Menu

Doggie questions ...

So Bear, our18 mo foster labradoodle, is doing great. He walks great on leash, has been going potty outside and has been pretty mellow around the house that he is off leash and has not gotten into trouble except trying to get on the couch to see out the front window. I did work on training him to find an alternate way to see what he wanted to see without getting on the furniture.

So, it is getting close to bedtime and I really need for him to sleep in the crate. He has been in there several times today. I treat him for going in, I treat him for staying in and spent some time petting him while he was in the crate and he seemed to fall asleep. However, just like my toddlers were, the second I got up, so did he. He seems to want to know what I am doing at all times. So, other than putting a sleeping bag next to the crate and camping out there, how can I help him enjoy it?

On the advice of the shelter, I do have a Kong filled with a mixture of wet and dry food in the freezer. I was planning on giving that to him at bedtime. He is currently sacked out on the living room floor because that is where we are.

Any other advice for surviving our first night with a dog?

Where is the crate?

Our dogs all wanted to be by someone at night. With our shelter dog, the crate was in ds's room; the dog knew he was there, the radio was low, he slept. When ds was gone for a week, we brought the crate into our room and he slept (but he wouldn't sleep in ds's room if no one was there). Now he just sleeps on dd's bed :D.

I doubt that is the "right" thing to do (because our non-shelter dog sleeps glued to me and I'm okay with it :D), but it worked for us. With your dog being older, I have to wonder what his previous sleeping accommodations were, what he's used to.

we have a labradoodle, love her! When we did the crate, we had her first with the kids in their room, we actually let them all sleep on the floor together with the crate open and right there, but didn't make her sleep in it right away- she was a puppy and upset at leaving her littermates.

later, we moved her into the master bedroom and had her sleep in the crate. The first few nights I had to comfort her and sit next to hit with my hand inside for a few minutes till she got comfy and sleepy. Then she was sleeping in it fine. At one point, though, when she was maybe 6 months old, she decided she was done and had a fit. There were a few other things going on and we had a house full of company...so we ended up letting her out. That was the end and she now sleeps on a bean bag in our room. She also gained access to the rest of the house when we are out at about the same time...the poodle part makes them very, very smart. Unnervingly so sometimes...:001_smile:

my point was...they are pack animals and will want to sleep in the same room with someone, at least. Put the crate in someone's room.

Edited by Hen Jen
main point

Oh, it brings back the memories. We've adopted 2 labs over the years...both 7 1/2 weeks old. Each time we put newspaper down in our bath off of our bedroom. The door was kept open and we bought a baby gate to prop up against the door.

Your dog is older, but still making the transition from puppy to adult soon. However, he's in a new and strange place, so s/he needs alot of affirmation that all is well.

Right now, the crate is in the kitchen. I am reluctant to bring the crate into the bedrooms. I really don't want him up there. Since he arrived on a transport from Oklahoma last night, we know very little about his past other than he came from a breeder who closed his business. I don't know how long he was in a shelter situation. He clearly has been well socialized. We took him on one last walk for the evening. He encountered another dog who goes going ape and he stayed fairly calm. Then we were surprised by a dog not on leash. Both dogs did a little butt sniffing and the other dog tried to get Bear to chase him. Bear wanted to, but didn't pull on the leash or anything.

Dogs want to be with their pack leaders, and really... just putting him with a person is kindest. Later, you can move it out, after he's use to you. Just a thought. Also, feed him in his crate, which will make him like it better :)

I agree with this. My family did not understand this when I was growing up, we had backyard dogs. From all the reading I did before we got our dog, I realized that making the dog sleep alone away from the pack can make her feel punished or shunned. If you don't want her in your room, maybe one of your kids?