Menu

We started Henle with my rising 4th grader yesterday.....

Halcyon

As I mentioned in a previous post, we're going to try Henle for a week, and then LfCA for a week, and then decide which we'll use next year.

Re the first day...we covered Day 1 and Day2 as outlined in the MP Guide...the 2nd day of each week is probably the most meaty, so we may have bitten off more than we could chew, but DS did complete it, and surprised me by remembering so much from GSWL. It is definitely more challenging than GSWL, but that's no surprise.

I know there were those who were curious about using Henle with such a young child, so I will post updates as we go.

Edited by Halcyon

And it went great! I had an opportunity to do this locally in a class where my older one did the second Helne Guide in a separate class, and I called "enrichment" but she did so well that she's going to do the second Memoria Henle Guide for 6th grade.

I'll note that she came in with a strong grammar base, and I've worked through Helne I myself. That said, it went far better than I expected!

I haven't seen the MP guides - I have the MODG ones - and I find that dd balks if I try to get too much done in one day, in terms of the exercises. She complains a lot less when I chop it in half :lol: in terms of what I assign that day, and then leave the rest for the following day, but of course we move along much more slowly when we do that. (That's fine, we're in no hurry. But we got a slow start in January when we started getting our feet wet with hs-ng, and now it's the summer, so our schedule is minimal.) However, I don't want to move at a snail's pace either; we're doing a little more than the Essential exercises, but certainly nowhere near all the exercise sections. Kind of like math, I assign as much as I think it will take for mastery and adequate review :tongue_smilie: although review, for the most part, is built into translating.

Sounds like it's going well! I think you can see what a difference starting with GSWL under his belt makes. I look forward to hearing your updates! (at this rate, you'll pass us soon :lol:)

I haven't seen the MP guides - I have the MODG ones - and I find that dd balks if I try to get too much done in one day, in terms of the exercises. She complains a lot less when I chop it in half :lol: in terms of what I assign that day, and then leave the rest for the following day, but of course we move along much more slowly when we do that. (That's fine, we're in no hurry. But we got a slow start in January when we started getting our feet wet with hs-ng, and now it's the summer, so our schedule is minimal.) However, I don't want to move at a snail's pace either; we're doing a little more than the Essential exercises, but certainly nowhere near all the exercise sections. Kind of like math, I assign as much as I think it will take for mastery and adequate review :tongue_smilie: although review, for the most part, is built into translating.

Sounds like it's going well! I think you can see what a difference starting with GSWL under his belt makes. I look forward to hearing your updates! (at this rate, you'll pass us soon :lol:)

I have no problem slowing down (which I am quite sure we will!) if DS wants to. Today he completed 30 questions of Exercise 2 without complaint, although I do think, in terms of sheer writing for an 8 year old, it was a LOT. I offered to write his answers, but he refused, so it took about an hour to complete the entire lesson.

My concern is that when he hits lessons that are brand-new material, he'll freak. :tongue_smilie:

Just to continue my update for those who are interested (and I will be posting all this on my blog this evening).

We finished our first week of Henle yesterday,and both of us liked it very much. Very sequential, orderly, and understandable. Today, we began LfC but DS was dismayed by the amount of "chit chat" in the text, and asked almost immediately if we could return to Henle. We spent about 20 more minutes on LfC; the order in which it presented information was confusing to me. Instead of presenting the cases and their uses, as Henle does, it presented the present, infinitive, perfect and passive participle. I am sure this works, it's just not what we were expecting or what we're used to. Also, with the Grammar section there is a lot of fill-in-the-blank, whereas with Henle, the MP guide has you create index cards with the grammar rules, which you're then expected to memorize. Just a different approach, I think.

Anyway, we decided that we're going to keep using Henle for another week or two, until we begin to get into brand-new terrain. At that point, we'll re-evaluate as to whether we'll stick with it. I will hold onto LfC for now, just in case.

Anyway, we decided that we're going to keep using Henle for another week or two, until we begin to get into brand-new terrain. At that point, we'll re-evaluate as to whether we'll stick with it. I will hold onto LfC for now, just in case.

When you start the third declension, just go slowly. Sometimes it takes a bit to sink in. Keep going even when it seems hard. There were a couple days in there that felt like dd needed to get over a hump (lex vs pars). You can keep going forward, and then in a few days, review anything that was particularly difficult. I'm not sure this makes any sense, but dd needs to review things from time to time, and it seems easier for her to go back to something from a week or two ago - suddenly it doesn't seem as hard as it did initially. Keeping a notebook of rules and such is a good idea. And keep working on learning the endings (I still have dd fill in a blank chart for me at the start of each lesson - just takes her a minute or two).

I have a question, doesn't First Form just cover the beginning part of Henle in a format that is easier for 4th-5th graders?

Clearly, I have this planned way too far ahead, but it was my understanding that First Form now replaced the recommendation to move directly into Henle with early Logic-stagers.

I'm wanting to go the same direction when we hit that age, so should I be thinking Henle or First Form?

I have a question, doesn't First Form just cover the beginning part of Henle in a format that is easier for 4th-5th graders?

Clearly, I have this planned way too far ahead, but it was my understanding that First Form now replaced the recommendation to move directly into Henle with early Logic-stagers.

