Menu

Max Axiom

Dolphin

Has anyone used these? I am aware that they have some evolution bits to it, and I am fine with that (I just don't want to have this turn to a young/old earth thread)

Specifically I am thinking about the Physics ones for a 4th grader. Do you use them as your curriculum, a supplement?

Background, we are going into our 2nd year of homeschool, I am trying to make everything easier. From what I understand, at this young age it is important for them to enjoy science, and get some understanding of it. Would reading the Max Axiom books on his own, with a few experiments thrown in be ok for 4th grade?

Thanks,

Nicole

We use them as a supplement. At first we used what our library had, and then I bought a bunch off of halfpricebooks and wow, there are a lot more than I thought :lol:. I do not think that any one living book on a subject would be sufficient, no matter what grade, IMO. I think the Max Axiom books are great and thorough, but I would still read several others from the library along with an experiment or three to call it sufficient.

We have used them the last two years as a supplement. They are a lot of fun, but there simply is not enough there to use as your main science. We read them after the main lesson of the day when we still had 20-30 minutes left I wanted to fill. But, these and the Bill Nye DVDs are our main supplements, they are a lot of fun!

I bought a couple, my kids liked them, so I bought more. I just leave them around for the kids to read for fun -- not as part of our formal science lessons. It would probably make me insane to try, since comic books just make my head hurt. ;) But the kids (especially ds) really enjoyed them and did seem to pick up some good information.

I was actually thinking of getting these too...for my son. He's a struggling reader and I figured I need to get him to read *something*...it might as well be something he might enjoy (comic book format) yet learn something at the same time. I thought about getting them here. Is this a good price?? Seems expensive....but it's for 15 of the 18 titles.

I was actually thinking of getting these too...for my son. He's a struggling reader and I figured I need to get him to read *something*...it might as well be something he might enjoy (comic book format) yet learn something at the same time. I thought about getting them here. Is this a good price?? Seems expensive....but it's for 15 of the 18 titles.

Pretty good for 15, yes.

I recommend using the Max Axiom books with the Science Wiz kits. That would make a complete curriculum.

I have to regretfully disagree. We :001_wub: Max Axiom and also the Science Wiz kits, but there's just not enough to them to make up a complete science curriculum, especially for a 4th grader.

Singapore's My Pals are Here 5/6 would be a good "spine" to use along side Max Axiom. It covers life science too but the books are so inexpensive and you can always do those the following year like we are.

I have to regretfully disagree. We :001_wub: Max Axiom and also the Science Wiz kits, but there's just not enough to them to make up a complete science curriculum, especially for a 4th grader.

Singapore's My Pals are Here 5/6 would be a good "spine" to use along side Max Axiom. It covers life science too but the books are so inexpensive and you can always do those the following year like we are.

Can you tell me more about this? I have never even heard of this one.

That is where I am looking too. I LOVE my timberdoodle catalog!

Can you tell me more about this? I have never even heard of this one.

Here is the description from Rainbow Resource. Here is what CBD has to say about the Interactions textbook.

Here is a WTM forum thread on MPH with links to other threads.

The textbook and activity book are fairly light, but the Higher Order Thinking Skills book (there is one that covers all the books) kicks up the challenge level a lot. My bright K5er could mostly follow along with his big sister in the text & activity book this past year but not the HOTS. I did not get the TM as I heard it was geared towards classroom use and didn't really feel like I needed it.

The books have mixed physical and life science but I found it easy enough to do the former last year and the latter this upcoming year.