Menu

sports moms - help with dinner ideas!

Both girls are swimming this year... right now we're in the short summer season. They're at the pool 5 nights/week... I drop them both off at 4:30, pick up the younger at 6:30 and the older stays until 8.

WHAT do I do about dinner? :001_huh:

No other little ones at home to worry about - just the four of us. Actually, in the summer my hubby travels a lot, so it's just me doing the cooking, driving and eating most nights. I need to come up with some sort of a meal plan or I'm lost! Give me some ideas on crock pot stuff, make ahead meals, cold stuff, anything that will make my life easier for the next 6 weeks (and beyond).

TIA!

If you don't like late dinners I'd eat a meal about 3. Since it's summer we are having lots of salads with a serving of protien on top (beans, chickpeas, cooked chopped chicken breast, other meat, sometimes cheese too). You can prechop your ingredients in the morning and put it together when you are ready to eat. It's easy to individualize to taste (based on who hates chick peas). Then, I'd have snack for after practice.

dance mom here. they both dance 5 nights a week.

we have our main meal mid-day, a light snack at 4pm before dance, and then a light snack after dance at 8pm.... the first snack is often protein, the second one often fruit/yoghurt, etc.... breakfast is fairly substantial as well.

hth,

ann

Another swim mom, here. Our summer swim team is a bit different as practice is in the morning. We have an early dinner around 4pm (3 if it is a meet night and we have to be at the pool by 5:30). Then I pack snacks. Usually fruit, yogurt, and cut up veggies. For after the meet I usually have a portable sweet treat such as cookies.

For nights when we were on the go all day and no time to sit down for an early dinner I have my own the go meals ready:

Hard boiled eggs

Burritos

Sandwiches/Panini

Pasta

Pancakes/Waffles

I try to always keep a big salad and/or cut up veggies in the fridge.

I have found for me that prep work is the key. I need to do the advance planning and the prep work so that I can just grab and go.