Menu

Sewing Machine for a Beginner

I want to learn how to sew, but don't have a sewing machine. My MIL's unearthed an old Viking machine in her garage, but it's missing a power cord and foot pedal. :glare:

I've searched on this forum and it seems like the general advice is to go with an used, older, all-metal machine as opposed to new cheap mass merchandize models. Or get a fancy several hundred/thousands dollars one.

Which is fine, if you know what you are getting into. I've been searching Ebay and Craigslist ads. There's such variety of choices, prices etc. that my head is spinning.

Our budget is $200 or (hopefully) less.

I'd like something that is easy to use and, in case of a problem, will not have me wondering if it's me or the sewing machine's fault, YKWIM?

Our local quilt shop has this one http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n2-i310-sUS.htmlfor just under $200, but it seems really basic, esp. for the price. It's cute though. :D

There's this one at Costco, it's only $90. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11630171&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|28071&N=4047457&Mo=8&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=28071&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1⟨=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

So, Hive, help me out, please? :bigear:

Check out reviews on http://sewing.patternreview.com/

There's a lady on vintage singers groups who has a business and will sell you directly or through ebay, power cords and pedals, really inexpensively. I'll try to find her email and PM you. She's fantastic. I've bought from her.

Here it is -- I'll PM you her email.

Cindy Peters ~

http://community.webshots.com/user/stitchesintime

~ http://stores.ebay.com/Stitches-in-TimeCindy Peters ~

Edited by stripe

I got my first machine about 5 years ago, and got the same advice--either go old or go expensive. I didn't want to, and I'm stubborn, so I bought this one. and you know what? I have loved it. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Affordable-60-Stitch-Computerized-Free-Arm/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1309744131&sr=1-1

First- call local sewing repair shops and ask for the price to maintenance the machine. Also, ask on the cost of a new pedal and power cord. My sewing machine shop sells cords and pedals very reasonable. I recommend all my clients get their machine serviced if it has been sitting for awhile. Personally, avoid the Bernina as it is junk now. I have one and it just loves the repair shop. My shop stopped selling them due to the cheap parts they use now. My other machines are 2 Brothers, a Janome ( all metal one) and a 1910 Singer.

I want to learn how to sew, but don't have a sewing machine. My MIL's unearthed an old Viking machine in her garage, but it's missing a power cord and foot pedal. :glare:

I've searched on this forum and it seems like the general advice is to go with an used, older, all-metal machine as opposed to new cheap mass merchandize models. Or get a fancy several hundred/thousands dollars one.

Which is fine, if you know what you are getting into. I've been searching Ebay and Craigslist ads. There's such variety of choices, prices etc. that my head is spinning.

Our budget is $200 or (hopefully) less.

I'd like something that is easy to use and, in case of a problem, will not have me wondering if it's me or the sewing machine's fault, YKWIM?

Our local quilt shop has this one http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n2-i310-sUS.htmlfor just under $200, but it seems really basic, esp. for the price. It's cute though. :D

There's this one at Costco, it's only $90. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11630171&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|28071&N=4047457&Mo=8&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=28071&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1⟨=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

So, Hive, help me out, please? :bigear:

If you can replace the cord to your Viking, do it! The Bernette is cute :) but the Brother has more stitch options. I've had a variety of machines. I can say that my Brother lasted me ten good years without taking it to a maintenance shop beyond the first time (you always take it in immediately after purchase).

yikes! See if you can find a simple vacuum and repair shop...not a Viking shop (?)

:iagree: There's a locally owned shop here in my small town where the guy works on vacuums and sewing machines. He's been in business for many years, and does great work. He does sell used machines and a few new models that he recommends. I bought a new Singer free arm portable sewing machine there for about $200 about 15-20 years ago, and it's been great. I've only had it in the shop once (cost about $70 to have it cleaned and oiled and to fix whatever minor thing was wrong with it--can't even remember now what that was).

Thank you!

I did look on that site and it was even more confusing. I think I need someone who'd take my hand, stand me in front of a machine and say, "Here, get this one!". :tongue_smilie:

Get the Viking. Take it to a local sewing shop and have them go over it and replace the missing parts. My local shop charges $50 to check over, oil and fix up a machine - likely more for repairs. Even if it runs twice that it's a bargain.

If not the Viking look on used sites for ones from the 70's and 60's that will do a zig zag. Ones that old and older last forever - they're metal with few or no plastic parts. As you learn more you may want a machine that can do more but you'll still love having a reliable machine that wild do a nice straight stitch.

Honestly, for your budget you're not going to find a new or newer machine that's worth buying. So go for one that's a lot older.

Mine are the 60 year old Singer 15-91 that my GMIL gave me and a Singer from the early 70's. That latter cost me $10 (I actually bought it for the table it came in) and chugs along like a dream. I also have a much newer Kenmore I bought when I first got married that lives at my mother's house. I might go get it one day but the $10 machine does everything I need right now.

I second (third, fourth, whatever we're up to) having the Viking looked into.

Otherwise, I have a mid-range Brother that I've had for several years and have had no problems with whatsoever. I almost immediately lost the manual, so I downloaded a new PDF one from their site. My mother, on the other hand, has a Pfaff that has to be professionally dealt with every.single.time she uses it. (which is thankfully not often)

And, fwiw, my absolutely craftiest friend has a plastic, 20 year old Singer that does straight and maybe zigzag. She does amazing things with that machine.

I second (third, fourth, whatever we're up to) having the Viking looked into.

Otherwise, I have a mid-range Brother that I've had for several years and have had no problems with whatsoever. I almost immediately lost the manual, so I downloaded a new PDF one from their site. My mother, on the other hand, has a Pfaff that has to be professionally dealt with every.single.time she uses it. (which is thankfully not often)

And, fwiw, my absolutely craftiest friend has a plastic, 20 year old Singer that does straight and maybe zigzag. She does amazing things with that machine.

My first machine was an old, metal Singer that only did those two things. You can do amazing things once you learn.