Menu

Live online classes with Adam & Missy Andrews

... of "Teaching the Classics."

I've posted about these before -- my friend has organized live, online Socratic discussions of great literature, led by the Andrewses. NO busywork; just read the books, and show up for the discussion. Not suited for East Coast people, b/c Adam & Missy live on the West Coast and the discussions are in the evening our time.

http://www.centerforlit.com/Courses/OL.aspx

Just posting to get the word out. Adam is now listing these courses at his website

http://www.centerforlit.com/Default.aspx

~Laura

ETA: I hope this isn't considered an "ad" - I don't want to do anything illegal! If it's not OK, pm me and I'll ask for deletion ...

Edited by Laura in CA
?

Laura,

I would love to sign my daughter up for several of these courses -- even though we're in the Eastern time zone. That's actually a better time frame for us anyway.

I am wondering if one needs to register for each discussion now because they fill up, or wait until closer to the time period to register. Also, my daughter is doing all high school level work this year (8th grade) and I am wondering if it is acceptable for me to pick and choose some HS level discussions and some JH level discussions.

Thanks,

Angie

I'm glad there is so much interest! My son did the high-school lit discussion class last year and really enjoyed it. Adam and Missy's approach enhances enjoyment of the books, instead of killing it, like so many (regular) high-school English classes do ...

But please note that registration is open now and the classes *do* fill up. Last year's classes (there were two high-school sections and I think one junior-high section) filled up, except for one spot. I think the class size is kept pretty small (15-20?) to facilitate discussion. Adam and Missy love to hear what the kids have to say.

Laura,

I would love to sign my daughter up for several of these courses -- even though we're in the Eastern time zone. That's actually a better time frame for us anyway.

I am wondering if one needs to register for each discussion now because they fill up, or wait until closer to the time period to register. Also, my daughter is doing all high school level work this year (8th grade) and I am wondering if it is acceptable for me to pick and choose some HS level discussions and some JH level discussions.

Thanks,

Angie

That's great, Angie! (I was thinking the classes *would* work for folks on the East Coast if they are night owls :001_smile: -- & the classes shouldn't interfere with evening sports, dance, music, church, etc. events, since they start at 9:30 pm EST! -- whereas some of us on the West Coast do have conflicts ...)

I don't know about picking and choosing ... my guess is that's not offered, at least if the classes look like they are going to fill up. But you can email my friend who organizes these classes, Karen. Her contact info is on this page:

http://www.oaopp.com/contact

She will get back to you very soon - she's very good about that.

~Laura

just a bump for folks who were busy over the weekend :001_smile:

oh, and an FYI -- Karen says they have raised the class limit, since a lot of kids preferred to use the chat box instead of the microphone. Adam will monitor the chat box while Missy leads the discussion, or vice versa.