Menu

A year of Geography the WTM way??

So, we're burned out on history and in it's place I would like to do a year of world geography/cultures for next year. I will have an 8th, 7th, 6th, 2nd and 3 newly adopted kids (ages 8,6, 3) who are still learning English..

BUT, I want to do it similar to how we did WTM history last year- outlining a spine, lots of good literature, taking notes from readings and then researching and writing reports. If I could add in a historical element with the geo that would be fine too. (I am considering the Oxford Atlas of World History that Classical Conversations uses but it looks challenging!) I would love to find some kind of critical thinking questions to go along with it to make it Logic level work, but haven't found anything. Anyone know of something like that?

I've looked at MFW ECC and Sonlight's Eastern Hemisphere and don't want either. Sonlight is "closer" to what I want (love the missions focus) but it still feels like more fluff than I want. And it's expensive!

Soooo, anyone want to give me any thoughts? Anyone actually done this the WTM way? Any spines to recommend? My biggest concern is making this rigorous enough for my 8th and 7th graders as they are definitely in the Logic level...

Okay, this is more of a textbook answer, but I think it has merit. We are going to use Runkle's Welcome to the Wonderful World of Geography next year. I'm suggesting this because it's designed for older students that are 6th grade through high school, but what if you used it as a spine for your older students and brought the younger ones in at a simpler level? The Activity Book has supplemental information in it, but from what I can see it looks excellent. Runkle's does not include cultural studies, but you could easily supplement with the Internet and library, and perhaps even add some lapbooks for the younger, hands-on students in your group as you study each region/country, especially in the activity book.

The other suggestion would be to go with the Trail Guide to World Geography or the Trail Guide to U.S. Geography through the same publishing company. There are multi-level lessons included with the course, and lapbook kits available as well.

Both of these options are well organized, inexpensive and would be a great supplement for a year off of history. I believe that even with the Classical method, a year in a textbook for one subject is totally all right. We don't have to be rigid in order to give our children what they need.

Just my thoughts fwiw.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I plan on using The Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia for a geography spine for the next 2 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-Geography-Encyclopedia-Encyclopedias/dp/0753455919/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309804867&sr=8-1

I'm still working out how I want it to be used. We are just getting into outlining with my S/N son, and I think it could be the perfect book to use for outlining. I also was thinking of buying some pre-made geography notebooking pages and having him fill those out. I may end up doing a combination of both. I plan on adding a mapping component by using outline maps I have already, or gathering them online. I may purchase maps, but I would prefer not to. For the cultural aspect, I've been looking at DK's How People Live.

http://www.amazon.com/How-People-Live-Dena-Freeman/dp/0789498677/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I also have been looking at some short story collections from around the world, but the links are saved on my other computer.

So far I am scheduling it for 3 days a week, about 30 minutes/day. The first day will be reading the relevant section of KGE and either outlining or filling out a notebooking page, the second day will be mapwork, and the third day will be reading a short story if applicable, or finishing any incomplete work.

We are also doing history, but we don't do any mapwork anymore. We just look at whatever maps we come across, discuss, and move on. He really loves history, so I try not to make it to much work. We basically read from our encyclopedia, dig deeper if interested, and read some related lit about the time period occasionally. We were doing TOG, and while we loved it, he was definitely getting burned out. History is simple to keep his love of it alive.:001_smile:

I was just wondering this same thing. I'm going to use SOTW 4 with my oldest who will be in 4th grade, but want to do geography/culture study with all of my children - debating between the world or just the 50 states (since we're finally studying our own country now).

Hikin Mama

What are your plans for now??I'd love to get your thoughts....

Right now I am considering using Oxford's Atlas of World history. I would divide our year into 6 parts/continents (no need for a long time on Antarctica). Then I would choose one spread a week from the Atlas to outline. It is definitely going to challenge her reading skills but I think she might be ok. Then she can choose one aspect of that topic (or from another spread if she likes it better) to do some more research on (library, world book, home bookshelves). She can then write a 3 paragraph paper on it. I'm thinking that outlining should be 1-2 times in the week, but she can take as long as 2 weeks before her paper is due. I want her to have enough time to delve deeply into a topic if she's interested. We're also doing SICC B so she has other writing she'll be doing..

My friend was suggesting thinking of a weekly dialectic level question that would help her make connections based off the historical element, but I haven't moved to the dialectic stage myself so unless I can find some product out there that will give the questions to me, it is going to be very hard. Maybe my classically schooled daughter will do a better job than her ole mom at making the connections on her own...LOL!

Then I'm going to just throw tons of literature at her- using MFW ECC and Sonlight EH's suggestions.

I don't know... all this is such scary territory for me. I've always used a packaged curriculum so I don't know if this is 8th grade level work. Is it enough? Will these skills prepare her for high school while still allowing us to have a fun last year of middle school? Also I need it to be an easy (independent) year because of all the changes that 3 new kids are bringing...

HSmom2one,

About Runkles.....Do you know if there are samples anywere else online? All I see is a table of contents and that isn't helping me figure out the format...

I like that it has critical thinking questions...that is where I am lacking..

Tiffany

Here is a link to the student text on the Christian Book Dist. (CBD) website. Click on "Additional Views" and you'll get a pop up with views of several pages. And here is a link to the same for the Student Activity book.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Lucinda