Menu

I'm looking for patterns for history costumes for children

campmom

does anyone know where I can find these? Particularly for boys for Rev. war time, civil war time. The local pattern stores don't have anything for little boys. I googled but didn't really come up with anything. I'm wanting to bring in some fun history play.

TIA

How authentic do you want to go? We are interpreters for a museum, so we have to be completely authentic, but there are patterns for everything from costume, to authentic, to in between.

For Civil War, Period Impressions are your best bet. I would recommend them for an Int./Adv. sewer however, period clothing includes different techniques and is significantly more difficult than modern sewing. If you are looking for more of a costume and authenticity is not an issue, and are a beginning sewer, stick with the Big 3 patterns. If it is for a little boy (under 7 or so) then Elizabeth Stewart Clark's patterns are the easiest (can be used by a beginner) and are the most authentic.

For Rev. War, William Booth Draper is well known in the museum world, just click on the Children's patterns link. Jas Townshend also sells ready-made clothing both in costume & more authentic versions, as well as children's patterns.

Thanks everyone, I'll check these out. I'm not looking for authentic, just close and something I won't mind them playing in. They would like some uniforms. They are 6 and 8 and really into acting out the things they are learning about. I love it:001_smile:!

I can sew well but I don't have much time so easy would be better.

I'm thinking about these costumes for Christmas presents.

Any more suggestions?

Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick have alot of girl patterns and adult, but not much for boys and not for the time periods I'm wanting at this point (American History).

Anymore suggestions?

I also would like to buy hats to go with my outfits if anyone knows where to get those.

TIA