I'm wanting to go the same direction when we hit that age, so should I be thinking Henle or First Form?

I really am not sure of the answer, but wanted to bump your post so perhaps someone can answer.

One plus for me with Henle (assuming we continue with it and don't jump ship to LfC) is that we will use this very book for the next 2-3 years (depending on pace) and that's a lot of money saved.

When you start the third declension, just go slowly. Sometimes it takes a bit to sink in. Keep going even when it seems hard. There were a couple days in there that felt like dd needed to get over a hump (lex vs pars). You can keep going forward, and then in a few days, review anything that was particularly difficult. I'm not sure this makes any sense, but dd needs to review things from time to time, and it seems easier for her to go back to something from a week or two ago - suddenly it doesn't seem as hard as it did initially. Keeping a notebook of rules and such is a good idea. And keep working on learning the endings (I still have dd fill in a blank chart for me at the start of each lesson - just takes her a minute or two).

Thanks. We've already covered first and second declension in GSWL, and I myself am looking ahead to 3rd declension so I am better prepared when we hit it. We are keeping a notebook with tabs as recommended in the ML guide, and also index cards of grammar rules, which he is quizzed on weekly (along with the endings and their meanings)

I haven't used FF, but my understanding is that FF does not contain the amount of translation that Henle does, which is one of the great assets of Henle. I have seen it suggested that one could use FF and add the translations from Henle. The last I looked at FF, it was organized a bit differently, starting off with verbs, so adding translations may take a bit of juggling (if that were your approach, you could ask for tips from those posters who have done that).

FF is certainly an option. Naturally, it is the recommendation of its publisher, MP. I can't say I agree with all of MP's recommendations, and I personally prefer Henle for my dd at this time, in spite of formatting considerations. Which would be best for your dc depends on a number of factors (what type of student they are, how old they are, what their prior exposure to Latin has been, if any, and what you are looking for in a Latin program, etc.). Cost is another factor.

I haven't used FF, but my understanding is that FF does not contain the amount of translation that Henle does, which is one of the great assets of Henle. I have seen it suggested that one could use FF and add the translations from Henle. The last I looked at FF, it was organized a bit differently, starting off with verbs, so adding translations may take a bit of juggling (if that were your approach, you could ask for tips from those posters who have done that).

FF is certainly an option. Naturally, it is the recommendation of its publisher, MP. I can't say I agree with all of MP's recommendations, and I personally prefer Henle for my dd at this time, in spite of formatting considerations. Which would be best for your dc depends on a number of factors (what type of student they are, how old they are, what their prior exposure to Latin has been, if any, and what you are looking for in a Latin program, etc.). Cost is another factor.

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know that about the translation aspect. I will have to reevaluate once we get closer and see how much Latin and Grammar we have done at that point to decide which would be the better choice for us.

• 1 month later...

Just an update: we're on our 3rd week of Henle here (took time off for summer camp) and it's going very well. We're using the Memoria Press guide and keeping up fine. So far it's been doable; for those of you who are interested in using this for your 4th grader, I'll continue to update.

• 1 month later...

Things are going well! We are in Week 11 now, covering appositives. I have decided to take a couple of days "off schedule" next week to make sure our 3rd declension M/F/N (not doing i-stems yet) is solid before continuing with Week 12. We haven't hit anything overly difficult yet. Each day is about 30-60 minutes of work, some oral and some written. Older is enjoying it very much.

His goal is to try and read this. :lol:

How much Henle do you think it would take in order to be able to read Harry Potter in latin like that? Just curious.

Alot, methinks ;) But I think I will order it and we'll have fun translating a few sentences and comparing it to the original. I bet after 2 years he would be able to enjoy it a little.

Alot, methinks ;) But I think I will order it and we'll have fun translating a few sentences and comparing it to the original. I bet after 2 years he would be able to enjoy it a little.

I ordered this one for myself... I mean ds, too! ;)

Glad to know that Henle is working out well! I'm trying to decide what to do next year with ds in 4th. We're working through Latin Primer 1 and GSWL (alternating) this year. Both are going well, but I'm unsure whether we'll continue with Latin Primer or move on to Henle.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I appreciate it! :lurk5:

Can I ask an off topic question?:001_smile:

I'm looking ahead to starting latin next year. I will be teaching a 3rd and 5th grader together. We've tried adding it in before, but my current 4th grader struggles in other areas so we dropped it. Did you use GSWL on its own before moving into Henle? Or did you supplement? I feel like a fish out of water trying to choose a latin program for next year b/c I've never studied any latin except just the roots.

I'm looking ahead to starting latin next year. I will be teaching a 3rd and 5th grader together. We've tried adding it in before, but my current 4th grader struggles in other areas so we dropped it. Did you use GSWL on its own before moving into Henle? Or did you supplement? I feel like a fish out of water trying to choose a latin program for next year b/c I've never studied any latin except just the roots.

Yes, use GSWL first on its own. That's the whole idea - it's great preparation for a full-blown Latin program with a grammar and translation approach.

Just keep in mind that many/most 4th graders may not be ready for Henle, even after GSWL. You may want to wait on the younger one.

We used GSWL last year. We really liked it, but we've already covered more material in Henle in just 2 months. My younger is using Lively Latin. You might look into that--there are a lot of stories and supplements, as well as videos.