Menu

Help needed with possible dyslexia

DS is almost 9 and attends a Montessori school. I am increasingly concerned that he has dyslexia or something similar. We did have some testing done which showed that his reading/writing was not as good as would be expected based on his intelligence but the delay was not severe enough to qualify for dyslexia. However, I did not agree with the psychologist - the evaluation was mainly because of behavior problems (which have since mostly gone away) and the doctor specialized in ADS (which DS does not have). The doctor assumed that the delays in reading/writing were due to a) Montessori school b) Family situation (single mother) and c) bilingual environment. While I agree that these factors might worsen the condition, I do think there is something else going on here.

DS is VERY intelligent but reading has been quite difficult. He has just recently started reading for pleasure. I feel he is catching up as far as reading is concerned but still makes strange mistakes:

- Skipping over words, reading words that do not fit the context at all (but look somewhat similar), very hard for him to sound out new words, loses his place on the page, etc.

Even worse is writing/spelling:

The handwriting is pretty horrible and hardly legible. He does try but writing doesn't stay on line etc. He isn't the most neat/orderly child which makes it worse (tries to fix mistakes by squeezing in letters etc.). He has a hard time spacing out words too.

The worst is spelling though. His sentences often miss whole words and letters. (e.g. writing "the children play the garden" - missing the 'in'). He has absolutely no such problems when speaking though.

The really strange thing is that he can often spell a word when I ask him to but writes something else (e.g. spelling horse h-o-r-s-e but writing 'hors" or "hrse" - sometimes in the same text). He makes almost as many mistakes copying as writing on his own unless he concentrates very hard. He does not usually have a problem with concentration though.

There is a history of dyslexia in my family so I am not completely surprised.

Anyway, what I have read so far about dyslexia is quite confusing. I am wondering if anyone else has children with similar problems and has experience with possible intervention - preferably something we can do ourselves at home.

Hello and welcome. :)

Lots of us here have experience working with children with reading problems. Reading problems can sometimes come from auditory processing issues, (like poor phonemic awareness) or vision processing problems. There can be other causes too, like poor reading instruction and heavy use sight words. It sounds like the psychologist wants to blame the problems on poor teaching. Problems with reading, spelling and writing can be the results inadequate teaching, but you seem to have a gut instinct telling you there's something more to it than that. I'd follow your gut and investigate more.

Since he can't write on a line and leaves off letters and words that he knows belong there, I'd suggest that you look for a good vision therapist to do an evaluation of both his vision and his visual processing. There are various vision exercises that can be done at home too. If a person has vision processing problem, then correcting that can "fix" the reading and writing problems, but vision processing problems can also exist along with dyslexia.

If your son's reading problems are not simply vision problems, then the Orton-Gillingham method is well proven for teaching people with dyslexia to read. There are several O-G program based programs. I use is Barton,http://bartonreading.com/ It also provides teacher training that allows parents to use the method at home. The student screening on the Barton site is worth giving even if you don't use their program. If you child can't pass that screen then that let's you know something else is going on that needs further work. A speech therapy evaluation or auditory evaluation might be in order if he can't pass that screen.

Your concerns don't just address reading--it includes spelling and writing. Those are often seen along with reading problems, but they can also be fine motor skill problems. All these skills interact with each other, and a deficiency or strength in one area affects the others. A work-up by a pediatric occupational therapist might be worthwhile.

All of the work-ups I recommended were based on the idea that you can find a "good" therapist to work with. It can be frustrating and difficult to deal with these issues if you can't find good people to help you. Maybe your son's school can help direct you to professionals who will help you identify whatever problems might really be going on with your son--instead of someone who just blames you and his teachers.

Edited by merry gardens

:iagree:

The symptoms you list could easily be due to vision issues. I know I must sound like a broken record around here, but an intelligent kiddo who struggles with reading likely has something going on, and I'd rule out vision first, and then move on to dyslexia testing (vision eval is a fraction of the cost of an ed psych eval, and the vision eval is usually much quicker/easier to schedule). See, e.g., http://www.childrensvision.com/reading.htm and http://www.covd.org/Home/AboutVisionLearning/SymptomsChecklist/tabid/114/Default.aspx. I'd find a deveopmental optometrist (at least COVD, but preferrably FCOVD, if there's one near you) at https://covdwp.memberpoint.com/WebPortal/BuyersGuide/ProfessionalSearch.aspx. This type of eval is different from a regular vision checkup (you may need both - talk to the receptionist when you schedule - the optometrist might simply screen for issues during the regular checkup and then decide whether a full developmental vision eval is needed).

