Menu

Science Rich Environment/Science Lab

DH and I converting half of our basement into an art studio area for Little Librarian and her 7 yo cousin that is over a lot. It's going to have a table that's sturdy and big and industructable. I was thinking about also turning this into a science lab since it'll be a room that we can get messy. What would you want to include in a science lab if you were going to make one? I've heard so much about a "language rich environment" that I'd like to create a "science rich" one but I don't know exactly how to go about it.

Thanks!

First I suggest you hop over to the current 4H thread and see the vast variety of project available. :001_smile: even if you do not join 4H the project books are very inexpensive (around $3.50) and are available online at 4H mall to members and nonmembers.

Now after that brief advertisement, :lol:

Here is a list of items you might consider:

magnets

prisms

wire, batteries, flashlight bulbs, etc

vinegar and baking soda

lots of terrariums/aquariums/butterfly cages etc (let them catch, study and release) Keep a shelf of field manuals - as they find a bug, lizard, etc they can check if off in the books.

I'm really just bumping because I think this is a great topic and I'd love to hear more ideas!

Just a couple- a nature area, where they could gather interesting items outside to display- rocks, seeds, etc.

A camera (they have some cheap, durable kid ones) to take pictures of bugs, plants, etc.

A microscope and slide supplies.

In addition to the ideas already mentioned,could you attach a measuring tape to the table/work surface to make it easier for them to measure specimens?

Magnifying glass?

Snap circuits?

Flower press?

Mineral specimens to examine w/ the magnifying glass?

Sunprint paper (if you are okay with storing things to use outside)

Tweezers?

Access to recyclables for "invention" materials? (depends on your storage space, tolerance for mess, etc. obviously!)

Blank notebooks for field notes, garden journal, etc?

eta: My oldest son is 7 and enjoys things like the Thames and Kosmos kits. Around the holidays Amazon sometimes has great deals on stuff like this.

Edited by Momof3littles