Menu

I need a GOOD book to read...for ME

Hedgehogs4

If I loved The Help by Kathryn Stockett, I will also like...

Oh, and if you haven't read that book, you should! It was great.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, really, but vampires, gratuitous sex and excessive swearing do nothing for me.

I have been reading a few books on slavery ever since I read The Help. I recently read, and loved, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. Both are, of course, older, but really worthwhile reads.

I also heard that Same Kind of Different As Me is good and in a similar vein as The Help.

Other books that I've read recently and really liked, if you like grittier memoirs - The Glass Castle, pullitzer-prize winner Angela's Ashes (plus the follow-up to it 'Tis).

ETA: I recently read The Forgotten Garden and thought it was also good.

I liked "The Help" OK.

I have a few favorites:

The Outlander Series (there is some sex scenes and sometimes it is over the top, but overall these are really exciting books - sex aside).

Harry Potter Series - I honestly don't know if or when my kids will be allowed to read it, but I loved it.

Charles Dickens - David Copperfield. This is the most endearing, heart-warming book I've ever read. It starts off a little slow (and takes some time to adjust to the language), but it is SO worth it as you journey with this sweet young man :)

Likewise, I've been enjoying Jane Austen books recently.

I am just finishing Johnny Tremain. This is one one of best books I have read in a long time. (Yes, I know it is in the junior fiction section of the library!). I feel like I have lived through the Boston Tea Party and the beginnings of the Revolutionay War in Boston, with Paul Revere, John Hancock, and Sam Adams as personal acquaintances.

I keep thinking of others. Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird? I saw that suggested here http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/wsirn.php

And I totally agree. However, I didn't love many of the books recommended there. Just this one mainly. Even if you've watched the movie, if you've not read the book, you should.

Thanks for this website! I've been looking for something like this.