Menu

A "Shouldn't You Know This By Now?" Question (getting cash out at the bank)

I feel like such a dunce asking this... :p

So, I'm having a garage sale this weekend and am going to need a lot of small change (since most of my items are only going to be 25 cents). So I just go to the bank and get cash out, right? Well... I have a problem with that. I bank through USAA, which doesn't have physical branches! So, am I allowed take out cash at another bank? If I wrote them a check for $100, would they give me $100 in change? Would I need to pay a fee? How do I do this? :tongue_smilie:

You could always get money back when making a purchase at Target (or another store like that) and ask for it in change. I think even a grocery store would let you go to the customer service area and let you make a transaction for change. Good luck on your search.

PS You won't need anywhere near $100 in change. A lot of people will either pay in change or buy enough to pay in bills. I would think $20 would be more than enough. We usually just went with $10 though.

Go to the store, buy something, check out at the service counter, and ask for the change you want in the amounts/types you want it.

Hope you sell a lot!

Susan

Ooh, I can do this! I need to buy some stuff at the store anyway, so I can kill two birds with one stone (and have my kids buckled down in the shopping cart to boot. :tongue_smilie:)

You'll probably think of this, but don't go to a store and ask for change at a busy time (so they don't have to add more change to their register when there's a line of people).

Also, don't be surprised or offended if they say they can't do it. A lot of scammers try to confuse cashiers by asking for change in a certain way, and so some stores don't allow anything but giving change in the 'normal' way.

We always have $200 in 'change'....$50 in 1's, $50 in 5's and $50 in 10's and for the change I get 2-3 rolls of quarters, 2 rolls of dimes, etc. Everyone pays with twenties around here.

Get cash from an ATM and then head to customer service at a bank or at the grocery store. I can't imagine they wouldn't help!

This might depend on where you live. Here I had to go to the Customer service counter at Navy Federal Credit Union, like you, I bank through USAA, but none of the local banks would make change for me because I wasn't an account holder. Seemed dumb to me, but luckily dh still has an account through NFCU we use for deployments, so I could get change there.

This might depend on where you live. Here I had to go to the Customer service counter at Navy Federal Credit Union, like you, I bank through USAA, but none of the local banks would make change for me because I wasn't an account holder. Seemed dumb to me, but luckily dh still has an account through NFCU we use for deployments, so I could get change there.

I bank with NFCU and have the problem because there aren't any branches around here. I got a business account with a local bank just so I could cash checks easily.