Menu

Spelling to read?

FrogMom5

It's been a long time since I was on this board. Now that my dd is 4, I will be asking for your help pretty often.:) My question is, can you teach a child to read by teaching spelling?

DD knows her basic letter sounds but we've not gone over combinations and so forth. She has also been able to read a bit since 3 but she is not interested. She says she would rather look at the pictures and "read" the story by memory (mix of memory and her making it up). All of that is ok w/me. She has begun to spell words to me and point out that some words have the same letter combinations. For example, 2 fs each in Clifford and Office Max. This started me wondering, would it be a good idea to teach her to read by teaching her how to spell? It's not the way I would normally go about teaching reading but, after almost 10 yrs. of homeschooling, I'm pretty flexible. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Denise

Absolutely! I use Spell to Write and Read as it makes the most sense to me of any system I have seen.

:iagree: I used SWR to teach my two oldest to read. To be fair, ds5 took off with his reading after listening in on his brother's phonogram drills before he turned 3yo but ds7 learned to read as a product of the full SWR program.

Similarly there is the classic method of teaching to read by teaching the spelling and pronunciation of syllables... see Elizabeth B's posts on using Webster's Speller. If I had a slightly older student learning to read who was decent at using a pencil, I'd have used this method, as it makes total sense. (In fact, it's how I'm trying to learn to read Russian.) However, as my son is only 3 and can't hold a pencil to save his life, let alone form letters, we're working on reading first, at least primarily - he does spell words by sound verbally (segmenting them) and then with letter magnets and stamps.

That being said, the Spalding methods aren't the only synthetic phonics methods which work through spelling. You could also use something like Phonics Pathways. We have it and use it, and the author advocates spelling at least ten or so of each day's reading words as part of the learning process.

Absolutely! My middle son is learning to read and spell at the same time. Even the Explode the Code workbooks work on both aspects from very early on. We just started using those this week, and spelling the words is really helping him remember the words when reading them. We also use Webster's Speller for reading, and sometimes have him spell the syllables or CVC words on the white board. This can be done with letter magnets for a non-writing child (this child wasn't writing when I started doing this... he's now ok with the writing in ETC, after practicing a lot on the white board, copying what I wrote for us to read).

You could see if your library has Writing Road to Reading (WRTR), which is the manual for the Spalding method. Even if you don't use the method, it's a good read just to see how it works. My dinky out-in-the-country library even had a copy.

Spalding and its spin-offs (SWR, Phonics Road, probably others) teach dc to read by teaching them to spell. It's a very effective method.

:iagree: I switched to PR (and spelling to read) this year. My third dd was 5 when we started. It was the easiest time I've had of teaching a child to read and she is a stronger reader at an earlier time. My second dd's reading has improved by leaps and bounds. :)

Thank you everyone. Your input really helps. We do have Phonics Pathways. I don't remember the part of spelling 10 of the days reading words so I need to go back and read that part. I'm thinking of trying All About Spelling but, honestly, the thought of all those tiles and rules makes my head hurt. Still, if it's what my dd needs, I'll take an asprin and proceed. :D Maybe I can try Phonics Pathways first, since I have it.

I apologize for not thanking you all sooner. I now have dd's sinus cold so I haven't been on here since I posted this and a question on the high school board.

Anyway, your help is appreciated.

Denise

Just a FYI...spelling to read didn't work for my ds8 with visual perception problems.

My dd6 learned to read by listening in on ds8's lessons though...so I know the method works for some kids.:tongue_smilie:

Yes, you're right about this one. My oldest is dyslexic and he learns to spell through reading, not the other way around. I haven't figured out my dd yet and dyslexia runs in my family.

With homeschooling, I find just when I think I know what I'm doing, what not to do and what to do right, the next child is so completely different. I feel like I'm starting all over. Anyway, thanks for making that point.

Denise

With homeschooling, I find just when I think I know what I'm doing, what not to do and what to do right, the next child is so completely different. I feel like I'm starting all over. Anyway, thanks for making that point.

Denise

You speak the truth!:iagree: