Menu

Help me find a curriculum for my 1st grader! :)

Guest Mom2Natalya

Guest Mom2Natalya

We started hs'ing my dd last year for k, but did not have to register her according to state laws (have to be registered at age 7), so I used the year to gauge how things would go.

We are registering her this year for first grade and I haven't had time to do anything! We've been moving and are now in the unpacking process, plus she has a 2 year old brother and I'm expecting a baby at the end of the year....

I'm looking for a secular curriculum, for an advanced/gifted learner, perhaps a box set, (preferably inexpensive! LOL!) to make it easier for us this year since we have a lot going on and it's our first REAL year.

My dd is a super fast learner (although slow at picking up reading, she inhales everything else in front of her) so last year we were working out of a lot of first grade level books, so I might need something more advanced, or something with 2nd grade items as well...

I'm sure a lot of people ask similar questions, so thanks for humoring me!

I'm desperate at this point, since I am registering through Homelife and they require the curriculum to register....

TIA!!!!

Here was our first grade lineup last year - it's all secular. This was also for a super fast learner.

You can check my sig for what we're doing this year or the blog for more detail.

If you want a boxed set, you can check out Moving Beyond the Page. Most likely she can handle the 6-8 level curriculum. It's not cheap, though. Otherwise, you'll probably have to piece things together. Unit studies are good because they are adjustable up or down. She might like Five in a Row or KONOS. You will need to add reading/phonics, math and handwriting at your child's level if you go that route.

I forgot, you were looking for secular (where's the smacking my forehead smiley?). KONOS won't work, but FIAR is fine. Ariel is asynchronous and everything we are currently using is secular and listed in my signature. GEMS is Great Explorations in Math and Science and WRTR is The Writing Road to Reading which covers spelling, handwriting, composition and grammar. I like GEMS because it usually isn't aimed at just one grade. She might like some of the unit studies at Intellego, too. They are grouped several grades at a time, K-2, 3-5 and so on.

This is our plan for my older first grader. Keep in mind this is our first year, so I am new!! Many of these were choices offered in TWTM.

Right Start B and Math Mammoth

Story of the World 1 with Activity Guide and added Bible Stories

All About Spelling 1 (also finishing up Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading)

First Language Lessons 1

Writing with Ease 1

Geography- Evan Moore. We will only do this once or twice a week, she thinks maps are fun.

Science (haven't picked one yet, I can't decide) Nancy Larson would be easy to use, but expensive.

Atelier Art Level 1, plus our own art ideas!

Will also be adding our own Nature and Classical music studies (fancy words for going for walks and listening to music!!). We might also add in Spanish after we see how everything else goes!! She will get a tiny bit of Spanish at a twice a month co-op.

Hope that helps!

Is she 7yo then?

I have my 7yo doing the following (I consider him as 2nd grade, though - and he was borderline 3rd but hadn't had experience in certain things so I dropped down) (PS - we are definitely secular!!):

Writing with ease (WWE) - level 2

All About Spelling (AAS) - level 3

Right Start Math (RS) - level B

Math Mammoth (MM) - Level 1a/b & Level 2a/b (we are rushing to finish 1 so we can move into 2! - we use this as a supplement, because I LOVE LOVE the teaching in RS but it doesn't have the worksheets - this fits pretty well)

Shurley English (SE) - level 1 (but probably should have gone with Level 2 - I wanted my next to be able to start this next year, though)

Usborne Encyclopedia of the World - I use this for History for both kids - we just do readings in it, but they REALLY enjoy it and always want to take extra time to read more. Later I plan to add some crafty things!

Rosetta Stone Spanish - both kids (and me!!)

Handwriting without Tears (HWOT) - cursive, because he really wanted to & I'd rather write in it anyhow.

What your 2nd grader needs to know - just to make sure everything is covered!

Real Science 4 Kids - haven't started it, but I should get it in this week

Young Scientists Club - experiments, plus I bought the living books to match (he's very sciency!!)

Harcourt Health & Fitness - both

A few other odds & ends!!!

The 1st grader (5yo) does most of the same things at the lower levels - WWE1, AAS1, RS A, MM 1a/b, WY1st grader needs to know. He doesn't do a separate science right now - he'd rather do art! :)

Wow - I'm tired just listing that. Occasionally I think it would have been SO NICE to go with a boxed curriculum, but I am entirely too picky & love being able to tailor-make my curriculum to match MY kids! :) Then, if we don't like it we can drop it easily & change it up. We went through several math programs before finding the best fit, and also a science program. I also wavered for ages on history.

Currently, I am totally loving the above and will likely stick with the next level up for next year (although I'll probably skip to Level 3 on SE, as I've heard it is very repetitive in between). At some point I will likely change out RS to Saxon Math (but the lower grade levels I've heard aren't as nice as upper on that). We'll have to see on History and Science - I really want these to be the top 2 subjects that the kids WANT to do & learn, so I'm trying to keep it as deep as they want it (surprisingly deep!) and as casual & fun as I can.

Geography- Evan Moore. We will only do this once or twice a week, she thinks maps are fun.

Atelier Art Level 1, plus our own art ideas!

Sounds like we are doing a lot of the same stuff!! :) How do your kids like the Atelier Art? Is it actual lessons in lines/designs/etc or is it more like plans to do projects? I am so NOT arty, but my 5yo has always enjoyed it - I'd like to get him something focused on his likes, but haven't really looked into it much :) I actually had to schedule in a monthly "specific thing" for art (sculptures, bridge building, etc) just so I wouldn't keep falling back on "here, color this". Urgh!

