Menu

I really like CLE Language Arts, except that....

Greta

I'm finding that the downside to the workbook format is that it's difficult to find information you've already covered, but which you need to refer back to for review.

Let's say my daughter has punctuated something incorrectly, so for her to understand why the way she did it was wrong, I want her to go back and review the rule that covered it. Or maybe she's forgotten that a certain word is a helping verb, and she needs to look at that chart that showed the helping and being verbs. Hmm, which one of the six workbooks we've already completed this year was that in? And how does she find it?!? :confused:

It would be nice to have a text to refer back to, a nicely indexed text with a good table of contents, so that she could find information like this on her own. I'm trying to teach her some independence, and to take the initiative to find answers herself instead of asking me. Don't get me wrong, I know it's my job to help her and I'm happy to do so! But I think I've unintentionally enabled some laziness, and she'd much rather just ask me than look it up. I want her to develop information-finding skills, but with these workbooks it's even hard for ME to find the information.

The funny thing is, we don't have this problem with CLE math at all. Maybe it's because she's stronger in math and doesn't need to refer back to old lessons. But with LA it's starting to become annoying.

So, am I missing something obvious with CLE that would make it easier to use? Or is it time to consider another program?

No, you are not the only one.

Okay, that's good to know! :001_smile:

We don't use their LA anymore but we have the same problem with Math :0)

Julia

May I ask what you switched to for LA, and if you're happy with it?

I didn't switch to CLE LA till 7th' date=' but the lightunits have references in brackets and/or parentheses in each lesson which refer back to either where it was learned in the lightunit[/quote']

I've never seen that in the 500 level. Bummer, because that would be really handy! I wonder if 600 has it. If so, we might stick it out. If not, I think I'm going to be more tempted to try something else.

or where information could be found in the CLE English Handbook.

Well, now I'm feeling really stupid. There's a CLE English handbook??? Oh, wait, do you mean the Teacher's Guidebook? Or is this something else?

We have the same problem with the LA. We love the program but she has trouble looking back through the workbook for help when she doesn't remember a particular rule. We have the optional reference chart but can't always find what is needed. I too have been thinking about how to "fix" this. I'm not sure if this will work or not but I may have my dd start a notebook of sorts. My idea was to cut-out the "learning" segments and paste them in a notebook so she can browse when she forgets a skill. I have to look at the workbooks again to see if this would work for us.

Oh, if the upper levels have an English Handbook and references throughout the workbook that would be great! But, that doesn't help us right now. I'm trying to transition my dd into finding more answers independently when she's working on review sections.

Not sure that I'm any help but you're not alone in this. I'd love to see how others have handled this.

May I ask what you switched to for LA, and if you're happy with it?

It was a lot of busywork for us. My dd was busy trying to finish the pages but not necessary remembering the lessons that were taught. I don't know if that makes sense:0)

Julia

Edited by kengjw

We love CLE Math so much (just finishing level 100) that I decided to try CLE for LA next year too. After receiving it and sitting down with it for a while, I decided against it. It seems to skip around too much for ds. We are going with a combination of The Sentence Family and FLL next year.

I've that problem with CLE LA, about 3 times over a whole year. Once or twice I buckled down and searched backwards until I found what I needed. Recently, when she was having a problem with contractions, I just googled it. That worked.

Starting a notebook sounds like a good idea. I might just have dd do that when she starts level 3.

I just looked at the CLE website. I guess the references don't start till 7th grade. It is called the CLE English Handbook. I use Rod & Staff through 6th grade and would continue' date=' but I really needed something my oldest could do independently.[/quote']

Thank you for looking that up. I guess I should have done so myself, but wasn't sure what to look for!

So R&S requires a lot of teacher instruction?

Thank you for looking that up. I guess I should have done so myself, but wasn't sure what to look for!

I had the exact same problem with CLE LA. I used it when my 2nd son was in 4th grade because he needed something different from my oldest (who was using Rod & Staff a year behind level).

