Menu

Large families who don't combine subjects.

mom2agang

My crew isn't as big as yours, but I have teaching turns with each child and they work independently at other times. I do have them all on the same history/lit. rotation, but they each use materials that are appropriate to their age and ability. It also helps when I go to the library because I can go to the call number of the topic and pull books that work for my biggers and my littles.

Every weekend I print out lists for the coming week, separated by day. My kids know to get working on their school lists right after breakfast. I start working with them individually, usually doing the littlest two first so they don't whine about not getting a turn with Mama. :) I work my way up, finishing with the oldest so that I can check the independent work that she completed while I worked with the younger ones.

We have a block schedule, too. LA, math, and lit. are every day. Logic is Mondays. History is Tuesdays. Science is Wednesdays. Art/music is Thursdays. Writing is daily and corresponds to the topic of the day. I scheule a 4 day week.

I use very few teacher-intensive programs. Phonics Road is where I spend most of my time with each child. For math we use programs that can be done independently (Math Mammoth and CLE) so that I can easily teach a new concept and send them off to finish the rest.

I've made SOTW independent by using the audio CD and making history notebooks out of the SOTW student pages. I type up an assignment sheet to tell which chapter(s) to read/listen to and how to complete the map (using the instructions in the AG). That page also has space to write down what the child learned from that chapter. My biggers complete the test and write a paragraph or two.

It can also work for older kids to teach younger ones. My second dd loves science. She would happily do it all day. With her consent, I assign her to teach science to my third dd using Real Science Odyssey. They both enjoy it and it frees me up to work with someone else. :)

How do you get it all done? I have 11 kids and I've tried combining but it just doesn't work! But then I don't want to teach science to six different grades. Any advice?

I only have six and have a tough time ;). What I have done is let the two oldest work independently using textbooks. Thankfully my children don't think textbooks are boring or dry.

This year I may try America the Beautiful with Annette, it seems pretty organized. Josh will use Bob Jones Distance Learning.

This year I'm adding in a formal science and history for my two middle children (4th & 5th) and I'm going to try to add the two youngest (1st & 3rd). The years before I didn't have a formal history, they have listened to SOTW Vol. 1-3 almost daily for the past 3yrs :001_huh:

What makes it hard for me is my boys are all 'late' readers and need me for everything. Hopefully this year my two middle boys will get going with reading and can do some other subjects a bit more independently.

Next year all but my youngest will a math program via computer or dvd. Teaching Textbooks with my 3rd and 4th graders. Math-U-See with my 5th and 6th grader. I know I still need to be there but at least it will help free me up a bit.

I teach three different levels and have a toddler. I know that's only 4, but what I'm thinking is that you could group your kids, so not totally combining, not totally separate.

I use Heart of Dakota which lends itself very well to this method! Even with three levels we are still done around lunch, and unlike other programs that you can combine with, this one gets more independent each year from mid/upper elementary and up (can't do that with others b/c you have little ones that still need you reading aloud and such).

What are the ages/grades of your kids? I'd think you could get down to perhaps 4 levels maybe, with the upper ones being much more independent. HOD uses short lessons for each subject, making it much easier to schedule, b/c you don't need large chunks of time for any one thing. It is designed for a mom of many in mind! I'd be more than happy to help you configure placement to see if it's something that would work well for you.

First thing is to get an idea where each child places if they were an only child...based on skills... http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php Each level shows what skills should be already mastered, not what they're going to learn in that level.

Next, this http://www.heartofdakota.com/program-selection-chart.php gives you an idea of which guides have extensions for what ages and such. The way combining works with HOD, is you place to a younger child and there are well planned and well chosen books to extend the learning for the older child (independently). Math and Grammar/Dictation or spelling done at each child's level. Some of yours may also combine with math!

So, for example...let's say you have 1 that places in Bigger and is 8yo 3rd grader, 2 place in Preparing that are 9 and 10, in 4th and 5th . You'd put them all 3 in Bigger. 8 yo would do it as is. 9yo would do it as is, except next level of grammar and math. 10yo would do it as is, but his level of math/grammar, plus the extension set.

If that sounds confusing, ignore it...HOD has been the easiest to use program I've ever used!!!!!!

Edited by hmschooling

WOW!!!!

:grouphug::grouphug:

I don't like combining either but I've only got 5 in school. I'm adding in my 4yo this fall. So, I guess 6, but she won't take a lot of time. So I can tell you what I do and what I plan to do in the fall but my plan would NOT work for 11...I don't think (I've not tried it. ;)) I would suggest homeschooling the Michelle Duggar way but I think she does combine. So that probably wouldn't work for you.

My 7yodd was watching one of their videos and had to come tell me how they all gather around their great big table to do school together. Precipitated by the fact that we have our old kitchen table in the school room now which is kind of cool....sorry, tangent.

Here's the principle behind what I do. Maybe it'll spark a solution for you. I divide our work into independent and "with mom". I also divide the day into 20 min. time slots. I work from 8-5 with 20 min. for lunch and 20 min. for devotions to start the day. I assign 20 min. slots based on the needs. 4yo will get so many. 7yo will get so many etc. Even though I HATE combining I did put my 4th and 6th graders together for a read aloud and a bible study/geography study (we also use HOD). I also combined my 8th and 9th graders for a read-aloud/vocab study.

I work it all out ahead of time, but when the slots are filled up, they're filled up. Actually one thing I did do was start my 7yo this summer. That way we could a little bit less work each day but still get it all covered by next fall. I guess if you were pressed you could start at 7am or go to 6pm. 1/2 days on Saturdays? Homeschooling is hard enough and that kind of schedule sounds oppressive to me. So I'm really reluctant to say that out loud. But I know 8-5 probably sounds oppressive to people who are done by noon. You do what you gotta do for your kids. Tis but a season. My oldest is starting highschool this fall. I figure in 4 short years instead of adding students I'll start losing students. So I've almost crested the hill. ;)

ETA: I think it goes without saying that you pick and choose your teacher intensive subjects very carefully and then let the kids go off on their own with the others. Monitor it, grade it, encourage it, discuss it at whatever level you can manage and remember that there is only so much time in a day.

Edited by silliness7

I have six kids. I use a mix of methods-some online classes, some university model teaching (meeting times on specific days), and some just plain long days. We teach year round, so that we can stretch things out as well. I focus on core curriculum first. We follow some CM methods, short, focused lessons. My kids do a lot of interest-led research and reading and projects (I guess, unschooling?) in science, literature, and history in addition to what is already taught. I don't try to combine. It would drive them crazy (me, too). I have kids with abilities and interests that are all over the board. We do our best and just work hard. It is a great time.