Menu

Outlining- can someone give me an explanation of how to start this?

Michelle T

DS is almost 12. I would like to teach him to do simple outlining. However, I myself have no idea of how to do it, and no idea of how to teach it. I was never taught to outline in school, not even in college.

So, how do I go about teaching outlining? I'm looking for a VERY simple process, as DS has fairly severe LD's, and doesn't "get" academics that are too complicated or abstract.

Michelle T

have you read the history section of the logic stage? That is where you find the "how to go about teaching outlining" stuff.

The first step is to find the main idea of each paragraph, and re-phrase it in your own words. Write one sentence per paragraph, and DO NOT fill that sentence full of all the information that is in the paragraph (my down-fall!). It should not include the details that support that main thought - just the main thought.

After that is easy, you start listing the details that support the main thought of each sentence underneath it. You will probably need to help your student by reading each sentence and asking, "Does this tell me about the main thought?" Sometimes it won't - it will tell about one of the subpoints, so you have to leave it out.

The next step is to start listing the details that support the subpoint underneath the subpoints. That is a 3-level outline, and as far as logic stage goes.

There is obviously alot more detail in WTM, but that's the gist of it.

hth,

Rhonda

I'm going to be using Remedia's Outlining book to help teach outlining to my son. You can go to Rainbow Resource and check it out. There are 3 books-1 for younger kids and one for a little bit older kids. I think if you have trouble teaching it yourself, this might be great for both of you to go through.

They teach it in a very simple way in the 5th grade book.

Also, I have found that it is easy to outline the old Kingfisher world history book, if you happen to have that one. Assign one 'spread', which usually is comprised of only 3 or 4 paragraphs, and then have him write one sentence per paragraph. If you have already been doing summaries with him, this is almost like a one sentence summary of the most important info. Once he is solid with that ask for two supporting details per paragraph.

SOTW is much harder to outline. KFIHW really lends itself ideally to it.

I'm going to be using Remedia's Outlining book to help teach outlining to my son. You can go to Rainbow Resource and check it out. There are 3 books-1 for younger kids and one for a little bit older kids. I think if you have trouble teaching it yourself, this might be great for both of you to go through.

I'm using Renmedia's book with my dd, it's very easy to teach. I recommend it as well.

Hi Michele!

Here are some very hands-on/visual ways of *showing* how to outline, on the Donna Young website:

http://www.donnayoung.org/english/comp/outlines.htm

Here's are two examples/explanations of using Legos to teach outlining:

http://esl.about.com/cs/teachingresources/a/bl_clogs.htm

http://cultivateideas.blogspot.com/2007/09/building-blocks-of-writing.html

Here is a reference site on outlining:

http://languagearts.pppst.com/outlines.html

BEST of luck! Lori D.

They teach it in a very simple way in the 5th grade book.

Also, I have found that it is easy to outline the old Kingfisher world history book, if you happen to have that one. Assign one 'spread', which usually is comprised of only 3 or 4 paragraphs, and then have him write one sentence per paragraph. If you have already been doing summaries with him, this is almost like a one sentence summary of the most important info. Once he is solid with that ask for two supporting details per paragraph.

SOTW is much harder to outline. KFIHW really lends itself ideally to it.

:iagree:

The KHE is much harder