Menu

teaching textbooks/saxon

pjssully

Well, as we hear here often... it depends on the child.

We used Saxon through 5/4. Then dd complained about it being too easy so I gave her the tests for 6/5. She got As on all of them without going through the book! We started 7/6, but she just hated all the review, the boring black and white pages, etc.

The next year I used Spectrum 7, which was cheap, but I wouldn't recommend particularly. She liked that it was a workbook and she didn't have to waste time copying problems.

This year we've used TT Pre-Algebra and we both LOVE it! She's great at mental math so there's enough space for her to write right in the workbook. (I actually took the pages out and made copies. I give her one chapter at a time.)

TT incorporates silliness, drawings, more white space, less repetition than Saxon incorporates, and with eliminating copying the problems, it's perfect for us.

BTW, dd is 12. I may have her use Math Relief after going through TT Algebra 1 and 2, just to cement it. We have plenty of time.

This year we've used TT Pre-Algebra and we both LOVE it! She's great at mental math so there's enough space for her to write right in the workbook. (I actually took the pages out and made copies. I give her one chapter at a time.)

TT incorporates silliness, drawings, more white space, less repetition than Saxon incorporates, and with eliminating copying the problems, it's perfect for us.

Do you use the CDs, or just the workbook?

I can not compare the programs at grade level (i.e. Saxon 6/5 with TT Math 5), but we are using both curriculums in our household. My daughter, age 12, just finished TT Pre-Algebra. She felt like the first 2/3s of the book was easy / boring. The last 1/3 is an easy introduction to Algebra and most of the concepts were new. I am considering a different curriculum for her next year because I want to make sure she is challenged. She is also very good at math and does not need a lot of repitition to remember the concepts.

My son, age 10, just finished Saxon 6/5. I am considering TT for him and I gave him the 7th grade placement test to see which program he would use. He only missed one problem. This makes me wonder whether or not the 7th grade TT course will be too easy for him (he will be in 5th grade).

I am obviously at a crossroads in determining which Math curriculum i will use next year. However, I can tell you that Saxon appears to be more advanced.

Hope this helps!

I have not used either although I am going to be using saxon this next year. There is a post on here somewhere though that talks alot about TT and how it is a good curriculum but maybe you need to hve your child work a year ahead because I guess it is not the same scope and sequence as other math books(its easier) I dont know since I have not used it but I would do a search for TT and look into to what others have said.

I have used Saxon (from 54-alg 2) in the past and I use TT right now. Currently I have a student finishing up TT Prealgebra.

It is lite. Very, very lite. However the explanations are so clear that I cannot see it going back to Saxon.

I use it along with two other things; Aleks and MEP. Aleks provides the badly needed extra practice and MEP approaches math from a different perspective. A typical day for Gabriel is that he does 20 minutes of Aleks, followed by a TT lesson and then at some point in the day we do about 20 minutes of MEP math.

I know it sounds crazy to stick with a curriculum that I feel like I have to supplement with two more programs, but when we did Saxon I had to employ private tutors for my children and I just cannot afford to keep doing that.

TT is a lighter program, but it is math that we understand.

And that is the good, the bad and the ugly on TT as I see it.:tongue_smilie:

My son, age 10, just finished Saxon 6/5. I am considering TT for him and I gave him the 7th grade placement test to see which program he would use. He only missed one problem. This makes me wonder whether or not the 7th grade TT course will be too easy for him (he will be in 5th grade).

My DD did the tests for TT at about lesson 65 in 6/5, she tested into Algebra. The only things she missed on the pre-algebra was the fraction stuff she hadn't reached yet, and 1/2 of those she figured out on her own.

A friend that just got Pre-Algebra after having done 7th last year said that 3/4 of it is going to be easy-peasy review for her son - and he struggles with math. Well, he struggled with Saxon, did well with TT.

HTH!

I have used Saxon since day one of hsing. As a former math teacher I find the repetition boring for the children but essential for retention of concepts. I think that it should be used a year ahead and that it is okay at some points to skip a book. I helped a friend's dd who was using the TT and I was really disappointed in it. The concepts are taught in a very strange way that I personally had trouble following. My friends dd is now back in Saxon. It is harder for a non math person to teach Saxon but the DIVE CD's are available. I would also consider a tutor if this is a problem. That being said - with Algebra I am switching to Jacob's b/c I believe that it will be more challenging and b/c I think that Saxon is weak in Geometry as well. I do not start Jacob's until next year so I will have to let you know how that goes!

What I like about Saxon is that I never really understood "how" math worked until I started HSing using Saxon. But of course not everyone is hung up on the "how and why" and just wants to be able to "do" the math.

So if you have a child that likes the challenge and wants to master the concepts, I suggest Saxon.

(future science majors maybe)

With 4 DD's I've had both, 2 love(d) Saxon, 1 does well but says she doesn't and the other hates it.

I'm afraid to not use Saxon as I feel if you start with the hardest, you can always adjust it to suit your needs by taking more time with a lesson or assigning less problems.

My 12yo prefers TT (or at least the demo version on their website) and would like to get it, but I think we really need to go with Saxon since she desires to go into nursing. I would get the DIVE CDs to go with it. She's a visual learner, and she HATED Saxon when we tried 5/4 (without DIVE). However, she really enjoyed it at the primary level with all the manipulatives and "projects" to do.

I think Saxon 5/4 might have been a little more bearable for her if we had used graph paper for her to work out the problems and keep the columns straight. She really detests having to write out exercises on separate paper no matter what the subject. She doesn't like R&S English for this reason, either, so I'm not sure my dd's dislike of Saxon is because of the math itself... which is why we'll do it a little differently if/when we go back into it next year.

We have used both TT pre-algebra and Saxon 7/6 and 8/7 at our house and preferred Saxon by far.

I really was excited about TT when I found them, but the pre-algebra was VERY lite and my daughter was both bored and more confused when she finished.

Saxon can be a bit dry but I believe that both my kids have a greater understanding of math concepts and greater retention with Saxon.