Menu

Craft/hands on American history?

Faithr

Okay, so I said to my 9 yo (who HATES history because I tried to read This Country of Ours aloud to him in first grade and I scarred him for life! He thinks it is the MOST BORING subject ever.) if I were to be a mean mommy and FORCE you to learn history would you like it if it had a lot of neat things to do? He said, like what? I said, like making moccasins when we study American Indians or learn Indian sign language. He said, 'cool!'

So now I need to find an American history program that has lots (and lots) of hands on things to do. Just coloring or doing little cut outs is not enough. I'm not talking lapbooks. Has to be geniunely cool stuff or he won't buy into it! The other problem is I am craft impaired so I need something that comes in a complete kit with REALLY EASY instructions.

God must have laughed when he gave me a child with a completely different learning style from my own. It is like trying to teach an alien.

So is there such a kit? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

We just started Winterpromise's American Story and my history-phobic almost 7 year old is pretty into it so far (I scarred him with SOTW; he's very easily scarred). So far the crafts are mostly papercrafts (3-D maps with parts that move; tomorrow we're making paper tipis), but I think it will branch out at least to some extent pretty soon. There's also an optional extra crafts kit you can buy to go with it that looks more hard core (and comes with everything in the kit).

Not a program but check out activity books by Donald Silver and Michael Gravois, there's also Super Social Studies by Elizabeth Van Tinee, Super Pop-Up Reports For American History by Susan K. Gaylord

We love the Donald Silver activity books, my favorite b/c it covers a large stretch of history is Interactive 3-D Maps for American History and includes Vikings through Road to Civil Rights and From Earth to the Moon.

We use Tapestry of Grace and I like these types of crafts better than project books such as More Than Moccasins by Laurie Carlson b/c it provides the high impact just the same without a bunch of gathering supplies and the paper crafts get done. :)

Okay, so I said to my 9 yo (who HATES history because I tried to read This Country of Ours aloud to him in first grade and I scarred him for life! He thinks it is the MOST BORING subject ever.) if I were to be a mean mommy and FORCE you to learn history would you like it if it had a lot of neat things to do? He said, like what? I said, like making moccasins when we study American Indians or learn Indian sign language. He said, 'cool!'

So now I need to find an American history program that has lots (and lots) of hands on things to do. Just coloring or doing little cut outs is not enough. I'm not talking lapbooks. Has to be geniunely cool stuff or he won't buy into it! The other problem is I am craft impaired so I need something that comes in a complete kit with REALLY EASY instructions.

God must have laughed when he gave me a child with a completely different learning style from my own. It is like trying to teach an alien.

So is there such a kit? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

I don't know of any, right off. In fact, this is causing me problems as well, as I have two (actually 3) very hands on kids. Yet, I'm a bit more fortunate than you (at this time) as I'm not considering *really doing* history for another year or so for my younger two. . .which is why I'm trying to develop my own.

I did look at MFW, and it was too "light" in my opinion (stressing "my opinion" here). I looked at WP and it focuses too much on one thing (like Native Americans the 1st year) without giving enough to others. . .(again, stressing these are my thoughts, not "dissing" anyone else's choices, that are "perfect" for your family.)

I will look at Hands and Hearts. . . at their site right now (just by coincidence) and they appear to have 2 hands on kits for Am Hist. . . actually, they look quite good. . .(nuts, if only they had more. . .)

I love Amy Pak's Time Travelers; and my kids love looking at them (but not necessarily doing them. . .). OH, but she also have activities listed in these cds; however, it's instructions only. If you truly want to go the kit route, I'd go with Hands and Hearts (having NEVER used them myself. . .take that with a grain of salt, I've heard good things though.)

Oh, and just because your child didn't like a "text" or a "spine", don't think he won't truly enjoy other books related (historical fiction, biographies, etc.). My boys aren't necessarily keen on our spines, but love the books that I schedule to go along with.

One other thought, if you go into a craft store (like Michael's) they have kits (especially things like for N.A. like moccasins, and jewelry). I have one son that loves that section. . .

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I went through all my American History books (I have scads) and while I'm a little thin on some areas, I think I'm just going to figure out which ones to read aloud for history, which to read for lit/historical fiction and which my kids will read themselves. I'll just put them in chronological order. Then I think I just need the hands on stuff to go with it. The Hands and Hearts stuff looked ideal. I also found this very cool resource: http://www.corpsrediscovery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT My son isn't into making little flip books or anything like that. But he is impressed by things like making a fire from flint or making his own moccasins or making his own arrow.

I also have the Reader's Guide to American History from Memoria Press and that makes a really good guideline.

Anyway, thank you so much!

I second this - very easy projects, everything there for you - in fact with a 9 year old you could probably hand him the kit booklet and let him do many of the projects on his own. The other place I love is Corps of Rediscovery. Most of their kits are nicely priced ($5 for a leather tomahawk etc) and VERY boy oriented. My son loves their stuff.

Guest Kraftylady

Have you seen the Native American craft Pack at www.kidscraftfun.com? It has 2 crafts from each of 4 main geographical regions of tribes (Eastern woodland, Plains, Southwest, Pacific Northwest). Also look for a Colonial America Pack coming soon!