Menu

help me with my 4th & 8th graders Reading lists

Koerarmoca

Both My older girls reading levels surpass their maturity levels so I have a hard time selecting books for them. I want them both to read 25 books this school year. I am making a list of the books in which I will require them to read and I want to make a list of books that they can also pick and choose from. I bought them both a new book today to get us started.

For my 8th grader To kill a Mocking Bird

For my 4th grader My Side of the Mountain

I am going to choose a Few from AO list but I am really stumped as to what else I want them to read. So what are your 4th & 8th grade girls reading this year?

What history and science are your girls going to do this year? My 8th grader is doing American History this year so she is going to do Excellence in Lit's American Literature. The bolded books are the primary selections. She will do all of those and as many honors books as we can get in. She is also going to take an online English class that has four required books I will list at the end.

HTH!

American Lit

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson

Rip Van Winkle

Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Life of George Washington

Evangeline

Song of Hiawatha

Last of the Mohicans

Pioneers

House of Seven Gables

Scarlet Letter

Walden

Moby Dick

Billy Budd

Huckleberry Finn

Tom Sawyer

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

House of Mirth

Age of Innocence

Daisy Miller

Great Gatsby

My Antonia

Old Man and the Sea

A Moveable Feast

Online English class

Animal Farm

Romeo and Juliet

Red Badge of Courage

Fahrenheit 451

We are doing a combo of SOTW1 & MOH 1 I think... still unpurchased at this time. My girls have had more "social studies" than actual history in pvt school so I want to start at the beginning of time so to speak.

Have you looked at the books that SL Core 6 (or whatever level Core 6 is now) uses for read alouds and readers? This SL core using SOTW I and II as the spine.

My 4th grader (boy) will be using the new MCT lit. trilogy to start. I am not sure how that will go, as he has already heard Alice and Peter Pan read aloud or on audio a few times. We'll probably spend more time on Wind in the Willows.

Most of the others on my list are found on the AO year 4 and 5 lists, as well as a few VP choices.

What history and science are your girls going to do this year? My 8th grader is doing American History this year so she is going to do Excellence in Lit's American Literature. The bolded books are the primary selections. She will do all of those and as many honors books as we can get in. She is also going to take an online English class that has four required books I will list at the end.

HTH!

American Lit

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson

Rip Van Winkle

Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Life of George Washington

Evangeline

Song of Hiawatha

Last of the Mohicans

Pioneers

House of Seven Gables

Scarlet Letter

Walden

Moby Dick

Billy Budd

Huckleberry Finn

Tom Sawyer

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

House of Mirth

Age of Innocence

Daisy Miller

Great Gatsby

My Antonia

Old Man and the Sea

A Moveable Feast

Online English class

Animal Farm

Romeo and Juliet

Red Badge of Courage

Fahrenheit 451

The upper list is not typical for most 8th graders. As a matter of fact, I think my children would have mutinied if I had given them many of those books to read as an 8th grader. It was all I could do to force them to read Moby Dick as 10th or 11th graders. :lol: The list is more typical of high school American lit which is typically either a 10th or 11th grade course. Just letting others not to :eek: if their 8th graders aren't ready for those types of titles. (or even if they are capable that they have no interest in those types of works)

Someone linked these lists the other day, and they're great. Perfect for very strong readers, but still appropriate to the age-grades listed: http://mensaforkids.com/school_template.cfm?showPage=school_readeraward.cfm (Scroll down for links for the 4-6 list and the 7/8 list.)

Ooooooh, thank you for the link. My kids love many of those titles. Wizard of Earth Sea is a great one from the 7/8 list.