Anyway, now all my boys are doing R&S on level.

I have my guys read the lesson, then I do the oral questions from the teacher's manual and verify they understand the lesson. This takes me less than 10 minutes.

I too have been thinking about how to "fix" this. I'm not sure if this will work or not but I may have my dd start a notebook of sorts. My idea was to cut-out the "learning" segments and paste them in a notebook so she can browse when she forgets a skill. I have to look at the workbooks again to see if this would work for us.

Hmmm . . . that is a thought. It's a really clever idea, but I'm lazy and I want this kind of work done for me when I buy the curriculum! :lol:

Edited by GretaLynne

I had the exact same problem with CLE LA. I used it when my 2nd son was in 4th grade because he needed something different from my oldest (who was using Rod & Staff a year behind level).

Anyway, now all my boys are doing R&S on level.

I have my guys read the lesson, then I do the oral questions from the teacher's manual and verify they understand the lesson. This takes me less than 10 minutes.

Thanks for mentioning this! I think I will take a look at R&S. You're pretty happy with it?

Thanks for mentioning this! I think I will take a look at R&S. You're pretty happy with it?

I love it, and don't plan to hop again. I've got through level 8 on my shelf (I'm not sure if we'll do 9 & 10). My ds11 has used 3, 4, & 6. My ds10 has used 3 & 5. My ds9 has used 2 & 3. This year we'll be using levels 7, 6, 4, & 2.

I have found that I really need to take those few minutes and go over the lesson with them. Even if they understand it (which they almost always do), the review questions asked in the teacher's edition are key for remembering for my boys.

I prefer R&S too and do it pretty much the same way, only I do a bit of it orally before setting her loose to finish up...but I only have her do a couple sentences or so from each section instead of writing it all. Anything we can do orally without hindering understanding, we do. I never spend new than 10-15m. If there is a worksheet for that day's lesson, she does that instead (and if the lesson has a reviewing what we've learned section, we do go over that too). I agree about the oral review from the TM. It's very important!

I love it, and don't plan to hop again. I've got through level 8 on my shelf (I'm not sure if we'll do 9 & 10). My ds11 has used 3, 4, & 6. My ds10 has used 3 & 5. My ds9 has used 2 & 3. This year we'll be using levels 7, 6, 4, & 2.

I have found that I really need to take those few minutes and go over the lesson with them. Even if they understand it (which they almost always do), the review questions asked in the teacher's edition are key for remembering for my boys.

I prefer R&S too and do it pretty much the same way, only I do a bit of it orally before setting her loose to finish up...but I only have her do a couple sentences or so from each section instead of writing it all. Anything we can do orally without hindering understanding, we do. I never spend new than 10-15m. If there is a worksheet for that day's lesson, she does that instead (and if the lesson has a reviewing what we've learned section, we do go over that too). I agree about the oral review from the TM. It's very important!

Wow, thank you both -- this sounds pretty good! I will look at it more closely. And I may find this information in that process, but would you have any advice for me regarding placement? She's on grade level in CLE, so can I just put her into the next grade with R&S? I will browse around and see if they have a placement test.

Thanks!

No, I wouldn't say a lot of instruction. I just needed something that did not need me for him to get him started on. When we did R&S, I would go over the teacher review questions with him and then he would read the lesson and we would then go over the class problems together and I would assign him any written work I deemed necessary. With my 4th ds now school age I just cannot do it. With 1 or 2 children I was fine and I liked knowing where he was at, and I learned right along with him. I do like that CLE includes spelling and copy work which are both subjects he needs help in.

So, am I missing something obvious with CLE that would make it easier to use? Or is it time to consider another program?

There is an index in the back of the teacher's manual listed by concept directing to the LU and the lesson number. You could easily make a photocopy and give it to DC so they can learn how to look it up in the LU's. I never had problems finding what I needed to review when I checked the index.

I didn't need it for math either, so I'm not sure if there is one.