Menu

Any ideas on how to get the "old smell" out of books?

I'm not talking about masking the smell. I'm extremely sensitive to chemicals, so using fragrances isn't an option (I'm also allergic to mold :rolleyes:). I want something that will basically kill the mold spores that cause the odor. The books are outside in the sun right now, and I have a few other ideas I am going to try, but I was hoping that some of you might have some suggestions.

I would try some baking soda in a sealed bag with the book.

My usual remedy (that always works) is a stick of Nag Champa incense in a sealed bag for 3-4 days, but you said no chemicals.

My first thought was charcoal but I worry about it getting on the books.

Good luck!

But the old book scent is part of having old books...:D The scent of history, of the years passing...:001_smile:

LOL. If I were just leaving them on the shelf to look pretty, then that might work; but since ds and I will be using these books for school in the upcoming year, and I'm allergic to mold (and I think ds is as well), it might not work out so well. :tongue_smilie:

Kalah, baking soda is on my list to try. Do you know what kind of charcoal to use and where to buy it?

Findley, I'm also allergic to vinegar :o, but I could probably get dh to do it for me. How would you use it?

I would think you could just spray some on a rag and wipe the book with it. I haven't actually tried it myself, although I keep meaning to. :001_unsure: Sorry I am not more help.

Edited by Findley2

I don't know how helpful this would be but I have read the following tip online:

You will need two plastic tubs and some kitty litter. You put about an inch of litter into a large-ish tub that has a lid that snaps on. You then put the book, just lay it closed, in the smaller tub. Do not put a lid on the smaller tub that holds the book. Put the small tub inside the larger tub, just sitting it on top of the litter. Put the lid on the larger tub and let sit for about a month.

One of the people who posted on the blog also suggested that the same treatment could be used using newspapers (put some between the leaves of the book and also in the box/tub).

This sounds like it would get rid of the smell, but I don't know about the mold part of it. :confused:

Hope you find something that works. The sun idea sounds like your best shot to me. ;)

I've bought books that had a musty/moldy smell and have never had much luck removing the odors.

Here are some 'remedies' that I've heard of:

Wrap a book and then put it in the freezer.

Put the book in sunlight for a brief time (not longer than one hour). Then stand the book upright so that air can circulate between all the pages.

Put the book in a plastic container that contains silica gel. Put the cover on and let it sit in there for several days. This is supposed to remove any moisture which could be causing the smell.

Good luck!