Here is our plan for our (sort of) advanced first grader ;)

Math Mammoth 2 (finishing up 1B in August)

First Language Lessons 1 (grammar)

Writing with Ease 1 (writing)

Handwriting without tears 1

All About Spelling 1 (will probably finish this pretty quickly and go into AAS 2)

Abeka Phonics 1 (will finish in the Fall, and then just use AAS and ETC 4-6 for review)

Elemental Science

SOTW Ancients w/AG

I guess I will just add my first grader's curriculum to the list. Here is what we are doing:

*Classical Conversations Foundations (at home, mainly for History and Latin; it is Christian)

*Singapore Math 2A&B

*Read Science for Kids - Chemistry and Biology Pre-Level 1

*SOTW Ancients may do some of the activities

*What You First Grader Needs to Know (as mentioned by a PP, to make sure everything is covered; but mainly for Literature selections! These books have a great variety of poetry, fables, tall tales, etc. Plus mini history lessons)

*Shurley English Level 1

*Core Curriculum of Basic Skills ($8 workbook I picked up from Sam's Club) we are using it for the Phonics work pages and the reading comprehension. Also as supplement practice for math and English.

*Writing Road to Reading (for spelling rules and phonics work)

*Spelling Plus and the corresponding Dictation book

*I am making my own copywork notebook pages of Memory work, Bible verses, and poetry for What Your First Grader Needs to Know

It seems like a lot, but we are not doing all of the CC stuff. I am using the memory work and the history timeline, we will not be doing any of the music lessons and we may do a few experiments if we need a change of pace.

For an advanced kid, I would NOT use a box, myself. The kids move too fast in some areas & slower in others, and you end up chucking the whole box. Repeatedly. :glare:

For my 1st+ girl, I'm using:

Logic (Primarily Logic at the moment, then I have a Critical Thinking Co book next)

Math (Singapore 1A/B, going through the Intensive Practice book only as the workbook is too slow for her right now, may add Challenging Word Problems)

Science (BFSU plus a TON of supplements--Max Axiom, Abeka, experiments, microscope, dissection, nature walks, etc)

Writing (a mix of HWoT K, my own copywork, and English for the Thoughtful Child)

Reading (just reading, lol, plus some All About Spelling and ETC)

ASL (Signing Time, books)

Spanish (varies, includes movies she knows watched in Spanish)

We don't really work on history yet. We did a bit of geography on the states, plus rabbit trails (Japan where my brother is on a mission, Amazon River basin when she learned about piranhas, etc).

Guest Mom2Natalya

Thanks everyone for the input! It is much appreciated. :)

My dd will be 6 next week, and we mostly did a lot of our own stuff last year, used the "What your K needs to know" as a base and pulled together other things with it.

So I'm really starting from scratch! I have really liked everything we've used of the WTM, so I might use a lot of her recommendations... it's a lot to figure out, that's for sure. My husband, who is an over-the-road truck driver, tells me "well it's a good thing you like doing things like that". um, huh? lol. I'm overwhelemed! :)

But getting there...

This is what I am planning to use... subject to change of course!

LA:

Phonics and spelling- Webster's Speller (FREE! See http://www.thephonicspage.org for more great info), using the tiles from All About Spelling. We'll move into How to Teach Spelling after Webster's, or we'll purchase some of the "vintage" spellers/readers.

Grammar- I'm building my own grammar using a general grammar reference book, so this is cheap, too. I'll do the Charlotte Mason style dictations, narrations, and copywork using....

Handwriting- Getty Dubay italics and Startwrite software to make copywork pages

Writing- Probably Writing With Ease 1 (cheap), but I plan to purchase the IEW how to teach writing seminar for my own education (expensive)

French- We are a bilingual family, so I'll probably do a few of the above activities each week in my husband's language.

Read alouds- Classic Children's Literature + picture books related to history study

Math:

Miquon with Cuisinaire rods (cheap IMO) and Right Start Games and Abacus workbook (expensive)

Science

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (Cheap!) and nature walks with a nature journal (cheap/free)

History

Probably Story of the World + activity guide and wall time line. History is my weakest subject, so I will require hand holding here!

Art

I really want Atelier, but it's pricey!!! I will definitely use Drawing with Children (cheap) because I see sketching to be a skill, esp for science and for training the eye.

We listen to classical music every day, as well as traditional children's songs in English and French.

I will do picture study as described by Charlotte Mason. not sure yet if I will put this together myself, or order kits for it.

I'd love piano lessons, but again, the price tag is a bit high.

Memory work

Outside of the subject areas above, I also want to add poetry memorizaion (either home-made curriculum or IEW's poetry memorization kit) and the Baltimore Catechism.

This ends up sounding like a lot, but I think most of the lessons will be very short, and I'll probably alternate history and science and more involved art lessons.

For an advanced kid, I would NOT use a box, myself. The kids move too fast in some areas & slower in others, and you end up chucking the whole box. Repeatedly. :glare:

:iagree:

For my first grader last year, I used Math Mammoth, First Language Lessons (we blew through 1 and went into 2, as 1 was too slow/easy for him), Writing With Ease, All About Spelling, Story of the World. My science ended up being interest-led (library), though we're using a curriculum this year (definitely not secular, so you wouldn't be interested ;)). I used Handwriting Without Tears font in Startwrite to make copywork.

Basically, the WTM recs are usually pretty decent. Give them a try, and then change what you don't like. :) We mainly went a different route in spelling, since DS wants to know "why", and Spelling Workout wasn't going to give that to the extent that he needed (I think SWO assumes you've done Plaid Phonics, and DS hadn't done any phonics except the first semester of first grade where they used SSRW).

Anyway, a package deal is going to usually be all one grade level, and you're already experiencing asynchronous development, so I suggest you don't bother trying to get a package. It's easy enough to pick the materials that meet your kid where she's at. The number on the book doesn't have to match the grade level. It just needs to match what the kid is ready for. :)