Note that it is not uncommon for a person to have both vision issues and dyslexia. But, it's easier to rule out vision first. It can be very difficult, even for the psych, to tease apart the issues without having had the vision eval first.

:iagree:

The symptoms you list could easily be due to vision issues. I know I must sound like a broken record around here, but an intelligent kiddo who struggles with reading likely has something going on, and I'd rule out vision first, and then move on to dyslexia testing (vision eval is a fraction of the cost of an ed psych eval, and the vision eval is usually much quicker/easier to schedule). See, e.g., http://www.childrensvision.com/reading.htm and http://www.covd.org/Home/AboutVisionLearning/SymptomsChecklist/tabid/114/Default.aspx. I'd find a deveopmental optometrist (at least COVD, but preferrably FCOVD, if there's one near you) at https://covdwp.memberpoint.com/WebPortal/BuyersGuide/ProfessionalSearch.aspx. This type of eval is different from a regular vision checkup (you may need both - talk to the receptionist when you schedule - the optometrist might simply screen for issues during the regular checkup and then decide whether a full developmental vision eval is needed).

Note that it is not uncommon for a person to have both vision issues and dyslexia. But, it's easier to rule out vision first. It can be very difficult, even for the psych, to tease apart the issues without having had the vision eval first.

:iagree: Vision therapy was essential for our son. His vision was so bad (even though it was 20/20) that I was at a huge loss. He was disagnosed as dyslexic but after several months of vision therapy that diagnosis was removed. The skipping over words, sentences, losing his place - those were all tracking and convergence issues. His brain just couldn't comprehend what his eyes were telling him. Often the eyes were not working together so his brain would switch back and forth. What a mess! This really effected reading, handwriting, and spelling because he was literally not seeing the same word or the same letter the same way twice. His handwriting was awful because he didn't remember which way was the right way to make the letters. Same for reading. He didn't always know which sounds went with which letters because he had never seen them the same way twice.

Once his vision began improving we hired a tutor trained in the Scottish Rite method for dyslexics. The nontraditional method was a great fit for him. We also liked that it was well researched and well respected. His spelling improved tremendously even though it is not a spelling program. We considered Barton but we were at the frustration point where I needed to be cheerleader instead of coach. There was a local Barton tutor here as well that we considered. She only wanted to work with ds for 2 hrs a week with a 4 year commitment. The Scottish Rite tutor was 4 days a week for 1 hour, with a 2 year time committment to finish the program. Because ds was 8 and already discouraged we chose the shorter time commitment.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Yes, I do think there is something going on with my son other than poor instruction/bilingualism. Actually, the handwriting problems are probably partly due to poor instructions (i.e. he really hasn't been properly taught some of the letters) and learning the sounds for two different languages certainly hasn't made things easier. But most of his problems don't seem to be caused by this.

The more I read, the less I think it is a "typical" dyslexia problem. He knows the letter sounds just fine. It seems to be more a vision problem as several of you suggested or there is some misfiring between brain and hand. The strange thing is that he can often spell a word correctly when I ask him to do so aloud but when he writes it there will be parts missing etc.

To be honest, his problems aren't that severe. He is probably at least at the lower end for his grade level in reading but he is just not performing as well as I would expect. The reading has improved a lot lately and he does now read quite a bit for pleasure so that I think there isn't a need for intervention there. The spelling is another matter though. Actually, I think he will eventually learn to compensate there too (He is improving). Just consistently reading over what he wrote would probably help to reduce the number of mistakes dramatically.

My main problem is that we are under some time pressure. In the middle of next year we will have to choose which school to transfer to for fifth grade. Actually, "choose" is not the right word as the decision is based on tests. If we don't see some major improvements by then, I don't think he will qualify for the top level school (where he definitely belongs based on his interests, cognitive abilities, etc.) and maybe not even for the mid-level school (which is easier as far as classes are concerned but almost as difficult to get into). The only remaining school is not an option for us as it not only has a horrible reputation but would also be a complete misfit with ds's abilities and interests. So I definitely need to get this straightened out in the near future (a definite diagnosis would also help as it would have an impact on the entrance test).

I did think of vision problems before and have taken him to an ophtamologist for testing. Not sure if they tested anything other than regular vision though. Anyway, there everything looked fine.

I did think of vision problems before and have taken him to an ophtamologist for testing. Not sure if they tested anything other than regular vision though. Anyway, there everything looked fine.

