Menu

BFSU question

I am doing RSO Earth and Space this year and we have really enjoyed it. However, I am going to try and follow a unit study/CM approach for early elementary (and maybe forever). Don't worry, I am still going to teach Latin and logic so hopefully I am still welcome here! :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering how BFSU would be able to fit into unit studies. I am thinking that since you can pick which order to do things in, it might work out really well. I love that it gives kids a solid scientific foundation and that it is so flexible. I would love to hear your comments!!! Thanks!

I haven't used it yet, but I've gone through the book and made notes of other resources that would be fun to use, since I'm planning to go through twice and don't want to bore them. I would say that unit studies would fit into BFSU easier than BFSU would fit into unit studies.

Rosie

It's not impossible, but I'm not sure how well it lends itself to a unit study type format. Although one can pick what to do next, there is a suggested order (in the sense that some topics are considered prerequisites for others).

:iagree:

One strength of BFSU is also to study multiple threads at a time to see the interconnectedness unfold between Life Science, Earth Science, and Physical Science. If you do a unit study you may miss out on that.

That said, I did 6- week units a la CM on Birds, Trees, Insects, Rocks and Minerals.. However, I did these separately from BFSU. When we finished our unit, we studied BFSU separately. If there were any crossover topics, we just reviewed.

How often do you do lessons from BFSU? I don't mind doing it a couple of times a week to just get an overall science feel and doing other science as a part of our unit studies. I really like how I think BFSU is set up, but it is so hard to tell without having the book in my hands and really looking through it! How much preparation goes into BFSU? I know there are flow charts about which lessons to do, but do you need a lot of materials or preparation?

It's not impossible, but I'm not sure how well it lends itself to a unit study type format. Although one can pick what to do next, there is a suggested order (in the sense that some topics are considered prerequisites for others). Then again I think many of the topics are elementary enough that you could pick and choose.

I just think it would be kind of a pain to wade through BFSU and create a unit study out of it.

It really is designed to intermix the four strands of science. Separating them out wouldn't work very well.

You do need lots of books and some materials for the activities. I had to plan it ahead of time so i could get what was needed and request the books from the library. It was too much prep work for me when I had a newborn.

How much preparation goes into BFSU? I know there are flow charts about which lessons to do, but do you need a lot of materials or preparation?

I guess it depends how much you want to supplement. There have been a few reviews by scientists on the yahoo group saying it is a perfectly good program as is, without any supplements. Of course, being homeschoolers, we are unlikely to stick to the straight and narrow like that. I couldn't possibly resist a book called "Geology Rocks!"

Next year I'm intending to go through and collect up as many of the materials as I can and put them in plastic pockets marked with the lesson number, and a shopping list of the things I couldn't acquire. I figure that'll make it easier when we get started.

:)

Rosie