Menu

Pre-Algebra to Algebra Help me decide.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figure I would find more experience here.

For 7th grade this year DS started with Lial's BCM for math. About a month into it, I realized it was just too easy so he switched to the Aufmann Pre-Algebra book that Chalkdust uses. We got through to Chapter 6 but there are still 4 more chapters in the book to complete. He also did LOF Pre-Algebra 1 this year. He is doing the Pre-Algebra 2 book over the summer. Choices for 8th grade are ...

1. Continue in August with the Aufmann book, which I determined will take about 80 - 90 school days to complete, and then start an algebra text. I own both Lial's and Foerster. I was thinking of picking one and then allowing a year and a half to complete it, if needed.

2. Do another curriculum such as CLE Math 8, which I would have to buy, to really cement all the basic skills. I like how CLE has the student memorize many formulas and facts that ds probably would not do on his own. I also like that it constantly reviews past concepts. For instance ds has learned about prime numbers since 4th grade with Rightstart, but he still doesn't remember right away what they are. My concern is that this math is a bit easy which may not be all bad for a pubescent boy. I know they teach metric, as my younger son did CLE 5 this year, but I didn't see any in the samples for grade 8. If we went this route, Algebra would wait until 9th.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom.

I'm not familiar with any of the programs you've mentioned, but I would think it would be much better to pick one and stick with it. I don't think jumping around in math is helpful. When math is too easy, what we do is do more of it since the student can work through the easy material much faster than normal. Then when you get to new or more challenging material, they slow down and you know you've reached their level. If you do this with one program, like Lial's, you won't have gaps and your student will be well prepared for algebra. I wouldn't worry so much about where they'll end up and when, I'd just keep working through and you'll see where you end up. I don't know why you'd need more than a year to complete algebra, but again I'm not familiar with Lial's. It's a great advantage to be ahead in math when it comes to choosing science courses, so I wouldn't be trying to hold him back, but having a solid foundation in the basics is very important as well.

Hopefully you'll get more specific advice.

It sounds like he has already had a lot of prealgebra. I'd move on to algebra. You can always add in an arithmetic review.

How far did he get with BCM? The higher level material is mostly in the second half of the book. Also, BCM is perfect for doing a targeted review, meaning that you go through each concept with him and if he knows it cold, you move on rather than having him do every last problem.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think I will stay the course and finish the pre-algebra book and then move into algebra. I may be able to go through some chapters more quickly because he has done the material before. Credit-wise I hope I am not complicating things by starting Algebra mid-way through a year.

I don't know if we should have stayed with BCM. It just seemed like such a step backward after using Singapore in 5th and 6th grade. I think I should have used the spiral approach with him starting back in 5th grade because he is not good at learning things once and rarely reviewing them.

1. Continue in August with the Aufmann book' date=' which I determined will take about 80 - 90 school days to complete, and then start an algebra text. I own both Lial's and Foerster. I was thinking of picking one and then allowing a year and a half to complete it, if needed.

[/quote']

I vote for #1 followed by Foerster's Algebra because I think Foerster's is an outstanding text. I'll post my review below. We used Foerster's in 8th grade after a 7th grade year of MUS Algebra (easy) and LoF Algebra (challenging in part due to a bad fit for ds's learning style). I cracked the whip behind ds in order to complete Foerster's in a year. It wasn't that bad because he'd already had a year of Algebra. It would be beneficial to take over a year to complete it if it's the first exposure to Algebra. Ds completed the even or odd problems in all sections and he completed every single word problem.

If you had the desire, you could supplement with Patty Paper Geometry for a change of pace and a hands-on introduction to Geometry.

HTH!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We used Foerster’s Algebra in 8th grade after completing MUS Algebra (easy) and LoF Algebra (challenging). With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had done something different for 7th grade, perhaps MUS Algebra and Patty Paper Geometry. I was able to obtain the 1999 student book and 1999 teacher book used. I purchased the solutions manual new through Prentice Hall.

Pros:

• Clear, easy to understand explanations

• Explicit, step-by-step working through problems

• Sufficient practice and continual review of concepts

• Clear building upon and relationships between concepts

• Explicit demonstration of how to apply concepts to word problems

• Challenging, real-life word problems

• Solutions manual provides worked out solutions for every problem

• Solid preparation for SAT, sciences, college level math

• Amusing names in many word problems: Moe Delaune, Mary Thon, Fran Tick, etc.

• Math Without Borders DVDs available

Cons:

• None

Here is an example from Foerster’s Chapter 6 on the Quadratic Formula:

In Foerster's Chapter 6 they teach the quadratic formula. That's

x = [-b +- sqrt(b2-4ac)]/2a

(not easy to type here)

Within this chapter, they teach the vertical motion formula: d = rt - 5t(squared)

They have a section with 12 problems. The TM says to take 2 days to do these problems, but only do 3 problems a day. Here is the first one:

Football problem - A football is kicked into the air with an initial upward velocity of 25 meters per second (m/sec).

a. Calculate it's height after 2 seconds; 3 seconds

b. When will it be 20 meters above the ground?

c. Copy the diagram. Show the answers to part (a) in relationship to the 20 meters of part (b).

d. When will the ball hit the ground?

FWIW - I have a degree in math and ds is math-oriented.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think I will stay the course and finish the pre-algebra book and then move into algebra. I may be able to go through some chapters more quickly because he has done the material before. Credit-wise I hope I am not complicating things by starting Algebra mid-way through a year.

I don't know if we should have stayed with BCM. It just seemed like such a step backward after using Singapore in 5th and 6th grade.

No, I'm with you. We had the exact same situation here. We started BCM after Singapore 6, and it was way too easy. I almost switched after the second chapter, but I had her keep with it through the third - by that time I could see it was just going to be a miserable slog. So we switched to Lial's Prealgebra instead - she did so much better, attitude improved, and she double-timed it through the book and we actually finished it! We'll move on to Lial's Introductory Algebra in the fall.

I'd say finish the Pre-Algebra and go onto Alg I when done. If we hadn't finished the Pre-Alg by June, I'd already told her she'd be working through the summer, so that motivated her. :tongue_smilie: I'd say don't be afraid to pick up the pace in the Pre-Alg (and/or do it over the summer - we always do some math over the summer anyway, otherwise I'd be afraid all the math would fall out... ;))

Thanks,

Sue - I've added Patty Pan to my RR wishlist. It looks like fun. I even added the paper because my guys are big into making mini paper airplanes. And with 3 younger brothers, they'll get used.

I don't have the Foerster's Solution Manual, but I did get a copy of the Teachers Manual used at a curr. sale. I noticed while reading through it that tests are suggested in the middle of many (if not all) chapters. I assume these tests are included in the real expensive Teacher's Resource Book. It seems that students were tested in the middle and end of each chapter. I wonder if we are short changing our students by only having the one big test at the end of each chapter and without the benefit of a practice test first? If I do go with Foersters, maybe I will add a quiz half-way through each chapter. I do like the clean look of the book and the emphasis on challenging real life word problems. I also like how he "talks" to the student about how to work the examples on their own and how to study for a test.

matroyshka - I agree, math over the summer is a must. Ds is just about at the end of LOF Pre-Algebra 2, so maybe I will have him start back up with the Aufmann Pre-Algebra text next. He has already made it through the hardest chapter on variable expressions so most of the rest should be somewhat of a review. I like Lial's Introductory Algebra book because it has so many cheap resources and good explanations. Decisions, decisions.....