Menu

Ancient Greek?

kristinannie

We're just starting Song School Greek -- beginning with just learning the alphabet and associated phonemes -- which my own DS5 likes; however, the song school Greek Alphabet Code Cracker book is over the head of most K/1st, it seems to me, unless they are quite familiar with the mystery genre. I'm considering the Bluedorn book(s) Alphabetarion/ Hupogrammon but haven't yet searched these forums for feedback on them ;).

I imagine you might use different resources depending on whether you know Greek yourself? -- I don't, so we're starting from scratch all around.

We're just starting Song School Greek -- beginning with just learning the alphabet and associated phonemes -- which my own DS5 likes; however, the song school Greek Alphabet Code Cracker book is over the head of most K/1st, it seems to me, unless they are quite familiar with the mystery genre. I'm considering the Bluedorn book(s) Alphabetarion/ Hupogrammon but haven't yet searched these forums for feedback on them ;).

I imagine you might use different resources depending on whether you know Greek yourself? -- I don't, so we're starting from scratch all around.

Same here! I definitely don't have a clue although I was in a sorority and learned the Greek alphabet! ;) There are so many resources for Latin, but not a lot for Greek. Do you think they will do a Greek for Children like the LFC to follow Song School?

I can't decide which language to tackle first: Greek or Latin, but I would at least like my kids to have a basic knowledge of each and then they can decide whether or not they want to continue in the upper grades.

Start with Latin, unless you have strong religious reasons for pursuing Greek. Latin is much easier because of the supports available and the alphabet. It's not so much learning the Greek alphabet, but the challenges it presents with computers.

My son and I preferred Greek to Latin, but we had to work so much harder at it. It ended out even at the end, for us, but if we hadn't strongly preferred it, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Buy a few titles of the little green and red Loeb Classics. My son LOVED those books and they gave him a reason to work hard at his studies. He wanted so badly to be able to read more and more of the pages in the original languages.

Climbing Parnassus aided me in selecting the Loeb Classics to start with. Don't start the book at the beginning, but skip ahead to the middle section.

Edited by Hunter