Menu

Research papers - is there a resource that teaches how

Is there a resource/book out there that teaches all the ins and out of how to do a research paper. I know SWB has info on the website. But I am looking for a thorough book that my dd could use now and take to college with her later.

I haven't had her prepare many in-depth research papers (10+ pages). Now as she is heading off to college, I am feeling like I have not prepared her well enough. I had thought about letting her do one this summer.

I used it to teach research papers how-to to a dozen high schoolers in co-op. I wish I could post their papers so you could see how successful it was. It's a great workbook, and the last exercise in each unit is "now go do this for YOUR paper" so they learn WHY from the mini-lesson, HOW by doing the sample exercises, then they APPLY this as they work their way thru their own paper. Awesome!

Dolly,

Just a few questions, if you don't mind--is it necessary to purchase the teacher's book? Did you use it with your class? If so, what all does it include? Also did you order the book directly from Sadler-Oxford or from another source?

Teresa

I ordered a dozen student books and the teacher's edition all directly from Sadlier Oxford. The teacher's edition is just the answers to the "blanks" in the student text. Generally, I could have made my own "TE" by writing in the answers myself - but once or twice I ... ahem... "was interested" in "their correct answer" ...so was the TE worth it? Well, not really, but it was nice.

However, it's JUST ANSWERS in a thin-stapled booklet and NOT particularly quick & easy to use "in class..." So I wasted another student workbook, filled in the answers and used THAT in class - to have everything handy.

It was worth it - I will use this resource again in a co-op situation. I really like it (I guess I already said that :tongue_smilie: )