Menu

Ideas for 2nd grade reading list

parias1126

I'm looking for a reading list for my rising 2nd grader. I want to make an assigned reading list for this coming year week to week. I need to be organized so I'm not fumbling for books at his level when he finishes the prior book. Any and all book suggestions would be greatly appreciated! He is not a child that will just pick up a book and read so I need to have a "schedule" for him to look at each week.

What reading level do you need?

The Sonlight Readers packages are a good place to look (they even have a $5ish schedule). You can pick the reading level that meets your child. I've gotten some ideas from there for my son.

I'm with you on scheduling the readers. I did that this year, and it's working out beautifully. I purchased all the literature I plan to have him read, so it's all sitting there on my shelf, not having to be returned to a library ever. No worries about someone else putting a hold on the book when we're not done with it yet. Ah... so nice. :) We usually do about one chapter per day, unless the chapters are short, in which case I'll assign more. I looked through all the books and determined how much he could probably read in one day easily, and scheduled them that way.

What reading level do you need?

The Sonlight Readers packages are a good place to look (they even have a $5ish schedule). You can pick the reading level that meets your child. I've gotten some ideas from there for my son.

I'm with you on scheduling the readers. I did that this year, and it's working out beautifully. I purchased all the literature I plan to have him read, so it's all sitting there on my shelf, not having to be returned to a library ever. No worries about someone else putting a hold on the book when we're not done with it yet. Ah... so nice. :) We usually do about one chapter per day, unless the chapters are short, in which case I'll assign more. I looked through all the books and determined how much he could probably read in one day easily, and scheduled them that way.

This is exactly what I want to do. I'm glad you had a positive return with it. It makes me look even more forward to my idea.

:iagree:I bought a used set of SL reader 2 package and it is great. I really like the booklist I got the older version from 2002 some of the books have changed from current list . In the current list some of the books I have for 2nd are in 3rd grade list now. I don't know why. I think they are totally approppriate for 2nd. ex. Secret Valley, Question of Yams, Riding pony express, Viking Adventures they are all on old 2nd grade pack. My dd really loves these and has no problem reading them.

I was going to start you off with Amelia Bedelia and Frog and Toad (as those are what I am starting my 2nd grader off with right now! ) But I see those are already included in the SL list. I will be keeping that list for reference too.

I will be starting the Magic Treehouse series with mine soon too. I think she will be able to handle the short chapters, and my older dd so loved that series and the history she picked up.

In the current list some of the books I have for 2nd are in 3rd grade list now. I don't know why. I think they are totally approppriate for 2nd. ex. Secret Valley, Question of Yams, Riding pony express, Viking Adventures they are all on old 2nd grade pack. My dd really loves these and has no problem reading them.

They used to have multiple 2nd grade packages... I think there was a beginner, intermediate, and advanced? The advanced list was chapter books, which are now in the 3rd grade package.

Third grade package is here.

I feel like reading at a second grade level can mean a lot of different things. Some second graders are reading Frog and Toad and others are reading Magic Treehouse and still others are slightly ahead and reading longer chapter books - but all are totally within an expected range. Can you give some examples of what he's reading?

I think my main recommendation would be Cynthia Rylant - Poppleton, High Rise Private Eyes, Henry and Mudge and all the Nate the Greats, which are a slightly higher reading level, though not quite at what we think of as "chapter books" yet.