Menu

Oh my! Looking at my DD's hair tonight and she has two big bald spots!

Does she play with her hair or twist it compulsively? I have heard of a condition where girls pick out their hair or play with it enough that they cause balding. Her age is right for onset. Here is a wiki article to explain it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

Otherwise, she may have had a knock or an injury years ago that caused the folicles to die. I have a gray section of hair in the exact place I was hit with a clod of dirt when I was 7 years old. I remember it clearly and the gray patch is fairly large.

HTH

Does she have any flaky or crusty patches on her scalp? 2 of my kids had this and lost chunks of hair. One had ringworm, the other something more like cradle cap. Both are a type of fungus. My dc w/ring worm received an anti-fungal shampoo along w/an oral anti-fungal, Sporanox. For my dd, we are just using Selsan Blue and it's clearing up.

If your dd's scalp is ok, check her thyroid. Low thyroid will cause hair loss, though not usually in chunks.

Whatever you do or don't find, I would take her to the doctor. I hope you find the cause and the cure.

Denise