Menu

Getting a puppy, need advice

Usually a female would do better with a male, and male with female. But if you are a strong "pack leader" then either a male or female would be just fine. Make sure you are really ready for the puppy, most people I know get a puppy just have one and then when the dog starts growing up and has behavioral issues, they bring it back to the adoption center. It makes me cry!

Is your dog dominate with other dogs, does she get along ok with other dogs? Before you adopt the puppy bring your dog in and evaluate how your dog and the puppy behave together, and with your kids. Make sure you are calm and assertive when the interation is going on, any negative energy will affect how your dog will act. Just watch closely!

HTH!! And please post pics of the new puppy when you get it!

Good Luck!:)

Every rescue person I spoke with told me if we have a female, get a male. One even told me that to foster for her facility, if they have a female to begin with, they need to add a male, then another female, in that order, then no more females.

So that's what I did - I added a male (neutered) puppy while we already had a 2yr old female (spayed). It's been great! They get along, they play, but no real "arguments".

When we got our female lab as a pup, we also brought home her sister. We ended up needing to rehome one of them because the fought so incredibly viciously. I'm not sure if it was because they were both females or if it was because they siblings, but I will never do it again as long as I live.

We adopted a female puppy last summer and have an older, unfixed female.

We've had no trouble. The two got along well from the beginning and then we got the puppy spayed as soon as we could. Occasionally the older dog has to put the young one in her place when she gets too rambunctious but that's actually been an advantage. We feel like we've got a partner in disciplining the pup. :D

But this is just one story. I've also heard that, as a rule, it's better to get a female if you've got a male or vice-versa.

I have five female dogs and one male-the male is a Great Pyranees 8 month old pup. So I'm dealing with a lot of strong personalities! I have few problems with the female issue, mostly it's juggling a dog with puppies and a guard dog and hunting dogs and herding dogs and elderly dogs!

In your situation, you have to think of your older female dog-is she dog friendly, mellow, puppy friendly? then you might be fine with another female pup and they will be besties like my oldest females. You just about can't go wrong with a male pup neutered ASAP. I prefer females, obviously, so I have to manage them and referee the occasional problem.

Congrats on your new family member!

Currently we have an almost 3yo female (spayed) dog. We are looking into adopting a puppy from the local shelter. Where I need advice is on what sex to pick, male or female. Would our dog do better with one or the other, or does it really not matter? TIA :D

Personal experience it really doesn't matter. We now have 3, first was a female and then we added sister/brother. They are all fixed. The sister get vicious at meal time with her brother so we have to lock her in the bathroom to eat. Otherwise brother goes hungry.:001_huh: He is such a wuss!

We at one time had 3 schnauzers, all female, one came to our home at a time. We never had any problems with them.