Menu

S/O Epipen Storage Goof (do I have to replace?)

I'm new to the Epipen world. DS is allergic to 5 out of the 6 trees they tested, has oral allergy syndrome, and is allergic to soy. We got the epipen because it once begged for an Odwalla Chocolate Milk, which is soy milk, drank about an ounce, and then told DD that it felt like he had a ball stuck in his throat. He seems fine with soybean oil and soy lethicin. We don't generally consume things with soy; they few things I cook that have soy sauce is easily amended by simply omitting it. At potlucks, I tell him not to eat anything labeled as gluten free or dairy free since they are more likely to have soy as a substitute. Generally, I don't feel he's at high risk.

Anyway, we went to the park where we'd be having a potluck lunch so I brought it along. It was hot so I threw it in someone's cooler. Then I forgot it in their cooler and they threw it in the fridge when they got home. It was in the cooler for a few hours (but I don't think it was that cold) and the fridge for about half an hour.

Does it need to be replaced?

the problem is not with the medication. It is likely perfectly fine.

It's the shooting mechanism. The little spring that gets the needle out is easily set out of line when there are changes in temperature. So you might have the medication with you, but no way to get it into the body. I wouldn't trust it as my sole source of epinephrine.

http://www.itsmyhealth.com.au/medicines/epipen/storage-and-disposal

Do not place EpiPen®in the fridge. Do not leave EpiPen®in your car. Extreme temperatures may cause the auto-injector unit to malfunction.
Edited by CleoQc

I replace my son's whenever I do something like that. I've not done that exact thing but similar stuff. When we first started carrying them I felt like I did something every few months! If we're out of temperature range specifications on the box (and you are...) I replace. I hate it. They are expensive. But if the thing is needed we need it to work.

So in your case I'd replace. The company, your pharmacist, and your allergist will tell you to replace I would expect. You could always call and ask.

Oh, use the old one with an orange for practice. It's different in feel than the practice pen. It kicks back on you.

I replace my son's whenever I do something like that. I've not done that exact thing but similar stuff. When we first started carrying them I felt like I did something every few months! If we're out of temperature range specifications on the box (and you are...) I replace. I hate it. They are expensive. But if the thing is needed we need it to work.

So in your case I'd replace. The company, your pharmacist, and your allergist will tell you to replace I would expect. You could always call and ask.

Oh, use the old one with an orange for practice. It's different in feel than the practice pen. It kicks back on you.

Too cold or too hot for more than an hour, and she gets a new one and has family practice with the old one. She's allergic to stings and has been hospitalized twice when she didn't get it right away.