out somewhere, that if the 2nd and/or 3rd book in the series mentions the word "sardonically" or a phrase about tipping a mouth or chin or any kind of facial "tipping" - I am going to have to forgo reading the rest of the series. I would add in the word "ruefully" to my list as well, but I'm afraid that would be much too picky of me (not to mention impossible). :banghead:

That is all. :D

I worked in publishing for seven years.

Every author has their favorite phrases. A good editor will even compile a list of words/phrases to watch for and make sure that the proofreader and copy editor watch for those words/phrases as well. It just goes with the territory.

Interesting. Because I was wondering the other day how the overuse of these words made it past the editor! It would make more sense (to me) if the editor allowed a certain number of times the words were used, or limited the overuse to only one book (not all 3 in the series for example). But again, that's just me. :D

• 12 years later...

Ok. I read the book a while back and now with 3 young kids i just don’t have the time so i am listening to it on audible and i don’t remember her using sardonically so much. It’s driving me crazy to the point i might have to stop listening to it. It was mentioned 3 times in a two minute part and that’s after it has already been used at least 30+ times before that. I thought i can’t be the only one that this drives them crazy and came across this post from a while ago. It’s just nice to know i am not alone. I haven’t decided if i will keep listening to it. Only time will tell. And if that time does come and i can’t take it anymore. I will tilt my head down, with a sardonic smile, and turn the book off.