My dd's ped opthamologist missed her eye tracking problem. They check for different things. A developmental vision evaluation is quite different from a regular eye checkup.

Twolittleboys--Actually, my first question, when I read your post, is what the behavior problems were and if you got to the root of them. Did this psychologist look for ADD/ADHD, working memory problems, etc.? There are other explanations for the symptoms you're seeing. I'm with you that I'd be concerned, and personally I wouldn't want any long-term decisions being made for his school, etc., when you're perceiving such a difference between his ability and his output.

Would it be possible for you to bring him home and homeschool him? I'm really not meaning to be nosey here, but if the Montessori program isn't working, I'd put that money elsewhere. I really don't know how single moms make it work, so I feel for you. I'm just suggesting that you'd make a LOT more progress if you had more time with him and his best energy time of the day. And I think it would help you sort out what's really going on. Right now you're getting the filtering of what the teacher says. If you bring him home and work with him, you're going to SEE the ADD or working memory or auditory processing problems or whatever the issues are.

Things I would suggest to start teasing these issues out:

-neuropsych eval

-do the free screening test on the Barton website. I didn't say buy Barton. Just do the screening test and see what you learn.

-Go to the library and get WRTR and try it on him. I'm not saying it's what you should stick with forever or the best for a dyslexic, but it's FREE from the library and a place to start learning. After a couple weeks of that you'll have a pretty good opinion of what you need in an OG program for it to fit him. Each of the programs talked about on the boards brings something to the table (hands-on, lots of enrichments, slower pace, etc.). I just think it's helpful to start free and figure out what your dc needs, eliminating expensive mistakes

-get his eyes checked by a developmental optometrist. They look for different things than an opthamologist.

-OT eval. A neuropsych will look at working memory, ADD, etc. etc. The OT will screen for a lot of those things and then look at how they're connected to sensory processing, behavior, etc. For us, the OT eval was VERY eye-opening. If you're having behavior problems, it might help you sort things out.

-Read "The Out of Sync Child" as well as "The Mislabeled Child." Between those two books, I think you'll sort a lot out.

Just assume he's dyslexic. I don't know what it is with this relabeling and redefining of everything. The way they're throwing the labels around these days, they're only looking at outer symptoms; you're not reading so give you the label, you are so don't. Well nuts, I think a lot of us are here to tell you that these kids think differently even when they ARE reading. It's not that simple. It's actual brain-wiring. So for your purposes, teach him like he IS. Remediate him like he IS. Work with him going forward like he IS.

Ok, toss out some more things for you. How is his math? This tends to snowball later when their facts aren't learned. And have you pondered what happens when he hits foreign language requirements in that school? Or what about science if they focus on straight vocab and memorization instead of hands-on (expensive) and concepts? Just because he's surviving in school now DOESN'T mean he'll thrive later. I know you have a hard situation with being single, needing to work, etc. I'm just tossing all that out. That psych (was it through the school? Ed psych? neuropsych? private?) looked at reading, but this stuff affects how they process ALL language. And unfortunately, a lot of school involves language. They go about everything connected to language a bit differently, and they really blossom when you change the methods.

Well that got sort of long. The other stuff repeats everybody else's points. My main thing to add was the OT question. If he has limited working memory or sensory distractions or a bit of dyspraxia, that would explain some of the writing and dictation issues. It's not likely to be all one or the other (vision or motor control). But definitely you want a developmental optometrist exam.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Thank you so much for all the input - I really appreciate it.

OhElizabeth - here some more information:

The psychologist did a whole bunch of tests, the dyslexia part was just an add-on (part of the reason I don't much trust the results). He definitely does not have ADS/ADHD as the doctor specialized in that (so I do trust him more in that respect) and had already (before tests) stated he thought that might be the problem (because I talk fast (??)). Tests did not hint on that and actually no teacher etc. has ever even hinted at it (and they are quick to do so around here).

The behaviour problems are largely fixed. I think they were the result of several components: basic personality (very sensitive, perfectionistic, emotional, dramatic) as well as some family problems (I was employed part-time and starting my own business at the same time - often working 50 hours a week which of course left me rather stressed). DS also has some difficulty in social situations - this usually just causes problems when he is stressed, tired, hungry, etc. But the main reason for the very disturbing behaviour I believe was seasonal depression. This year I finally realized that my son, who was sweet as can be all summer, started acting up by late October/early November EVERY year. By spring things would improve. This year I bought a special lamp for light therapy and things are MUCH better. Looking at this year's report card and last year's you wouldn't believe it is the same child. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have since quit my job and work from home only.

