Menu

What would you do --history 3rd grade question

LAmom

I was planning to use MFW ECC for 3rd/1st grade. Now, if that doesn't work out for various reasons.... what would I use? I plan on eventually using TOG (starting in 4th/2nd) but was not ready to start that this year.

SOTW? MOH? Just for one year and quit the 4yr cycle? I guess I feel like I don't really have many other options. I am mainly worried about being able to afford ECC and also worried about getting sick of the same thing but different country (repetition like in ADV).

Any thoughts?

You could pick a SOTW volume and activity guide. It's ok if it's not in your 4-yr cycle. Another idea is to use a book like All Through the Ages (book of book lists based by history eras and geography) and use literature for studying history. We did the latter this year, and we really liked it. My big problem was not getting the books ahead of time and I lost steam half way through the year. Next year I'm back to SOTW.

Since you plan to start TOG soon I would probably just stick with reading biographies of important historians, your children are still plenty young that they'll get lots out of TOG. You could make up some worksheets to go along with your readings and if you have a good library it would be free.

I was planning to use MFW ECC for 3rd/1st grade. Now, if that doesn't work out for various reasons.... what would I use? I plan on eventually using TOG (starting in 4th/2nd) but was not ready to start that this year.

SOTW? MOH? Just for one year and quit the 4yr cycle? I guess I feel like I don't really have many other options. I am mainly worried about being able to afford ECC and also worried about getting sick of the same thing but different country (repetition like in ADV).

Any thoughts?

Galloping the Globe would be a lot of fun for your kids' ages. When I did it, the extra resources weren't that great other than the Children Around the World book,so I wouldn't bother with those unless there has been some big improvement. The cookbook wasn't available back then, but I would probably have used that. So, if you have a decent library and don't mind spending a little time planning an activity for each country, selecting some dvds like "A Family from Germany/Japan/whatever", you could have a great year fairly inexpensively. GTG was one of the best times we ever had homeschooling.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

You could use Beautiful Feet Early American History. I found the guide used and am using the library for most of the books. For Science, I am using Beautiful Feet History of Science. This the first time I have gotten a science curriculum up to this point we have used books from the library and followed the boys lead.

GtG has a similar flavor to ECC in that if you use the Missionary Stories with the Millers then you get the missions part. Of course it has you going to countries all over the globe. The science is mostly animals but there is some other stuff too like rainforest. You can easily use resources from the library that cover deserts and other areas. Here are some items that I think make it great:

A geog book--Children Like Me is good, I prefer How People Live**

Missionary Stories With the Millers

R&S 2nd grade geog book (I forget the title)

An animal encyclopedia**

Geography Songs is good if you have it.

A fable around the world book- I have 100 Tales Around the World**

You can print some resources at homeschoolshare

**Can be replaced with library books. Or finding them second hand is an option.

There are a few recipes and a few craft ideas in the guide. The cookbook and Global Art would be nice additions, but are not necessary.

We are almost finished with South Am and my dd is in love with it. About as much as she loves our FIAR studies.

With my kids, I have done an overview year for history, covering world history for the first part and American history for the latter part. I used CHOW for the world history (skipping the first 3 chapters and stopping after George Washington). You could add in some biographies or historical fiction as another poster mentioned from All Through the Ages or another guide.

For American history, I read through A First Book in American History, and Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans by Edward Eggleston. I also supplemented these with some biographies and historical fiction. To add some hands-on work, you could do a couple of lapbooks. I like a lot of the free ones on history subjects at homeschoolshare.com. You can also make a simple timeline as a hands-on activity to solidify information you are teaching.

I have found this approach to history to be very enjoyable and a great way for the kids to get a big picture view of history.

I'm excited about our American History year for my rising third grader. I came up with it :)

Day 1:

listen to 2 chapters of Am. History Stories by Mara Pratt (available as free downloadable audio on Librivox)

have ds read the chapter in the book afterwards for retention

look up and read corresponding Encyclopedia sections (we have Children's Encyclopedia of American History)

write down facts: dates, names, places, challenging words

Complete a map sheet (if any) from Complete Book of US History

Start Interactive Maps

Day 2:

Listen to 2-3 chapters of Am. History stories

have ds read the chapters in the book afterwards for retention

Read corresponding encyclopedia sections

Write down dates, names, places in fact sheet

Complete activity sheets from Complete Book of US History

Interactive 3D Maps project and/or Tools of Native Americans project

Read aloud corresponding section in American Story: 100 True Tales of American History

write short narration in notebooking page with timeline figure sticker

Edited by sagira