Menu

Finishing up the Intro in SOTW, let me say WOW!

We are just finishing up the Introduction Chapter of SOTW Ancients and the last two weeks has been packed but fun. We are doing school 3 days a week (till August) but dd said she would do school everyday if we could do SOTW first.

Books we added to this unit:

Archaeologists Dig for Clues

I's Disgusting and We Ate It

Mary Leaky

Painters of the Cave

Me and My Family Tree

Things we did for this unit:

Make a personal time line

Trash can dig of a teen boy and a notebook page

Ice Archaeology (find the cave man) and a notebook page

Cave Painting

Write about last years archaeology dig for a notebook page

Make a notebook page on SOTW readings

Make notebook page on Me and My Family Tree

Make a family tree

I have a feeling some of the chapters will take us several weeks to get through, but that's fine with us. Dd is having a blast and I am too. Now to start planning Chapter 1, any ideas?

post-22412-13535085184973_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085185301_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085185532_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085185884_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085186346_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085184973_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085185301_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085185532_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085185884_thumb.jpg

post-22412-13535085186346_thumb.jpg

That looks like great fun! I don't have any advice yet, as we've not started SOTW yet, but in about 2 weeks we will.

The girls loved looking at your pictures. We wanted to try all of that, but I didn't see the activity with items in an ice chunk. They want to do that now. :001_smile:

That looks like great fun! I don't have any advice yet, as we've not started SOTW yet, but in about 2 weeks we will.

The girls loved looking at your pictures. We wanted to try all of that, but I didn't see the activity with items in an ice chunk. They want to do that now. :001_smile:

The ice dig came from an idea I saw in one of the many library books I looked at on archeology. The project was to see what is preserved in ice. After freezing different items:food, cloth, seeds, rock, plants, and other things see what survives after it thaws. The story associated with this idea was on a cave man they found in ice and how they had to go about saving the items as it thawed.

What I did was freeze water in a big soup pot an inch at a time and add in things I thought would be fun to find. Plastic sea animals, a feather, uncooked macaroni, a plant, wood, rocks, a dead bug, paper. As she dug we saw what handled the freeze and thaw process and what did not. She was also looking for the cave man. During the chipping away we noticed some items left a mold in the ice. Along the way we discussed how animals could get buried in ice. It was a perfect activity for a summers day.

I love the dig site and ice dig! You guys are doing a great job with the activities and projects!

My daughter is 10 and we've been doing SOTW over the summer when we're not busy with our main curriculum. Of course, our summers are pretty busy with other things, too, but we average like 5 chapters per summer.

This is our third summer doing it, and we just finished Chapter 15. My daughter recently made a diorama of the Red Sea, made "pretend colored glass" by putting crayon shavings and colored threads over a picture she colored (one of the SOTW coloring pages), and made Phoenician (pita) bread.

She loves doing SOTW and doesn't even mind that she's doing school stuff over the summer when we do SOTW. And I enjoy doing this stuff with her. It's fun. :)

I love the dig site and ice dig! You guys are doing a great job with the activities and projects!

My daughter is 10 and we've been doing SOTW over the summer when we're not busy with our main curriculum. Of course, our summers are pretty busy with other things, too, but we average like 5 chapters per summer.

This is our third summer doing it, and we just finished Chapter 15. My daughter recently made a diorama of the Red Sea, made "pretend colored glass" by putting crayon shavings and colored threads over a picture she colored (one of the SOTW coloring pages), and made Phoenician (pita) bread.

She loves doing SOTW and doesn't even mind that she's doing school stuff over the summer when we do SOTW. And I enjoy doing this stuff with her. It's fun. :)

Thanks for sharing your pictures, the diorama came out great.

There are so many things to do with this curriculum. I have to stop myself and rethink it...is this project for my dd or me. I must practice restraint...or at least try.

My boys were not the activity type. It was give me the lesson and don't try to make it fun, this is school work no matter how you present it. Lets just get it over with. I have been deprived for so long I cannot help myself but overdo.

Thanks for sharing these. The girls would really like the crayon shavings over the picture. It's a nice way to stray from the norm.

The ice dig came from an idea I saw in one of the many library books I looked at on archeology. The project was to see what is preserved in ice. After freezing different items:food, cloth, seeds, rock, plants, and other things see what survives after it thaws. The story associated with this idea was on a cave man they found in ice and how they had to go about saving the items as it thawed.

What I did was freeze water in a big soup pot an inch at a time and add in things I thought would be fun to find. Plastic sea animals, a feather, uncooked macaroni, a plant, wood, rocks, a dead bug, paper. As she dug we saw what handled the freeze and thaw process and what did not. She was also looking for the cave man. During the chipping away we noticed some items left a mold in the ice. Along the way we discussed how animals could get buried in ice. It was a perfect activity for a summers day.

Perfect! I was just going to put a bunch of stuff in water, but it would all sink to the bottom! Great tip. I plan on reading a book on the ice man.

Thanks for sharing these. The girls would really like the crayon shavings over the picture. It's a nice way to stray from the norm.

Not sure if I mentioned or if it's already obvious lol...but that involved putting the crayon shavings and bits of colored thread on the picture, putting the picture between two sheets of wax paper, putting a couple of layers of newspaper over the whole thing and ironing for a minute or two on a low setting to melt the wax, and then trimming the wax paper to the shape/size desired.

Guest momk2000
Love all the pics! I have a bunch of pics of some of our SOTW1 activities up too on my SOTW review page if you want to see more:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124469.html

Nance,

Excellent review. I agree, SOTW is absolutely appropriate for middle grades. I will be starting SOTW 1 with my 5th grader next month. I have been looking up much of the supplemental reading on Amazon and many of the books are actually intended for grades 3-6 or grade 5 and up. My library list keeps growing! Love your photos, the hands on projects look great! :)

Not sure if I mentioned or if it's already obvious lol...but that involved putting the crayon shavings and bits of colored thread on the picture, putting the picture between two sheets of wax paper, putting a couple of layers of newspaper over the whole thing and ironing for a minute or two on a low setting to melt the wax, and then trimming the wax paper to the shape/size desired.

:lol: Okay, I was just going to have them drizzle white glue and then put the crayon shavings on. One time a long time ago I did a sort of stained glass window craft that did it the way you did, but I didn't even think of it this time. :001_huh:

:lol: Okay, I was just going to have them drizzle white glue and then put the crayon shavings on. One time a long time ago I did a sort of stained glass window craft that did it the way you did, but I didn't even think of it this time. :001_huh:

LOL well if you like the way it looks unmelted (it does sort of look prettier that way I think!) you could give that a try! Then you could even add some glitter here and there, too. (I confess, I love glitter lol).

We just started SOTW this week as the kids are eager to start school. We just started to work on the Family History Tree "interview" sheets. My dd6 wasn't interested in all the writing so I am going to have her draw the family tree like I saw a pic of in this post. Great reminder thank you!

I'm looking forwarding to the projects. I scaled down on activities this year to our realistic amount we'll be able to get to with everything else we're doing. I'm looking forward to building our dig site for next week! I purchased skeletal dinosaurs at the Dollar Tree and have to think of other things to put in there...but now I saw the Ice one and want to do a small version of that too!