Menu

3rd grade math for a math hater -- RS or MUS or ???

monalisa

I have a dd8 who STRONGLY dislikes math, though she quickly understands it, can do it, but doesn't have her facts down cold (+/- or x). She used BJU in private K, and I used it for 1st and 2nd HS. She scored well on the Stanford 10 (not that I care that much, just making the point that she does understand) though her scores decreased between 1st and 2nd; testing is required here.

Math has been torturous for both of us for a good part of the past 2 years of HS. I was going to switch her to CLE because it is so much stronger in drill than BJU and is less teacher prep/parts to fiddle with, and I thought the spiral might be less boring for her. But now that I have it, I am not so sure; it seems like ALOT more workbook pages/problems than BJU, and I'm not sure I love how much less conceptual it is than BJU. So now I am not sure WHAT I should use for 3rd; maybe use the CLE flashcard/drill with BJU 3 or try something else. I am driving myself CRAZY reading reviews, looking at samples, etc. I really want to get her to not hate math. She definitely prefers language subjects more than numbers, and really dislikes a lot of writing.

I am tempted to switch to something radically different like RS (which she'd be in level C based on the placement test since she doesn't know all the mult. facts) or MUS (she'd have to start in Beta but I think could move quickly to Gamma). My concern w/ RS is that Level 2 is 2nd grade, and she's covered a lot of the concepts though not in the RS way, so in a way I'd be putting her behind. My concern w/ MUS is getting off the traditional scope and sequence so dramatically which could be a problem if she has to go back to school (not out of the realm of possibility). But the video clips I've watched even have shown me things I didn't totally get (at the higher levels) where i just learned the procedure. But maybe either one of these concerns would be worth it if I could help her enjoy and thrive a little in math. I hate to resign myself to her being a non-math kid at age 8!

I own Math Mammoth 2 and 3, but every time I look at it I can barely stand to read through it for some reason (did try it with DD for a couple weeks; seemed like so much ink on a page and it wasn't any better received than BJU) and maybe that is because I am highly visual and it is highly unattractive to me. I've looked at Singapore and don't think it is for us (too many books to fiddle with, too much conceptual jumping). So these 2 aren't on my radar screen. I don't have a problem with math at all -- I did well through Diff EQ for my engineering degree. It comes easy to me, I am not afraid of it; but teaching it is probably not my strong suit partly because it is easy for me.

Has anyone jumped into RS or MUS at 3rd grade and transformed their math hater? Or is there something else I'm not considering that I should? I really need things laid out for me -- I love scripted/planned programs and don't do well with things I need to plan out myself (it just doesn't happen as much as I wish I could change). FLL, WWE, AAS, OPGTR -- these have all worked for me fyi. Looking for any and all suggestions (except those involving SM or MM :)).

TIA!

My kids were all behind in math....one of them loathed math..the other two were okay with it but were still behind. Out of desperation we went from Saxon to MUS to Math-It. Now they are all on grade level and I often hear my one child saying that math isn't as bad as she thought it was. I think that Math It saved us. With Math It they learned skills to quickly memorize the math facts and then the rest of the concepts in math were easy (fractions/measuring/etc). I'm sold on it! Two of the kids jumped a grade to put them up into their own, correct, grade level.... the other one just needs to work on his mult/div. facts.

It took the kids a couple of weeks to get really good with their math facts/ math it and then I put them back into Saxon at a grade level higher...it worked!

My ds8 sounds a lot like your dd. We will be taking the plunge in just a few weeks and make the switch to MUS for 3rd grade. I am starting him in Beta, which should go quickly, and then I have Gamma. At this grade level I am not worrying about scope and sequence, even if I did have to send him back to school. I think those gaps could be filled in. I am focusing on getting rid of the tears and torture at math time. I really want him to stop being anxious about math. From what I have seen, and the practice lessons we have done at home, I have really high hopes for MUS. We have watched some of the dvd lessons together and then completed the assignment...and no tears, no grumbling...hopefully this will continue. I know the dvd is for the parent/teacher but he really wanted to watch...so why not?

I also asked him what things he wanted to learn this year for math (since MUS is so singularly focused) and he suggested we continue with fractions, measuring and geometry. It should be easy enough to find supplemental reasources for these online.

There are so many choices it can make you crazy. I just finally had to go for it and not look back or I should say, not look at any more reviews:)

HTH

Since you already have CLE , why don't you try it and see how it goes? It does have more workbook pages , but don't forget that the teaching is in there too , as well as some drill and mental math. I don't think CLE has more work than BJU . You can do the reading for your dd in the workbook and the mental math orally. You can also cross some repetitive work that has already been mastered.

It is sad that your dc hates math . This is a sign that she struggles . CLE might give her the confidence and love for math , as it did with my sons.They love math . We also use Singapore for a different approach and more challenging word problems.

Since you already have CLE , why don't you try it and see how it goes? It does have more workbook pages , but don't forget that the teaching is in there too , as well as some drill and mental math. I don't think CLE has more work than BJU . You can do the reading for your dd in the workbook and the mental math orally. You can also cross some repetitive work that has already been mastered.

It is sad that your dc hates math . This is a sign that she struggles . CLE might give her the confidence and love for math , as it did with my sons.They love math . We also use Singapore for a different approach and more challenging word problems.

I agree! Give it a try and see how it goes. My dd struggled so much and really was struggling in math until we used CLE. It doesn't take her long at all and she has learned so much since she started a few months ago...she now loves math..

What about Teaching Textbooks? Didn't they put out a third grade curriculum? TT made my non-mathy daughter who didn't really like math LIKE MATH! :) (We started in fifth grade). She gets it now, has fun with it, and it frees me up some, too. You should check it out. It's a lifesaver at our house!

We made the switch to MUS this year and it was fantastic...math no longer involved crying and fighting. We loved RS too, and I wouldn't hesitate to use C for 3rd grade since the way RS teaches really solidifies stuff. That said, MUS helps take me out of the equation, so we aren't fighting about this one subject anymore. I'm still there, helping, of course, but something about that distance has helped. We switched to Gamma 3/4 of the way through 3rd grade, and since he had some multiplication, he got through lesson 24. I'm hoping to get through the rest this summer (doing it sporadically) and then move into Delta in the fall. Your daughter could definitely whiz through Beta and at least start Gamma. MUS is really easy to move through faster or slower the way the workbook is set up. We really like it.

Hello, former math teacher here! (Well, still a math teacher, I suppose). I noticed that you mentioned several times that your daughter doesn't know her math facts; also, you don't seem to have any doubts about her ability. There are many young kids in this situation (and my daughter, 7, is one of them), where they have a strong conceptual grasp of the operations, etc. but the actual mental work it takes to complete a problem leaves them tired and frustrated, and can turn into math-hate. Whatever curriculum you choose, please do not drop a grade level because of math facts. In my opinion, take some time to push the math facts in a fun, low-stress way. There are so many different computer programs, games, flash cards, etc. for basic facts that I'm sure you can find one or many that will engage your daughter. In the meantime, try scaffolding her during her regular math work with multiplication charts or adding facts charts. I promise you she will not start college algebra still needing her multiplication charts!! This way, she can experience success (which is so important when motivation is faltering!!), move forward in her learning, and improve her attitude about the subject as a whole.

Hope this helps!

Jessica