I have been interested in homeschooling for years. But not only would it be difficult as a working single mother (though I think I could probably manage) but we would have to move to another country as it is completely illegal where we live. I would not want to risk prison or losing custody of the children! I am still considering it but at this time it would really be a last resort.

DS is very intelligent and has a great memory. There are no problems with spoken language at all. It is only written output that causes concern. In math the handwriting issue is also there and he does make some mistakes because of not reading properly or leaving off part of a number but it isn't a huge issue. He has absolutely no difficulties with mathematical concepts and I would say he is ahead of grade level there. The same is true for analytical skills, general knowledge, etc.

I will definitely look into finding a developmental optometrist. The problem is only that I am not even sure what they are called here or where to find one. But I guess that is the next step.

I take it you are not in the United States? Homeschooling is legal in every state in the United States, though some states have more restrictions and laws governing it than others. There's a listing for developmental optometrists http://www.covd.org but I don't know if they list internationally.

Now I'll toss out something for you. I was going to ask if he was a late talker or had any issues there. About 75% of children with verbal apraxia (characterized by late talking, dropping words, intelligibility and expressive language issues, etc.) turn out to be dyslexic. Apraxia is caused by motor control problems, not a developmental delay, and in fact some kids (and adults) with apraxia talk FAST to cover up their poor motor control. So that's just some trivia for you to consider. Sometimes the kids come out of it enough that they never get the diagnosis.

On the math, the *concepts* have never been an issue with my dd, only the *facts* and fact memorization.

Well I hope you can find some help for your dc!

www.covd.org but I don't know if they list internationally.

They do list internationally, though naturally there are far fewer in other countries than in the US.

I was going to ask if he was a late talker or had any issues there. About 75% of children with verbal apraxia (characterized by late talking, dropping words, intelligibility and expressive language issues, etc.) turn out to be dyslexic.

OhElizabeth, if you just happen to have a link or source for this very interesting tidbit, I'd love to pass it along to a friend. It makes sense.

OP, on the Montessori angle, it's impossible to know the relevance without knowing the school intimately, because there is no uniformity amongst schools using the Montessori label. My kids are in a Montessori school and we've been very pleased (at least up to the end of Lower Elementary; I ended up pulling my dd out in the middle of 4th grade due to math issues, which is ironic because math is an area that, IMO, really shines in a well-run Montessori school in the early grades). It has been perfect for my ds with issues - his teachers have gone out of their way both to work with his weaknesses and develop his strengths. Ideally, your son's teacher will have a lot more flexibility than a teacher in a traditional classroom. Once you get a better idea of the issues, I'd talk to the teacher. You might also talk to her now about teaching him as though he has a diagnosis of dyslexia, to see if it could help. It's hard to offer more advice without knowing more about how the school is set up.

Wapiti, I *think* I may have read it here http://www.apraxiaspeaks.com/apraxia-reading.html My memory is notoriously bad with specifics. Note that I did NOT pay any money at that site or buy anything. Although I found the content there interesting, I'm rather skeptical of stuff like that. And while I think the idea of an auditory processing connection is interesting, I'm not even sure it applies in our case. No miracle cures, just small miracles you find for your kid.

But with that disclaimer, I'm thinking that's where I read it. I have no clue of her bibliography. The connection however is so commonly mentioned, the stats don't even matter at a certain point. You know though, my ds gives no evidence of the bilaterality issues my dd had (has). So to us, just watching him, he's going to turn out to be one of those percentage that is NOT dyslexic. I have no guarantees though. He might just plain be hard to teach, but that's not exactly the same as dyslexia.

DS is almost 9 and attends a Montessori school. I am increasingly concerned that he has dyslexia or something similar. We did have some testing done which showed that his reading/writing was not as good as would be expected based on his intelligence but the delay was not severe enough to qualify for dyslexia. However, I did not agree with the psychologist - the evaluation was mainly because of behavior problems (which have since mostly gone away) and the doctor specialized in ADS (which DS does not have). The doctor assumed that the delays in reading/writing were due to a) Montessori school b) Family situation (single mother) and c) bilingual environment. While I agree that these factors might worsen the condition, I do think there is something else going on here.

DS is VERY intelligent but reading has been quite difficult. He has just recently started reading for pleasure. I feel he is catching up as far as reading is concerned but still makes strange mistakes:

- Skipping over words, reading words that do not fit the context at all (but look somewhat similar), very hard for him to sound out new words, loses his place on the page, etc.

Even worse is writing/spelling:

The handwriting is pretty horrible and hardly legible. He does try but writing doesn't stay on line etc. He isn't the most neat/orderly child which makes it worse (tries to fix mistakes by squeezing in letters etc.). He has a hard time spacing out words too.

The worst is spelling though. His sentences often miss whole words and letters. (e.g. writing "the children play the garden" - missing the 'in'). He has absolutely no such problems when speaking though.

The really strange thing is that he can often spell a word when I ask him to but writes something else (e.g. spelling horse h-o-r-s-e but writing 'hors" or "hrse" - sometimes in the same text). He makes almost as many mistakes copying as writing on his own unless he concentrates very hard. He does not usually have a problem with concentration though.

There is a history of dyslexia in my family so I am not completely surprised.

Anyway, what I have read so far about dyslexia is quite confusing. I am wondering if anyone else has children with similar problems and has experience with possible intervention - preferably something we can do ourselves at home.

Hmmm, try reading about dysgraphia. It's more than just problems with handwriting and your son certainly has similar symptoms. My son is most likely dysgraphic, he sounds alot like your son. He was also a delayed reader.His bigger issue is with math...processing the symbols.

Wapiti, I *think* I may have read it here http://www.apraxiaspeaks.com/apraxia-reading.html My memory is notoriously bad with specifics. Note that I did NOT pay any money at that site or buy anything. Although I found the content there interesting, I'm rather skeptical of stuff like that. And while I think the idea of an auditory processing connection is interesting, I'm not even sure it applies in our case. No miracle cures, just small miracles you find for your kid.

But with that disclaimer, I'm thinking that's where I read it. I have no clue of her bibliography. The connection however is so commonly mentioned, the stats don't even matter at a certain point. You know though, my ds gives no evidence of the bilaterality issues my dd had (has). So to us, just watching him, he's going to turn out to be one of those percentage that is NOT dyslexic. I have no guarantees though. He might just plain be hard to teach, but that's not exactly the same as dyslexia.

Thank you! I'll take a look. Very interesting about your ds. My two with more issues than the other one are both lefties, though I haven't figured out where that fits in, and they do have some sort of weird auditory thing going on, though never enough to bother going for the full CAPD eval and they too are part of the other 25% that is not dyslexic. (Sometimes this puzzle makes my head hurt :glare::tongue_smilie:). ETA: maybe it is the bilateral issue for dyslexia - I don't recall either of them having a problem with crossing the midline; if they had, it probably would have been noticed in one of the many OT evals.

Edited by wapiti

Thanks again. Www.covd.org didn't list anyone close to us but I think I have found an optometrist close by on the internet that seems to work in this field. I will call next week and see about setting up an appointment.

DS wasn't a late talker nor did he have any real issues in that area. It is a bit difficult to tell as bilingual children are often slightly delayed but even so he was still well within the average range. Anyway, the fast talker that made the doctor think of ADS was me. And while I do talk fast I KNOW that I do not have ADS/ADHS - I am a bit of a hypochondriac and it is hard to find a disease/condition that I don't think might apply to me (I don't read those lists anymore :tongue_smilie:) but ADS/ADHS really doesn't fit at all.

I will take a look at dysgraphia. The funny thing is that ds can actually spell fairly well orally - it is when he writes it down that things go wrong (that isn't typical for dyslaxia is it?)

As far as the Montessori school is concerned, I am not too happy with it. I feel it has moved quite a bit away from the original idea. I do appreciate that there is a lot of social interaction (which is a weak area for ds and I do feel he has improved a lot there) and they do loads of fun stuff (projects, excursions, shows, etc.). On the other hand, there is hardly any time to do regular school work - it seems parents are pretty much expected to ensure the kids learn what they need. In addition, the teacher is not the most involved I have ever seen, nor is she consistent (will often not follow through on what she said, changes rules etc.). This is unfortunately not a good match for my son's personality.

They do not seem overly worried about ds's level. I did get a note from the teacher last fall, basically saying to practise reading with ds and that he needed to improve. I do agree with this but really his reading level has steadily improved and it seems the teacher just suddenly noticed the delay even though it had been apparent to me for almost two years.

My younger ds will start school in December and I have enrolled him in the local public school, at least in part because I do not feel that the Montessori school provides enough individual teaching for his brother. Not that I expect the public school to do a better job, but it is free and much more convenient.

Well there can be dyspraxia (motor control) and dysgraphia entering into the writing, but even the eyes can do that. If you want something really curious, trying patching his left eye and having him write a sentence he makes up (something presumably he can spell easily). Now have him repeat with the other eye, same sentence. Now have him write that same sentence with both eyes together. My dd had one eye that was significantly more problematic than the other. Where the first eye was basically fine, the 2nd eye resulted in numerous punctuation errors, having to start and restart letter formation on a couple letters, etc. And this was on an easy sentence *she* had made up! If there's any glitch in the visual processing, it can show up like that.

The advice to check out visual processing is really good.

But I have to say that the particularities of what you describe also sound very similar to those displayed by my dd, who can spell aloud (and backwards!) with great accuracy but who for years dropped letters or mixed them around inside words when she wrote.

The reading of words that look similar but don't match the context also sounds suspiciously like a kid who does not read phonetically, but visually -- a "whole word" reader, if you will.

Dd did not learn to read phonetically; she taught herself before I realized it and it took me a while to realize her self-teaching methods. But the handwriting issues you describe and the spelling issue were only illuminated years later when I read Jeffrey Freed's book Right-Brained Learners in a Left-Brained World.

Like many of the kids people are describing here, dd had visual processing issues; we did VT for around eight months, I think. This improved a lot of things. But the spelling did not change until I realized that she was indeed a visual speller (I assumed everyone used phonics) and tried out the techniques in the Freed book. In less than 18 months she went from spelling at about a third grade level to an appropriate level for her age (at the time, 8th grade).

Freed has a simple exercise or two which will allow you to discover whether your child uses visual memory to spell, and then has further exercises and techniques -- very simple, very brief -- to help improve visual memory for words. Libraries usually have the book, and it's a fairly quick read. You should be able to sort out whether or not this comes into play with your child in very little time. If it doesn't fit, you've not expended much time or any money. And if it does, much of the help you are looking for is right there -- as is help with reading, math, and writing for V-S kids.

Just a quick update. I have an appointment for this Wednesday with a developmental optometrist (or at least I think that would be the best description). I will post once I have the results.

I will also get the Freed book and take a look at it. As previously mentioned, we are a bit rushed as it is less than a year until the decision regarding school forms has to be made. Hopefully, we can get everything figured out soon.

Just wanted to post a quick update. We had our appointment with the optometrist today. He was very good with the kids and I do think we got a good evaluation. It seems DS is slightly farsighted and has a hint of astigmatism - apparently he does see letters etc. move constantly.

Anyway, we ended up ordering glasses. Hopefully, he will wear them AND I do hope they will help to improve his handwriting/spelling, especially as they are expensive (about 800$!). We'll just have to wait and see.

Wow! $800 is a lot! I just bought a pair of fancy dancy famous name prescription sunglasses with anti-reflective coatings both inside & out as well as some other features to help my poor, old eyes. They cost something like $389 and I about fell off my chair when I heard the price. Normally, I wouldn't spend that much for glasses that have no bifocal (which I use in my regular glasses) but I think it will help me when I'm driving.

I know! Actually, part of the cost (about $160) was for today's appointment/evaluation. So the glasses were actually closer to $630. The frame wasn't too expensive but each lens was around $225.

If they really improve DS's sight I don't mind too much (though it isn't a great time right now for a major expense like this). Just a bit worried in case they get lost/broken or he refuses to wear them. He was all excited at the store but already had a bit of a meltdown at home :001_huh:

Just wanted to post a quick update. We had our appointment with the optometrist today. He was very good with the kids and I do think we got a good evaluation. It seems DS is slightly farsighted and has a hint of astigmatism - apparently he does see letters etc. move constantly.

Anyway, we ended up ordering glasses. Hopefully, he will wear them AND I do hope they will help to improve his handwriting/spelling, especially as they are expensive (about 800$!). We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree, WOW! that is expensive! I just bought myself 3 pairs of glasses - 2 are bifocals with progressive lenses,one is as special pair of sunglasses. All total they were $900 - and this included the eye exam.

I know! Actually, part of the cost (about $160) was for today's appointment/evaluation. So the glasses were actually closer to $630. The frame wasn't too expensive but each lens was around $225.

If they really improve DS's sight I don't mind too much (though it isn't a great time right now for a major expense like this). Just a bit worried in case they get lost/broken or he refuses to wear them. He was all excited at the store but already had a bit of a meltdown at home :001_huh:

Would your dr give you a copy of the Rx do you can order a back up pair of plain glasses from zenni optical or some place similar?