Menu

Any k12 users?

Does anyone have any experience with the k12 program? DS14 is interested in enrolling in 9th grade for the fall. They offer some computer programming classes, specifically game design, that he is interested in pursuing as a possible career.

I've looked at the couse descriptions on the site and am satisfied with the curriculum choices for English, but the algebra course looks a little daunting in terms of resources.

Any feedback, any grade level, any subject, would be welcome.

I have a friend who put her child in K12 for this year and he hates it. Having been homeschooled for all but a year of school, he is hating the k12 program because it requires him to log 6 hours of time a day, I think he has to do it all on the computer. If he finished his work in 4 hours, he has to stay logged in and do stuff for another 2 hours. He was getting really frustrated with it one day that he finished really early.

I've used several of K12's K-8 courses and they are very thorough. They tend to include what I consider a lot of busywork, but as an independent user I can easily eliminate anything I think is too much or not a good assignment for my children.

As for their high school level offerings, I've used the text (produced by K12) that they use in their Modern World History course (or whatever it's called) and it is excellent. I've also used the text (also produced by K12) that they use for their American History course and I was extremely impressed. However, my son wasn't actually enrolled in these courses, so I don't know how good the courses themselves are.

My son did take their Game Design I class. He thought it was extremely "stupid" in his words. Apparently, he didn't learn anything (he is a technology junkie). Also, the teacher was much less than helpful. When my son lost points on a particular assignment and asked something specific about how to avoid having the same thing happen in the future, she never answered his emails even though he tried twice. I found that to be completely unacceptable, but I don't know if this was an anomaly. He refused to do the second course even though he got an A in the first one. I've read somewhere that the electives were produced by some company other than K12.