Menu

Stock Market for kids?

Has anyone taught their kids about the stock market?

I would love to get a little group together to learn about it but have no idea where to begin.

My 11 year old is reading Lawn Boy and it has piqued his interest in the stock market.

When he was a baby I made some small investments for him in McDonalds and other kid friendly companies and now he is excited to learn about how his money is growing (hopefully :001_smile:).

Thanks!

Yep, sure have.

I just take the kids to Edward Jones and let them teach some, and I do some at home. You are smack on with letting kids invest in companies they like.

Also, JA here is a great resource. The web-based units/topics for this are so extensive.

One tip I'd share: When we see/hear of a company or resource, I write thru snail mail to them, return address in my daughters name. She completely LOVES getting mail in her name, it keeps her interests alive.

My girls are still too young....but I would like to teach them something about it when they get older. We buy each child Disney stock when they are born (we're Disney freaks), so it will be neat to tell them about that and let them see how it has fluctuated over the years that they've been alive.

NH's largest newspaper, the Manchester Union Leader, has an annual stock market challenge for students. The newspaper sends materials to use in teaching about the stock market, and then they send free issues of the paper to students taking part in the challenge, so that students can keep abreast of news that impacts stocks, and to keep track of how the stocks are doing.

In googling "student stock market challenge" to find out information to give you just now, I found a bunch of free resources.