Menu

I'm sad (and a bit politically angry) about the last launch.........

But wait... isn't this what many here want, the end of big government programs. Let private industry take up the space program. Let the free market and big business decided whether we continue to explore space, if it's cost effective and brings big $$ to their shareholders. :tongue_smilie:

I think you are being facetious, but I agree with the face-value of what you are saying.

I am a minarchist, though, so there is that. :001_smile:

While this is tragic, the last time this happened was over 20 years ago. Since then we have taken great strides to protect our astronauts. The Russian space shuttle is out-dated and dangerous right now.

The Columbia space shuttle, commanded by Rick Husbands, was destroyed upon re-entry in 2003 and with it, the loss of the entire crew.

I am saddened at the loss of the program and am very concerned about not having a worthy program to replace it, and I am certainly concerned about being dependent on the Russian fleet for transport. However, own fleet was just as dangerous. We've actually lost more astronauts in our shuttle program than the Russians have in theirs.

Faith

The Columbia space shuttle, commanded by Rick Husbands, was destroyed upon re-entry in 2003 and with it, the loss of the entire crew.

I am saddened at the loss of the program and am very concerned about not having a worthy program to replace it, and I am certainly concerned about being dependent on the Russian fleet for transport. However, own fleet was just as dangerous. We've actually lost more astronauts in our shuttle program than the Russians have in theirs.

Faith

Oops, you're right. I stand corrected. Sorry, I'm multi-multi-multi-tasking.

I stand by my assertion that the Russian space craft is out-dated and more dangerous than the American crafts.

The only thing I saw in this article was promises for what they will work on or "are" working on. I didn't see what is going to happen to replace what they are cancelling.

A vehicle based on Orion. There's a lot of talk about it locally among those who work at KSC and CCAFS. There WILL be an announcement but not until after Atlantis returns.

Not only has the retirement of the American Space Shuttle Program set America back in the space race, it will also endanger our astronauts lives.
The space race? Seriously? The space race is a holdover from the cold war and it no longer makes sense. We are no longer competing with the Soviets to be first. International cooperation has been the name of the game for many many years now.

While this is tragic, the last time this happened was over 20 years ago.

Columbia. 2003. Lives lost. Preventable. They knew about the tile problem. 2003 was not 20 years ago.

But wait... isn't this what many here want, the end of big government programs. Let private industry take up the space program. Let the free market and big business decided whether we continue to explore space, if it's cost effective and brings big $$ to their shareholders. :tongue_smilie:

Now you're talking.

Even beyond the nostalgic feelings and the job losses we now have to pay Russia to transport our astronauts as well as astronauts from other countries. We have contracts with Europe, Japan and Canada to provide means to space so now we have to pay Russia for the astronauts from these countries to go to space as well.

It was a stupid move by a government that can't think past the end of their nose. :glare:

:iagree:

A vehicle based on Orion. There's a lot of talk about it locally among those who work at KSC and CCAFS. There WILL be an announcement but not until after Atlantis returns.

Believe when I see it. But humans think and thinking humans are better in unstable, unknowable environments than robots.

The space race? Seriously? The space race is a holdover from the cold war and it no longer makes sense. We are no longer competing with the Soviets to be first. International cooperation has been the name of the game for many many years now.

Militarization is the new space race. We lose the place we've worked 30 years for. We will have no privacy to learn anything new. We may be cooperating with Russia right now, but I really don't think we trust them as an ally. It's still a very carefully choreographed dance.

Columbia. 2003. Lives lost. Preventable. They knew about the tile problem. 2003 was not 20 years ago.

See post #57, just above yours.

I am sad in a nostalgic kind of way. I also agree that the space race inspired many to pursue STEM careers back in the day. Since then, computers and robotics and breakthroughs in medical science have inspired many. I coach robotics and teach science and have not had one child talk to me about being an astronaut. They want to cure cancer, build robots to help disabled kids, etc. These types of goals can still inspire children to pursue STEM careers.

ETA: Rereading this it sounds like I'm saying no one would ever want to be an astronaut. I'm sure many do. Heck I wanted to be one when I was growing up. Didn't mean it that way. Meant that there are exciting discoveries in all areas of science that can still inspire.

We are asking our government to do more and more for us and all of that costs. We are broke and spending like crazy. So, while I would have chosen differently, I cannot be too sad that our gov't is choosing to cut a program. Hope that inspires them to keep cutting. They can feel free to contact me for a list. ;)

The federal government is supposed to do things that are too big for private industry. The space program is a perfect example of what the federal government SHOULD be doing.

Even beyond the nostalgic feelings and the job losses we now have to pay Russia to transport our astronauts as well as astronauts from other countries. We have contracts with Europe, Japan and Canada to provide means to space so now we have to pay Russia for the astronauts from these countries to go to space as well.

:iagree: