Menu

Big drapery project - need help with calculations and economics

Basically, I am going to cover a wall with drapery (somewhat along the lines of the sides of a movie theater. It is 17 feet wide and I will say 8 feet tall to include enough fabric for rod pocket and hem.

Please tell me if these coverage calculations seem correct to you.

17ft @ 12pm per ft = 204in to cover

204 x 2 to double for gathering = 408in needed for width

408in divided by 54in wide fabric = appx 7.5 panels, round up to 8 for side hem allowances

8 panels @ 8ft length each = 64ft of fabric

64ft divided by 3 = appx 25.5 yards of fabric

So, if the math is correct, what do you think is the least expensive way to do this? I could get 7 premade drapery panels, but to get them 7.5ft long (90 inches)... am I going into special order territory?

Also, have you ever ordered fabric online? Any good sources to share? I know what I'd like but it's too expensive for me to consider with a good conscience unless I could get a deep discounted price (and honestly, it's just basic home decor fabric, nothing fancy, really!).

Then, once curtains are up, is there something I can treat them with that will discourage critters? Anyone ever done a little tea tree oil mist or something similar?

I look forward to reading some replies!

I've ordered from www.fabric.com and www.denverfabrics.com before with no problems. You might also want to consider extra-wide fabric (like 108 in. wide), so you would need 17 ft x 2 (for gathering) x 12 in/ft = 408 in. of extra-wide fabric = 11 1/3 yds plus a little extra of course. You could search for extra wide drapery fabric or quilt backing fabric.

If you go with regular width fabric, it might make sense to buy an entire bolt of fabric if it's less expensive. Denver fabrics sends out coupons once in a while if you sign up for their emails as well.

Have fun!

Edited by sgo95
grammar

I can't help with online sources because I shop at a local decorator fabric outlet (Interior Alternative--there are a few in the country--mainly Schumacher fabrics).

I've done a space larger than that, I think 30' wide x 10' long, for our church hall. That much fabric is heavy! Make sure the rod can support the weight. Are you looking for drapery-weight fabric only? Have you considered one of the colored and/or embellished sheers? You'd need to increase the multiple to 3x but the sheers tend to come in 108in bolts. You could railroad the fabric so that you wouldn't have all those internal seams.

Not sure this will help.

I bought 6 full length curtains from Target that were on sale for $5.50 each. These have a large hem in them that could add several inches if you undo the hem. If that is still not long enough I would purchase a contrasting color to add the extra length to them (This can be for the top or bottom hem). Or buy a size closest to your needs and take up the hem if they are too short. I have bought curtains on sale or sheets or blankets and used the material for all sorts of projects. You would have a hard time finding this quality material for the amount of the sale price if you bought similar at a fabric store.

How fun!

I am no help at all with measurements, BUT my go to place for fabric for draperies etc is ebay.

HTH

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I never in a million years would have thought of eBay for fabric! This is a fun project - home theater room - but I want it to be one I can do quick and as inexpensively as possible!

:grouphug: to you, hope your selling process is seeing some action. And I hope the sun is shining more brightly in your neck of the woods than it did a few weeks ago, iykwim.

I've ordered from www.fabric.com and www.denverfabrics.com before with no problems. You might also want to consider extra-wide fabric (like 108 in. wide), so you would need 17 ft x 2 (for gathering) x 12 in/ft = 408 in. of extra-wide fabric = 11 1/3 yds plus a little extra of course. You could search for extra wide drapery fabric or quilt backing fabric.

If you go with regular width fabric, it might make sense to buy an entire bolt of fabric if it's less expensive. Denver fabrics sends out coupons once in a while if you sign up for their emails as well.

Have fun!

I did not know I could purchase extra wide fabric like that, I will definitely keep it in mind for future projects. It would make it nicer not to have to have so many vertical seams. Thanks for the web sites, too.

I can't help with online sources because I shop at a local decorator fabric outlet (Interior Alternative--there are a few in the country--mainly Schumacher fabrics).

I've done a space larger than that, I think 30' wide x 10' long, for our church hall. That much fabric is heavy! Make sure the rod can support the weight. Are you looking for drapery-weight fabric only? Have you considered one of the colored and/or embellished sheers? You'd need to increase the multiple to 3x but the sheers tend to come in 108in bolts. You could railroad the fabric so that you wouldn't have all those internal seams.

Sheers would not do the trick, but there sure are some pretty ones out there. I have used nice brocade tablecloths in previous homes, as long window panels, but dh wants these to look like true drapery. I know these will be heavy - installation is HIS job. ;)

Not sure this will help.

I bought 6 full length curtains from Target that were on sale for $5.50 each. These have a large hem in them that could add several inches if you undo the hem. If that is still not long enough I would purchase a contrasting color to add the extra length to them (This can be for the top or bottom hem). Or buy a size closest to your needs and take up the hem if they are too short. I have bought curtains on sale or sheets or blankets and used the material for all sorts of projects. You would have a hard time finding this quality material for the amount of the sale price if you bought similar at a fabric store.

Well, that is what I did! I scored big on some clearance draperies on the JC Penney web site! I was just-this-close to ordering fabric, but I just didn't feel good about the cost. On top of that, still being surrounded by boxes, dread was building for having to actually set up and complete a sewing project. So I started looking for drapes. I found some 42"Wx95"L panels in navy blue. They were regularly $50 each, on sale for $14.99! I ordered 10 panels and all I have to do is hem them. I could never have bought the fabric for $150, it would have been at the very least another hundred dollars (and then I would still have to do the sewing).

So, yaaaayyy! Doing the happy dance here!

Thanks, gals, for all your good ideas. It is a relief to have this checked off my list.

Edited by AuntieM